JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

12-14-2008, 11:46 AM

I can't tell you how many horror films I've seen. Soo many, and a lot of Japanese ones too. There seems to be a big difference generally in the horror films that are western and those that are Japanese to me.

Western ones I have seen are all gore and trying to shock you, whereas Japanese films try to build up suspense and creep you out.

Japanese films I find tend to incorporate a sense of reality and paranoia - something you could suspect in real life. Your attic, your mobile phone, a video tape - if it has a good impact on you, these things can kind of creep you out for a while after.

I just like western films particularly the old ones, the corny ones, because they are funny, and the special effects are cheesy. Don't watch them to be scared.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
12-14-2008, 07:10 PM

Japanese horror movies are scary as hell. Then again, I can't stand many horror movies myself.

I find that Japanese horror movies are, as everyone else has said, based more on creepy things that make you think moreso than a zombie popping in from another world and biting your nuts off before running away.

That's why I truly appricated the American movie, the Exorcism of Emily Rose. It was scary without a lot of American traditional horror flicks of gore and all that jazz, just because it was terrifying in it's own right.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
reihiino (Offline)
The North Remembers

12-14-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
I find that Japanese horror movies are, as everyone else has said, based more on creepy things that make you think moreso than a zombie popping in from another world and biting your nuts off before running away.

That's why I truly appricated the American movie, the Exorcism of Emily Rose. It was scary without a lot of American traditional horror flicks of gore and all that jazz, just because it was terrifying in it's own right.

I agree. Ringu & its American counterpart The Ring is the only movie that can creep me out. i made the mistake of watching them by myself...yea...not doing that again...

...& as for Exorcism of Emily Rose, I thought that movie was entertaining. Wasnt that based on the true accounts of a girl in Germany?

s the 10th doctor
s Verbal & Taku
(#14 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

12-14-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihiino View Post
I...& as for Exorcism of Emily Rose, I thought that movie was entertaining. Wasnt that based on the true accounts of a girl in Germany?
As far as I know, which isn't much, Emily Rose was based on the "true" account of a girl being possessed by multiple demons simultaneously. I don't know where the girl was either.

Ringu was amazingly good. It's American counterpart and rendition just didn't do it for me; too much focus on what American's love: blood, gore, and any form of death that is crazy.

-M@

Skadoosh.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Gwen_Goth (Offline)
addict

12-14-2008, 07:36 PM

American horror tends to rotate around visual horror; gore, violence etc to cause the scares; whereas i find J horror is more about the atmosphere, the build up and concept...

i cant say i like horror in general, im a right scardy, i enjoyed the Japanese Ring and The Eye, I haven't seen the American counterparts; as im not a fan of remakes in general, so i wouldn't compare.

yes; alot of Japanese horrors have their basis in Japanese myth and culture, so it may be why you don't connect with them so easily.

how do watch them? If you watch subtitled versions its better, i can't stand dubbed

-~Moddess ~-

▲ ▲
(#16 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-14-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
As far as I know, which isn't much, Emily Rose was based on the "true" account of a girl being possessed by multiple demons simultaneously. I don't know where the girl was either.

Ringu was amazingly good. It's American counterpart and rendition just didn't do it for me; too much focus on what American's love: blood, gore, and any form of death that is crazy.
That's true but historic accounts consider her condition to be mental illness that possesion. Theres are more realistic movie based on her, its called Requiem, i think.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
12-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Japanese horror is probably the only horror to ever scare me. I mean, when you've seen one American horror film, you've practically seen them all. :\

However, this one Canadian film trilogy, The Cube, The Cube 2: Hypercube, and Cube Zero; now those were interesting. And there was a bit of thought thrown in to each of the trapped characters' backgrounds, personally speaking.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

12-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheel View Post
That's true but historic accounts consider her condition to be mental illness that possesion. Theres are more realistic movie based on her, its called Requiem, i think.
I haven't heard of that movie, but yeah, that's why Emily Rose's main action revolved around a court hearing, and why the movie purpetuated and left with the idea of figuring it our for yourself. I'd like to see that same motif used in a Japanese horror flick, if it hasn't been done already.

-M@

Skadoosh.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
AnimeBaby112 (Offline)
Banned

12-14-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
There's only one movie that scares me, and that's Signs.
yay! no one thinks that is scary.
I think that Japanese horror movies are...creepy. Yeah some don't really have a plot but i do find them very entertaining.

I also love the American remakes. Totally bad.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Sutiiven (Offline)
nothingness

12-14-2008, 08:51 PM

What are some good J horror films to watch? I am tired of these stupid u.s. horror flicks that are very very dumb