JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
rhibee (Offline)
New to JF

HOW ARE JAPANESE HORROR FILMS DIFFERENT FROM WESTERN ONES? please reply - 05-07-2009, 08:50 AM

Hello I am a media student in Britain and am conducting research into how japanese culture affects their horror films and how this is different to american ones. For example, yurei and kabuki theatre make-up have influence in Ju-On.

Do you think these films are better than Hollywood ones?
If so why?

Thank you
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-07-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhibee View Post
Hello I am a media student in Britain and am conducting research into how japanese culture affects their horror films and how this is different to american ones. For example, yurei and kabuki theatre make-up have influence in Ju-On.

If so why?

Thank you
The beginning of the answer of your question comes from seeing the movie Kwaidan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwaidan_(film)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
rhibee (Offline)
New to JF

cheers - 05-07-2009, 09:03 AM

thanks for your help Ill check it out
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TenmaAi (Offline)
Demon_Love

Send a message via MSN to TenmaAi
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Lol i'm not good at this xD
But ever seen the grudge ? ( Ju-On (or something) = Japenese version) The Western version really really sucked in comparison with the Japanese one. ( My opinion ofcourse) But you can clearly see the different styles there when you watch the two!

xD Hope you're getting a little bit further with this xD

Bye's from Belgium!

....[VampiSupporter]....
x3 The Belgium Trio x3
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 10:44 AM

My area's film studies rather than the wider-reading media studies, but hopefully I can help.

Quote:
This is as huge a can of worms as the question "What is Britishness?" Is this for a short essay, a month of coursework, or a year's project?

If it's a project worth punting a few quid on, I strongly reccommend: Japanese Cinema: Texts and Contexts: Amazon.co.uk: Alastair Phillips, Julian Stringer: Books

Quote:
If so why?

Thank you
I tend to find that Hollywood horror matches American appetites. It is brash, often shot without much innovation, using extremely simple storytelling techniques, and tends to substitute for rape fantasy with its sexualisation of victimisation.

Japanese horror on the other hand tends toward either insanity (Tokyo Gore Police) or subtle storytelling with less emphasis on shlock and more on psychological frights (Audition comes to mind).

Oddly I used to believe that I didn't like the Horror genre. Then I realised that I just didn't like Hollywood horror

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 10:59 AM

In a nutshell;

American horror is more based off the 'jumping' moments. The movie itself isn't exactly scary or horrifying. Recently the concentration has been on gore scences.

Japanese horror makes you think, gets the gears grinding with ideas you dont want that end up in your head. Dispite the tendancy to have lots of gore or none at all. The usual scare tactic is not to make the viewer jump, but to make them think (about messed up possibilities/outcomes).

This is my view anyway. Take it and do what you will with it. Perhaps watching a few American/Japanese horrors will show you my point of view.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 11:13 AM

That's actually a very good point, TenmaAi. American remakes of Japanese horror will provide excellent commutation tests.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TenmaAi (Offline)
Demon_Love

Send a message via MSN to TenmaAi
05-07-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post
That's actually a very good point, TenmaAi. American remakes of Japanese horror will provide excellent commutation tests.
It's nothing! Glad I helped! ^^

....[VampiSupporter]....
x3 The Belgium Trio x3
(#9 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
05-07-2009, 12:19 PM

For one, they're actually scary...

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。