JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Why aren't foreigners "allowed" to be voice actors? - 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM

Doesn't anyone find it strange that foreign characters in anime,for example, are always voiced by Japanese people? I'm sure that I'm overthinking it and foreigners just don't want to be voice actors but it does strike me as more than a bit odd. Is it because they want clear Japanese voices and they're worried accents could get in the way?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Doesn't anyone find it strange that foreign characters in anime,for example, are always voiced by Japanese people? I'm sure that I'm overthinking it and foreigners just don't want to be voice actors but it does strike me as more than a bit odd. Is it because they want clear Japanese voices and they're worried accents could get in the way?
Not at all. Where else are you going to find native speakers?

Even within Japan, there are often characters using Japanese dialects that are not from those regions (especially Kansai dialect). Native speakers can hear the difference a mile away.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Anjin (Offline)
JF Regular

03-20-2011, 07:40 PM

It's not easy but possible.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-21-2011, 12:38 PM

Has a foreigner ever actually voiced a foreign character? I've never seen any.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

04-01-2011, 10:41 AM

There used to be a bulletin posted outside of where I lived that was seeking foreign voice actors for cartoons/games within Japan. Granted, I don't know if they were looking for English or Japanese, but at least the jobs exist.

More to your point, however, topics like these are easy to pick at subjectively but really don't make that much sense if you think about it. First and foremost, a cartoonist would have to create an anime. Then they'd have to sit and wait for not only a foreigner who speaks perfect Japanese, and has a decent enough voice to voice act, but also even wants to do voice acting. That's a pretty tall order considering the relatively small number of foreigners in Japan (let alone those who speak fluent Japanese, have the voice ability, and want that kind of job).

It's not weird at all.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Why aren't foreigners "allowed" to be voice actors?
What are you basing this information on?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#7 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
First and foremost, a cartoonist would have to create an anime. Then they'd have to sit and wait for not only a foreigner who speaks perfect Japanese, and has a decent enough voice to voice act, but also even wants to do voice acting. That's a pretty tall order considering the relatively small number of foreigners in Japan (let alone those who speak fluent Japanese, have the voice ability, and want that kind of job).

It's not weird at all.
Ah I see. It was just something I noticed,that's all,I'm sure there's no malice behind it.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Voice acting isn`t something you can just apply for and walk in off the street and do. There are dedicated schools for it, and you pretty much have to pass, be verified, and then enter a studio. Most voice actors/actresses attended these schools straight out of high school.

Foreigners in Japan just usually aren`t in the position to do this. You can`t get a visa to attend a voice acting school... Not to mention that the schools aren`t exactly cheap either.

And even then, you have to sign with a studio and work your way up through the ranks... Minor voice overs in dubbed films, commercial voice overs, nameless background characters in anime... And then if you`re lucky a regular part.

It`s a serious career.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-01-2011, 01:26 PM

It is a person who has the permanent resident status or it is a naturalized person.
Person who lives in Tokyo outskirts.
Person who can work by low wage.
Person who does not say selfishness.

It is difficult to satisfy it.
Because attitudes toward work are different, it is hard to treat it very much.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2011, 09:21 PM

The thing is,you have foreign characters that are supposed to be from the Anglosphere in anime and,I hate to say it,but they can't speak English.