JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Movies & TV (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/)
-   -   Battle Royale (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/27175-battle-royale.html)

hennaz 08-15-2009 08:26 PM

Battle Royale

The other day I finished reading the novel "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami. It was incredibly violent and gruesome, but yet exciting with an interesting setting and storyline. The book was even temporarily banned in Japan!
The stroy's set in modern-day Japan, but in an alternate timeline; Japan's a dictatorship, known as the "Republic of Greater East Asia". 42 high-school students are deported to a deserted island and have 24 hours to kill each other until one survivor is left standing. The characters are diverse with a range of skills and personalities; the good-looking, handsome wannabe rockstar Shuya, the polite and harmless Noriko, the wise, strong veteran Shogo, the cunning Shinji, the mean-spirited and seductive Mitsuko, martial artist Hiroki, the ruthless gangster Kazuo, and of course, the cruel-hearted game official Sakamochi.
Have any of read the book? What did you think of it? Would you recommend the movie and/or the manga?

RKitagawa 08-15-2009 10:25 PM

I haven't read the manga myself, but I'm a huge fan of the first movie.
This may sound kinda weird... but it was friggin hilarious!
Loved it, highly recommended.

nanda 08-16-2009 04:21 AM

ive seen the first movie.
i guess the idea is pretty sick. but yeah, it makes great movie.
wonder if hollywood want to remake it like what they did to shutter, ju-on and the ring. prolly it'll be awesome.

Aether 08-16-2009 04:32 AM

I've seen the movie and read the book. Both were good, but as usual, I felt the book was better. Everything was more vivid, and the plot has more time to develop.

hennaz 08-16-2009 09:47 AM

Movies based on books aren't usually as good as their book counterparts...

thcuteness 08-16-2009 01:09 PM

Ive only see the movie and i loved every second of it, lol ^^.

Sachiko 08-16-2009 01:23 PM

I deffinitely liked the concept,
I thought it was really intriguing and creative...

but yeah im terrible with gore, violence etc
so the movie took a while to get used to :|

Ronin4hire 08-16-2009 01:24 PM

The difference between the book and the movie is that the movie is set in the future as opposed to an alternate universe where Japan won WW2. Although the world in which it's set has little bearing on the plot apart from the fact that it sets up the carnage. Is it the same in the book?

BabyBee 08-20-2009 03:34 PM

I adore Battle Royale!
ive seen both the films..
and i have the book but ihave only readacouple of pages so far

i definately reccomend the films

Tatsuya Fujiwara <3 is my fave actor he's amazing in it :)
xoxo

Awsome-1@hotmail.co.uk
if you wanna chat

yuujirou 08-20-2009 03:38 PM

i love the girl in the video who explains teh concept of the game <3
she was so peppy about explaining their doom <3