JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Movies & TV (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/)
-   -   Akira Kurosawa. (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/27292-akira-kurosawa.html)

MasaruShin 08-22-2009 02:53 AM

Akira Kurosawa.

In my opinion, a Legendary Japanese film director for his time. I must have seen every one of his movies, re-mastered by The Criterion Collection. The movies are old, but the essence was very captivating. Toshiro Mifune was arguably my favorite actor within these films, since he appeared in nearly every one of them. Thoughts on Kurosawa-sama if you will. I would advise that you do not be blatantly disrespectful either, as this is a thread of rememberance and acknowledgement. If you do not like his work, simply do not respond here. I will now list the movies I have seen, not all of them are listed here either. Titles include but are not limited to:

Yojimbo
Seven Samurai
Stray Dog
Scandal
Sanjuro
Red Beard
Rashomon
The Lower Depths
The Hidden Fortress
The Bad Sleep Well
High and Low
Ran
Drunken Angel
Ikiru

Your thoughts please, including favorite film and actor. My personal favorite, was Seven Samurai.

GTJ 08-22-2009 04:35 AM

Kurosawa was without question, ahead of his time. His camerawork was top notch, and the music, though campy at times, had a memorable quality that really drove home the feeling of the scene.

And I agree that Mifune is a serious BOSS. I love him in everything he's done, most notably Seven Samurai.

Hatredcopter 08-22-2009 06:00 AM

I love Kurosawa's movies, and have watched most of them. Seven Samurai is no doubt his #1, and Toshiro Mifune is no doubt the most badass actor in his many movies. However, my personal favorite movie is Ikiru, and my personal favorite Kurosawa actor is Takashi Shimura. Ikiru is one of the few movies that has ever moved me to tears.

My other favorites are Yojimbo, Red Beard, High and Low, and Rashomon.

If you're a fan of Kurosawa, I'd also recommend the movie Harakiri. It is, in my opinion, the best non-Kurosawa movie to come out of Japan.

Aniki 08-22-2009 12:01 PM

Kurosawa was a perfectionist, so it's no surprise why he became so great.

Rose 08-22-2009 08:03 PM

Kurosawa is one of the best directors ever, probably second only to Kubrick. My favorite movies from him are:
  • Seven Samurai
  • Dreams (which you forgot in your list)
  • Rashomon
  • Yojimbo
  • Ran
  • Ikiru
  • Kagemusha
  • Red Beard

Miyavifan 08-26-2009 10:19 PM

Kurosawa is one of my absolute favorites.

I'm holding off naming any favorite movies, til I've seen all of them, if possible.

and as for Mifune. I think he's a really good actor, and can easily see why Kurosawa had him in so many of his films.

Sangetsu 08-27-2009 12:50 AM

I don't like "remastered" works. I like them as they were originally produced, rough, grainy, and soulful.

Not many people care for Kurosawa in Japan these days, the Japan depicted in his films is as foreign to young Japanese as Antarctica, which is a shame.