JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Movies & TV (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/)
-   -   Avatar: The Last Airbender (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/27488-avatar-last-airbender.html)

Tenchu 09-01-2009 03:46 PM

A Kung Fu dude told me it was worth watching, so I thought I'd download it... what kind of response does an anime orientated community here give it?

darksyndrem 09-01-2009 04:20 PM

*Waits for dezi*......

RKitagawa 09-01-2009 04:54 PM

I watched the first season only. But I can honestly say I enjoyed it quite a bit.
It is geared towards children though.
I recommend you give it a shot. Try the first season before downloading it all though.

Kanji_The_Wanderer 09-01-2009 05:46 PM

I've seen every episode, all three seasons. It has a more mature storyline then for just "children" it's geared more for teens. 13-14 year olds I'd say.

I believe it is the best cartoon Americans have ever made. Yes, it is animated by Koreans, but the story plot is American made.

It's one of those stories that only gets better as it advances.

Watch the first couple of episodes, if it's not your kind of thing, no real loss.

lizzey 09-01-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer (Post 767008)
I've seen every episode, all three seasons. It has a more mature storyline then for just "children" it's geared more for teens. 13-14 year olds I'd say.

I believe it is the best cartoon Americans have ever made. Yes, it is animated by Koreans, but the story plot is American made.

It's one of those stories that only gets better as it advances.

Watch the first couple of episodes, if it's not your kind of thing, no real loss.

Definitely is one of America's best cartoons.

There is going to be a live action movie. The teaser looks cool.:cool

thcuteness 09-01-2009 09:14 PM

Pretty good series ^^ althought if you miss an ep you'll be completely lost, lol. But the movie look like its going to be good so i cant wait.

Megabyte117 09-01-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

I believe it is the best cartoon Americans have ever made.
QFT.

If you're viewing it for the fighting styles, which there are plenty of, and if you're as knowledgeable of styles as you appear to be Tenchu, you'll have fun identifying them as there is a distinct one for each "element". It even gets better in the 2nd and 3rd season where more characters are introduced with individual styles and more time and care is devoted to them. The person the creators referred to is Sifu Kisu, maybe you've heard of him.

As a show, the beginning is a bit childish, yes, however it definitely becomes more mature in the 2nd and 3rd season.

Very good show, certainly better than most anime I've seen.

Ronin4hire 09-01-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzey (Post 767134)
Definitely is one of America's best cartoons.

There is going to be a live action movie. The teaser looks cool.:cool

I can't get over the fact that they didn't cast any Asians.

When you create a world inspired by Asian culture and mythology you should probably use Asian people.

I mean it would be like if they cast black people or asian people in Lord of the Rings. (Fantasy inspired by European culture and mythology)

Megabyte117 09-01-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin4hire (Post 767173)
I can't get over the fact that they didn't cast any Asians.

When you create a world inspired by Asian culture and mythology you should probably use Asian people.

Key word here being inspired. They didn't case Inuits as Sokka and Katara, but most of the citizens making up the other kingdoms will be African Americans, Asians, Indians, etc. M. Night specifically chose the lead roles, as in he personally flew them out to audition.

Ronin4hire 09-01-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megabyte117 (Post 767174)
Key word here being inspired. They didn't case Inuits as Sokka and Katara, but most of the citizens making up the other kingdoms will be African Americans, Asians, Indians, etc. M. Night specifically chose the lead roles, as in he personally flew them out to audition.

I'm sorry... my familiarity with Asian cultures means that I won't be able to watch this without cringeing. (Unless they've radically redesigned the world in the movie that is)

I don't think the themes will be powerful enough for me to get over it either... after all, it's based on a childrens cartoon.