JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-19-2010, 08:07 PM

I don't know where to get the images for the movie posters or the descriptions either, so I will forego those....

On the plane back to the States, the JAL entertainment system showed 3 movies I watched and I liked them all.... They were relatively recent, I guess....

A Boy and his Samurai

Shodo Girls (sort of reminded me of Linda, Linda, Linda)

Railways

Give them a chance... they were good....
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-19-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
I'm not suggesting it, just felt like sharing I'd watched it and had been a bit of a disappointment. I didn't know movies only get to be mentioned once in this thread, thought the whole point was to discuss movies and share titles, but whatever.
Japanese cinema isn't made out of J-horror movies, studio Ghibli animes, Akira Kurosawa and Takashi Mike movies. But these are pretty much what's being talked about all the time, here on JF. Realism threw a good idea, if you saw or know a barely known Japanese movie, that is good and give your opinion why is it worth to watch, or why others might find it interesting (and that doesn't fit in the OP's categories in the fist post), then please, do so. That's the whol point of this thread, and the last thing want is for it to turn into another 'My favourite Japanese movies are...' or 'The last movie I saw...' thread, which we already have enough. There are plenty of good movies out there that people don't know about, why not stick them here and introduce them?
(#43 (permalink))
Old
wappydoppy (Offline)
New to JF

01-27-2011, 07:46 AM

Hi - I have several films I'd like to recommend - the first is 'Tokyo Sonata' by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, which tells the story of a family basically falling apart - the salaryman father, wife, and two sons - one older, wanting to join the armed service, the other, younger, wanting to play the piano. I like the whole cast, but it's the father and the way he deals with the situation he's in that makes me think, 'Yeh there are people like that'. Another Kiyoshi Kurosawa film, quite a downbeat drama is 'Bright Future' - about two guys going nowhere - one with a pet jellyfish. I've not seen it in a while, but I remember it as being quite grey (in colour), except for the jellyfish, and I love the music that plays to accompany the jellyfish as the film goes on. I'd like to also mention Hirokazu Kore-Eda's film 'After Life' - which is the title of it in the West, but I think in Japanese it's 'Wonderful Life'. It's about a place where people go after they die, but before they 'move on' to the next life, or heaven, or wherever. Again it's fairly slow paced, but I think the whole idea of it and some of the ideas in it, are great - very imaginative, and a refreshingly different view from films I've seen from other parts of the world.

(#44 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-18-2011, 10:08 PM

肉弾 

The Human Bullet

Been so busy haven't had time to watch movies. But I finally got one. This is a great war satire, Maybe the best I've seen. It's about a guy who tries to die for his country and he travels around doing some crazy stuff, meeting crazy people. Everything that he does has to be in some form related to war. Pretty creative and hilarious movie. A great film if you can find it.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
jamiemao (Offline)
New to JF

06-28-2011, 12:54 PM

hey does anyone know where i can source a copy of the 1978 movie Manhunt with Ken Takakura?
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Japanchira (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Casshern & Goemon - 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM

I'm sure everyone knows Casshern and Goemon by Kazuaki Kiriya but I just love these films! The CGI is so beautiful I could frame every scene and put them on my wall. Although people say the story line is weak, I have watched both of them many many times and never lost interest, definitely two of my favourites!

Casshern
Quote:
In a world with an alternate history, a great war finally comes to an end leaving the earth diseased and polluted. The geneticist Dr. Azuma vies for support from the government for his neo-cell treatment that he claims can rejuvenate the body and regenerate humankind. The government leaders, guarding their own deeply entrenched powers, turn down the professor. Driven to complete his work, Dr. Azuma accepts a secret offer from a sinister faction of the powerful military. After an incident occurs in Dr. Azuma's lab, a race of mutant humans known as the Shinzo Ningen are unleashed upon the world. Now only the warrior known as Casshern, reincarnated with an invincible body, stands between the Shinzo Ningen and a world on the brink of annihilation.
Goemon
Quote:
16th century Japan. Legendary ninja warrior and Robin Hood-like bandit, Ishikawa Goemon (Eguchi) steals from the rich to feed the poor. In a fractured kingdom, he's faced with even greater sacrifices to bring peace and avenge his betrayed master.

(#47 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-29-2011, 11:53 AM

Well rules are made to be broken. I think you should have just said say ones people haven't heard of. I mean you say don't mention Kamen Rider films as if people were always talking about them!
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Japanchira (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2011, 12:04 PM

I know most people know these films but they have such bad reviews I just wanted to bring them into the light

(#49 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-11-2011, 05:25 AM

人のせっくすを笑うな

Do Not Laugh At Our Romance

This is simply a great and funny film no matter how you put it. It stars L from Death Note, and you see him in a different light here. He has a relation with a married teacher, but it's not what you think it is. It's a light-heart quirky comedy almost. You see their relationship and how others react to it. In the end everything returns to normal as if nothing happened. The acting and storytelling is very well-done.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Snow Prince

This is a great film, which I didn't expect. I thought it was one of those stupid dog-racing/sledding type of movies. I'm glad there wasn't anything like that in here. It's just about a poor kid trying to make it day by day in a village. And he befriends a girl from a rich family. Also Tadanobu Asano shows up in this movie as well, which I didn't expect at all. He gives a GREAT performance as a clown who performs in a circus. Can't go wrong with this one.