JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Movies & TV (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/)
-   -   Biblical waste of paper!! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/27975-biblical-waste-paper.html)

GTJ 09-30-2009 02:14 PM

Biblical waste of paper!!

(No pun intended on the title)

So has anybody else noticed that in Japanese TV, they seem to ALWAYS have a special board or paper or poster or something whipped up to visually express something, with peel away stickers covering up discussion topics or answers to questions or something? Is it not an ENOURMOUS waste of paper? Not to mention the poor designers who have to slap together those boring, unappealing things for every sentence the geinojin want to spit out. Good lord.

It just really bothers me how they have a special chart, sticker, or whatever for EVERY LITTLE THING. Really bothers me. And I felt I needed to get it out.

Anyone else?

Nyororin 10-01-2009 03:47 AM

At the very least, you can be certain they actually recycle all of the materials used in these charts.

In general, it`s cheaper than superimposing CG over something.

Banzai 10-01-2009 11:28 AM

Wow, I was just thinking the same thing earlier today. I was watching the news and I to thought "Hmm, I wonder what they do with those fancy boards and posters after they use them". But yeah, what Nyororin said is most likely true.

Columbine 10-01-2009 03:05 PM

What bugs me more is all the packaging you get. I bought a big packet of cookies from the supa that was about... the size of my head (bad week). Inside the outer pack was a plastic tray, then smaller plastic wrappers, in which there were cookies. Which were less than half the size of my palm and ALL individually wrapped AGAIN! so to get to one cookie you had to shift 4 layers of plastic out the way! That's insane!

I used to get funny looks as well, when I said I didn't need bags. Or disposable chopsticks. Well, they were a bit less fussed by the chopsticks, but at the conbini they used to automatically shove them in the bag without asking, and I'd have to pick them out and hand them back.

GTJ 10-01-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 774716)
What bugs me more is all the packaging you get. I bought a big packet of cookies from the supa that was about... the size of my head (bad week). Inside the outer pack was a plastic tray, then smaller plastic wrappers, in which there were cookies. Which were less than half the size of my palm and ALL individually wrapped AGAIN! so to get to one cookie you had to shift 4 layers of plastic out the way! That's insane!

I used to get funny looks as well, when I said I didn't need bags. Or disposable chopsticks. Well, they were a bit less fussed by the chopsticks, but at the conbini they used to automatically shove them in the bag without asking, and I'd have to pick them out and hand them back.

Yeah, wrapping things is a huge part of Japanese culture. Just look at the traditional clothing. Kimonos are nothing but layers, wrapped within one another, wrapping the person. Same goes with packaging (the individually-wrapped cookies piss me off too), but you gotta admit that Japan has the best package design in the world!

Columbine 10-01-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTJ (Post 774724)
Yeah, wrapping things is a huge part of Japanese culture. Just look at the traditional clothing. Kimonos are nothing but layers, wrapped within one another, wrapping the person. Same goes with packaging (the individually-wrapped cookies piss me off too), but you gotta admit that Japan has the best package design in the world!

yeah, but a kimono is wholly different. Originally it was designed so you could easily pick it apart once it was too shoddy to wear any more and recycle the fabric. Same with gift wrap; it used to be cloth.

However, having said that, the onigiri wrappers that keep the nori off the rice until you open it are pretty special.

trunker 10-02-2009 01:42 AM

hehe i dont really mind the paper or the written stuff, its just the whole point of the written stuff is amusing,...

like voicing an opinion isnt enough, for example:

"Kim Jong Il sleeps with monkeys, here i've written it down on this card with red borders see, so you know its true, see,... "sleeps with monkeys""

maybe they do it for the elderly who cant hear well?

seiki 10-02-2009 02:26 AM

could you give a link of an example of a video?

Nyororin 10-03-2009 03:39 AM

I don`t get the big deal about individually wrapped cookies - do you guys sit down and eat a WHOLE box of cookies in one go? Do you never put out cookies for guests?

Soggy cookies are awful.

GTJ 10-03-2009 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 775060)
do you guys sit down and eat a WHOLE box of cookies in one go?

Err... :rolleyes:

I think the individually wrapped bit might be, upon further reflection, because Japanese foods use little to no preservatives, if I'm not mistaken. Hence the silica gel packets in almost everything. This is a good thing, a great thing actually, but I think that's what merits the extra wrapping to keep things fresh. Am I wrong? This is my educated guess. I'm still deciphering Nutrition Information labels as I go.