LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

10-05-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
GTJ, you are shifting to "whiny gaijin" mode. This is a part of a slow-burn culture shock. I knew many people it happened to, and it is real common. After 4 to 6 months in Japan they we would meet up but instead of talking about cool new discoveries the conversations became nit-picky complaining sessions about Japan.
Speaking of nitpicking, why is it that some people on this forum are so nitpickingly sensitive about any comment that is not glorifying Japan? Last time I checked this was a Japan forum. This means talking about the good things and the bad, or weird for that matter...

Furthermore, for anyone who does not understand American humor, pointing out stuff that is different in a "what gives?" kind of manner is pretty common. Yeah, Seinfield did it to the extremes, but that humor is the basis of most American comedians. It's not necessarily negative, but it points out differences in a light-hearted manner and certainly not something to dig deep into. The topic was going well until someone jumped in and turned the topic sour real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Then again it doesn't help that the Japanese only have like three words for something that tastes good. Although recently the people on TV have been making more of an effort to actively describe flavors and such, which is a step in the right direction from just shouting "UMAI" with your mouth half-full.
Aside from the usual "Umai!"s and "Eeeeeeeeh!"s, every once in a while you get this guy who has a taste and then stares off into the distance as if entranced by the awesomeness he just put into his mouth . However, to me, their beer is just like any other... nasty, hard to swallow, and gets the job done!
(#32 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
Speaking of nitpicking, why is it that some people on this forum are so nitpickingly sensitive about any comment that is not glorifying Japan? Last time I checked this was a Japan forum. This means talking about the good things and the bad, or weird for that matter...

Furthermore, for anyone who does not understand American humor, pointing out stuff that is different in a "what gives?" kind of manner is pretty common. Yeah, Seinfield did it to the extremes, but that humor is the basis of most American comedians. It's not necessarily negative, but it points out differences in a light-hearted manner and certainly not something to dig deep into. The topic was going well until someone jumped in and turned the topic sour real quick.
If you are talking about me, then you obviously haven't read a lot of my posts. I am probably more critical of those that glorify Japan than nitpick.

And I don't think GTJ meant this thread as a joke, and if you read closely you will see this is one of a recent pattern of threads from him like this, so I gave my opinion as to why he might be getting nit-picky and frustrated with life in Japan.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
madlove (Offline)
New to JF

11-04-2009, 03:47 AM

either way, i'm not really a fan of beers. lol. i'd rather liquor...
(#34 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-04-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingUtensil View Post
Korean beer... god, I can't down that stuff.
Korean beer is meant to be accompanied with full heavy meal, just like soju. Apparently SK-bound foreigners in general don't know this at first.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-04-2009, 05:42 AM

OB beer's not bad.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
sdbri (Offline)
New to JF

12-09-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
As far as I can tell, the OP is borderline trolling. It's a COMMERCIAL. It's one thing to ask an inane question about why American infomercials have everyone fawning over their own product (because they're salesemen!!!), it's another to use that as an opportunity to bash America and all American culture in a steady stream of threads.