JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

Inception (2010) - 07-20-2010, 09:41 AM

This new movie is getting a lot of attention in Japan, partially because international Japanese superstar Ken Watanabe plays a major role.

Have you seen it? What do you think?

I expect it will be an Oscar nominated movie come next February.

Inception is expertly written and expertly executed with an all-star and international cast.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-20-2010, 10:06 AM

Looks amazing.

Havent seen it yet but here is a review from IGN

YouTube - Inception Review
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-20-2010, 10:52 AM

Meh, wasn't as good as Memento or The Prestige.
Didn't really grasp me like his other psychological movies did.
People were making such hype about it being an intelligent movie that you have to think a lot about.
I found it very straight forward and very predictable compared to his older works.
Ending didn't deliver like his other movies either.

[<--Nan's heart!]

Last edited by JayT : 07-20-2010 at 10:59 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
07-20-2010, 01:39 PM

I found it very good and intriguing even though i guessed what the ending was going to be like. It was very entertaining and i will say that the cinematography was fantastic and the movie in general was just great. Ken Watanabe does a great a job as usual he is of course one of my favorite Japanese actors. Leo does a great job as well i think he has found his calling with these types of movies.

I will say this right now my big problem with movies nowadays is writing but Inception had exceptional writing and it was executed superbly.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-20-2010, 01:49 PM

I thought it was a fantastic movie. While I didn't think it was as hard to understand as some people, I did appreciate all of the movies complexities and well thought out script. I thought it stacked up well against all of Nolan's other films. I cant wait to see it again, its one of the best movies I have seen in a long while.

And I find that most of the people that didn't like the movie, didn't like it because they thought it was to hard to understand.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-20-2010, 09:27 PM

^What was hard to understand about it?
It was a dream within a dream, within a dream.

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-20-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
Meh, wasn't as good as Memento or The Prestige.
Didn't really grasp me like his other psychological movies did.
People were making such hype about it being an intelligent movie that you have to think a lot about.
I found it very straight forward and very predictable compared to his older works.
Ending didn't deliver like his other movies either.
I disagree with about every statement in that post. Although I think Memento and The Prestige are great movies, The Prestige was not Nolan's original idea and Memento feels like a practice run to Inception (although it is a very well made one).

Compared to every other movie to come out this summer, calling Inception anything other than "intelligent" is simply not fair.

I guess it is straight forward in some ways, but like Lost, there are lots of little questions that are not clearly answered. I think you could argue about how many levels down had Cobb gone...was it 4, or 5? Was Mal right and Cobb wrong, or the other way around? Many things we accept, but when examined later become suspect (just like a dream..hmmm). For example, Saito says the longest international flight is Sydney to LA which is 10 hours. Not only is it not 10 hours (closer to 14) it isn't the longest. Newark to Singapore is 19 hours. Robert Fisher Jr. is the son of Maurice Fisher. Why is he "Jr."? Why does Cobb have an American accent and his father a British accent. How is Cobb's father in Paris, and then waiting for Cobb at the airport in LA? Why haven't Cobb's children grown? Cobb gets off the bullet train in Kyoto, but then is back in Tokyo. Cobb and Arthur talk about their ride on the roof at night, and then a few moments as they reach the roof it is light out. Why does Cobb use his wife's token? Where is his?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-20-2010, 11:47 PM

The accent? Really? Not everyone switches accents over, some people decide how they want to speak as well. My mother uses her British accent when talking to family in the UK and her American accent while she's in America.

Why couldn't the father have been in LA? He didn't have any criminal charges so nothing was keeping him from going back to America.

From the time Cobb talked to his father and recruited Ariadne, to the time they actually started there mission, it obviously was a while. Definitely long enough for his father to get to America. Or is there something I'm missing?

For things like going to Kyoto and being in Tokyo, and the light and dark situations,
is that really something to decipher or merely just a spoof since most people won't really notice.

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-20-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
The accent? Really? Not everyone switches accents over, some people decide how they want to speak as well. My mother uses her British accent when talking to family in the UK and her American accent while she's in America.

Why couldn't the father have been in LA? He didn't have any criminal charges so nothing was keeping him from going back to America.

From the time Cobb talked to his father and recruited Ariadne, to the time they actually started there mission, it obviously was a while. Definitely long enough for his father to get to America. Or is there something I'm missing?

For things like going to Kyoto and being in Tokyo, and the light and dark situations,
is that really something to decipher or merely just a spoof since most people won't really notice.
I realize the accent is a minor point, but Cobb's father is a professor in Paris. Where is Cobb's mother? Taking care of the children, we suspect. At Cobb's house in Los Angeles. We don't know how long Cobb has been gone (the end makes it appear to be the same day he left, as the children are in the same clothes, but we know that can't be true).

So if it is a while between the time Araidne is recruited and the mission is completed, why haven't the children aged and why are they in the same clothes? Where is the grandmother?

How does Saito find Cobb so easily?

Why does Arthur tell Cobb "our ride is here" at night, but it is daylight on the roof.

How do Cobb's children know Cobb's phone number at his hotel in Tokyo (or is it Kyoto) when he went there to escape from Cobol Corp?

Why is Cillian Murphy’s character named Robert Fischer Jr. when his dad’s name is Maurice?

Why does Cobb use his wife's token? Where is his?

I am not asking you to answer these questions, but I think these are "off" things" that we accept in the shared dream experience of watching a movie, but don't notice until the movie is over.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I realize the accent is a minor point, but Cobb's father is a professor in Paris. Where is Cobb's mother? Taking care of the children, we suspect. At Cobb's house in Los Angeles. We don't know how long Cobb has been gone (the end makes it appear to be the same day he left, as the children are in the same clothes, but we know that can't be true).

So if it is a while between the time Araidne is recruited and the mission is completed, why haven't the children aged and why are they in the same clothes? Where is the grandmother?

How does Saito find Cobb so easily?

Why does Arthur tell Cobb "our ride is here" at night, but it is daylight on the roof.

How do Cobb's children know Cobb's phone number at his hotel in Tokyo (or is it Kyoto) when he went there to escape from Cobol Corp?

Why is Cillian Murphy’s character named Robert Fischer Jr. when his dad’s name is Maurice?

Why does Cobb use his wife's token? Where is his?

I am not asking you to answer these questions, but I think these are "off" things" that we accept in the shared dream experience of watching a movie, but don't notice until the movie is over.
That is true, all good points.
Maybe I'm just too critical since all my friends said it'll be such a mind bender.
I was expecting to see a modern David Lynch film with special effects but that wasn't the case.

True Inception has a lot of points to be questioned, but Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive have tons as well.

Seeing Lost High at least 10 times, I still can't exactly explain why the events in the movie occurred in my own words.

[<--Nan's heart!]