JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
fungas1 (Offline)
New to JF

title of 60s/70s Japanese movie - son kills father by rolling him down mountain - 04-24-2011, 11:54 PM

Hi there,

I'm trying to find the name of an older Japanese movie from the 1960s or possibly early 1970s. I saw it when I was a young teen many moons ago.

I recall the movie was supposed to be an accurate depiction of what life was like in Japan for common people a long time ago (perhaps 12th or 13th century? maybe later?). The movie was in colour. There was little, if any, music during this movie.

The only scene I can definitely remember involved a middle-aged man and his elderly farther. The son takes his father to the top of a mountain, ties him up and then throws him (or rolls him) down the side of the mountain, which kills him. I think the purpose of this was to reduce the burden of taking care of the father for the family. Apparently the father knew what was going on near the end, and he was begging for his son to not go through with it.

The only other detail I can think of was that there was a lot of scenery shots of mountains & fog throughout it. It seemed like a very dark movie to me.

It may have been an art-house movie, but I'm not entirely sure.

I've been googling trying to find the title of this movie, but I'm having a hard time finding it.

Does anyone happen to know the name of this movie? I'd be very grateful if you can help me out.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM

I think it might be "NARAYAMA-BUSHI-KOU" which was released in 1958 and 1983(re-make). I'm not sure because I remember a men killed his mother in the movie.

English title is "Ballad of NARAYAMA". Search it in google.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.