(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-15-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortry View Post
You can like both, but OP asks which you like the most
I guess I don't understand the question. It's like saying "Which do you like more Japanese music or American music, Japanese comics or American comics, Japanese food or American food, Japanese people or American people?"

It's on a case by case basis.

I like Seven Samurai more than I like The Third Man which I like more than Yojimbo which I like more than V for Vendetta which I like more than Battle Royale...so I can't really answer.

We get these kinds of threads quite a bit, and pardon me for crashing the party, but I think if you can give an definitive answer, then you aren't really thinking about the question. There are great filmmakers on boths sides of the Pacific, and there are crappy ones, too. Both countries influence each other in how films are made, so the point is sort of moot.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
changcasyo (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I guess I don't understand the question. It's like saying "Which do you like more Japanese music or American music, Japanese comics or American comics, Japanese food or American food, Japanese people or American people?"

It's on a case by case basis.

I like Seven Samurai more than I like The Third Man which I like more than Yojimbo which I like more than V for Vendetta which I like more than Battle Royale...so I can't really answer.

We get these kinds of threads quite a bit, and pardon me for crashing the party, but I think if you can give an definitive answer, then you aren't really thinking about the question. There are great filmmakers on boths sides of the Pacific, and there are crappy ones, too. Both countries influence each other in how films are made, so the point is sort of moot.
i'm so sorry for the misleading statement i have here in my thread.. as what i have stated... i would like to ask which do you preffer most.. a japanese movie or an american movie in terms of your own taste... =D
(#6 (permalink))
Old
thatkid (Offline)
JF Regular

Um. - 01-17-2010, 04:01 AM

I prefer American Music, but that's because I am an American. I grew up listening to the the music produced in California and Texas. But I have explored Japanese music too. I am optimistic even when I can't seem to acquire a taste for certain groups. Sometimes the accents irritate me. But whatever. I am more into the American copy cat bands from there. Like The Pillows or Ellegarden and stuff. Dir En Grey was crazy and I enjoy that. Umm.. yep.

Using all of my sick time...

(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-17-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkid View Post
I prefer American Music, but that's because I am an American. I grew up listening to the the music produced in California and Texas. But I have explored Japanese music too. I am optimistic even when I can't seem to acquire a taste for certain groups. Sometimes the accents irritate me. But whatever. I am more into the American copy cat bands from there. Like The Pillows or Ellegarden and stuff. Dir En Grey was crazy and I enjoy that. Umm.. yep.
Actually his question was about movies.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
LifeisBeautiful (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2010, 02:50 AM

I'd say, generally, I prefer American directing in movies, but I guess I like the japanese movies' charm in their movies. The character development seems a lot more original.
What I mean is, there are a lot of reoccuring plots in movies.
American movies also have reoccuring character profiles. My mom got Mean Girls and Legally Blonde mixed up today ("Wait, doesn't she dress up as a bunny?")
I think Japanese movies do a better job of making every character different. Even if a character follows a general archetype, there's still enough of a difference in their character to make the movie interesting in their own way.
So I guess where I find myself is kind of in the middle of both.
I guess, in the end, prefer to watch American movies simply because they are easily available to me.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changcasyo View Post
i'm so sorry for the misleading statement i have here in my thread.. as what i have stated... i would like to ask which do you preffer most.. a japanese movie or an american movie in terms of your own taste... =D
It's still an odd question. There are Japanese movies I like, and Japanese movies I don't like, and Japanese movies I feel neutral about. Same goes for American movies. I like good Japanese movies better than bad American movies and vice versa. Case by case, as they like to say in Japan.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Runba (Offline)
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

Send a message via AIM to Runba Send a message via MSN to Runba Send a message via Yahoo to Runba Send a message via Skype™ to Runba
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM

OP is never going to get the answer they want because no one likes these movies in a black or white shade. Many people like things in shades of grey

さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!