JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shawn (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese horror movies - 10-20-2006, 05:23 PM

I've noticed that with The Ring and The Grudge that I really enjoy Japanese horror movies. Or more accurately, the product I get served here in the USA that was inspired or originated from Japanese horror movies.

What makes those films so great? Is it because they aren't the american teen hack and slash? Or is there something more complex to their success?

Just thinking out loud... err in text... to see what other opinions and insights are out there
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Okimoto_Tatsuki (Offline)
.KUBOnoSHUGAitami

10-20-2006, 06:43 PM

Ringu is the best!

What makes them awesome? I dont know...just good with technical props and stuff i suppose xD and acting?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

10-20-2006, 07:56 PM

Watched the Grudge 2 Japanese version the other night, freaks you out mentally.. while the american version just has alot of jumps

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ivory_byrd (Offline)
J*Rock Geisha

10-21-2006, 07:21 AM

if you really wanna figure it out watch some other ones than ringu and ju-on yeah they are pretty scary, but i think what they are getting at is that evil never goes away, (after seen about 20 different horror flicks from japan or japanese originated ex: pulse and dark water) that evil is all around and wont leave us alone no matter if we have anything to do with it or not. Some movies i recommend are:
marebito
Ju-On the Curse 1
Suicide Club
Audition
Premonition
One Missed Call

and for a bit of gorey humor
Uzumaki

but yeah basically thats what you like about it, i find myself tired of american horror films coz someone always has to live..... jeeze when will they learn and then they try to do a sequel to make us think that it wont go away but that fails horribly... please tell me if i am wrong...

...blah....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
reya (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to reya Send a message via Yahoo to reya
10-21-2006, 02:13 PM

Most likly what you like is the psychological thrill that comes with watching these movies. They have a way of keeping you on the edge of your seat. The other thing that could also be attracting you is the fact that they don't skip out on the gore, something that hack and slasher movies do. Another thing is that there is no pointless sex right in the middle of something... you know, something that disrupts the plotline. Don't mind me too much on this last one, I don't like any of the american horror films.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tsukikage (Offline)
6th div vice

10-21-2006, 07:30 PM

My opinion is that the americain film companies are (a) scared to make a real horror film and (b) want to make as much money as possable by having the oppertunity to have a pointless sequal where the only surviver of the last film is the first to die in the new film, after they get involved with a new group of 5+ people.
The Japanese film makers tell a less sugar coated story, but thats what makes their films so great! They arn't scared to be scared.

Bankai!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
purple cube man

Smile japanese horror movies - 10-21-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I've noticed that with The Ring and The Grudge that I really enjoy Japanese horror movies. Or more accurately, the product I get served here in the USA that was inspired or originated from Japanese horror movies.

What makes those films so great? Is it because they aren't the american teen hack and slash? Or is there something more complex to their success?

Just thinking out loud... err in text... to see what other opinions and insights are out there
ya aint that the truth but they were still good movies tho
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Shawn (Offline)
New to JF

10-23-2006, 04:36 PM

Some interesting points. I'm going to watch some of the movies recommended in this thread now (thanks Ivory!). Further my immersion in quality Japanese horror

The hollywood horror template is a bit stale it seems. A horror movies should be unforgiving and unpredicatble.

On a side note: I watched Grudge 2 this weekend and loved it. Freaky!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
maks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-23-2006, 04:47 PM

honestly, i love japanese horror films but my problem is sometimes i dont understand the ending of the film.....dont know if its hanging or i just dont understand .......anyway, i really love it....

(#10 (permalink))
Old
aphrodite (Offline)
Korean Bombshell <3

10-23-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okimoto_Tatsuki View Post
Ringu is the best!
i agree completely