Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-28-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
But Suki^^ it's still a remake

I just don't think that a remake should make it into the top 10 list.
Why not? There's more to a film than who was first to come up with the screenplay. You can give the very same script to two different directors for them to make a movie and one can turn out to be a masterpiece while the other makes the whole story look lame and unworthy of having been made into a film. Maybe it has all the more merit that Scorsese took someone else's script and made it into a great movie, even better than the one that had been made first.

Quote:
To the others, I don't think a movie should be in the top 10 just because it has had such a huge impact on cinema. Then Odysee 2001 must be in everybodys top 10 as well.
It is often found on Top 10 lists. No wonder why.

everything is relative and contradictory ~

Last edited by Suki : 04-28-2011 at 06:10 PM.
(#102 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Why not? There's more to a film than who was first to come up with the screenplay. You can give the very same script to two different directors for them to make a movie and one can turn out to be a masterpiece while the other makes the whole story look lame and unworthy of having been made into a film. Maybe it has all the more merit that Scorsese took someone else's script and made it into a great movie, even better than the one that had been made first.

It is often found on Top 10 lists. No wonder why.
And thats my point! It's one of the if not THE most boring movie ever made.. unfortunetly. It has no place there if you ask me and saying that it had such a huge impact doesn't change that the movie is so boring and almost unwatchable.

I don't know Suki.. a remake is a remake! No matter how good it is.
(#103 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
And thats my point! It's one of the if not THE most boring movie ever made.. unfortunetly. It has no place there if you ask me and saying that it had such a huge impact doesn't change that the movie is so boring and almost unwatchable.
Bobby, I guess I would ask you what the definition of a "Top 10 Film of All Time" is.

2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece of epic proportions, and may be Kubrick's best work.

It has every place as an esteemed film. It is a deep and fascinating movie that explores evolution, man's place in the universe, technology as a path to exploration, artificial intelligence and extraterrestrial life. Boring? Far from it.

Please take this in the spirit it is intended, when I say that Memories of Murder and U-Turn cannot get a foot in the door of a movie like 2001 or Apocalypse Now!.

Movies made simply for escape and entertainment are great, and they serve a purpose, but they are more like cotton candy than fine wine, they do not age well. The reason people still talk about 2001 and Apocalypse Now is that they are still good movies. That means they still hold up compared to movies coming out today.
(#104 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Movies made simply for escape and entertainment are great, and they serve a purpose, but they are more like cotton candy than fine wine, they do not age well. The reason people still talk about 2001 and Apocalypse Now is that they are still good movies. That means they still hold up compared to movies coming out today.
Well said.

(#105 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Bobby, I guess I would ask you what the definition of a "Top 10 Film of All Time" is.

2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece of epic proportions, and may be Kubrick's best work.

It has every place as an esteemed film. It is a deep and fascinating movie that explores evolution, man's place in the universe, technology as a path to exploration, artificial intelligence and extraterrestrial life. Boring? Far from it.

Please take this in the spirit it is intended, when I say that Memories of Murder and U-Turn cannot get a foot in the door of a movie like 2001 or Apocalypse Now!.

Yea, I think I understand you now.

I also agree that a "real" top ten list probably should focus on those movies who helped building cinematography and who had a massive impact on human kind for their following generations. I think thats probably the significance of a top ten All time "best" Movie list.. even though the problem I have now here still, is the part where "best" comes into play.

I really don't know if I could justify Stanley Kubricks 2001 Space Odysee to be in such a list, because is it really one of the best movies? Or did it just open a human fascination which somehow turned into reality??

I think Memories of Murder has many totally different messages than Apocalypse Now and 2001 and personally I think it deserves to be mentioned there. But I also just don'T know how you could even rank those movies?!

U turn of course is very Dark Comedy which is only in my favourite top 10 and I don't believe Dark Comedys like that could make it into a top 10 list!