JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: What makes a horror film really "scary"?
>3 GORE GORE GORE! 7 15.56%
o3o/ sycological is the way to go 33 73.33%
:P have yet to find a movie to be "scary" 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-02-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
I saw a couple of Korean horrors (something about of terror events in a high school) and I have to say that it was a rather amateur work by comparison to japanese masterpieces.
Really? I think there are some that are quite good, even when compared to Japanese horror, such as "A Tale of Two Sisters" - it wasn't terrifying or gorey, but it was a good psychological horror and didn't seem amateurish at all. "The Ghost" was also very chilling and creepy, it wasn't at all amateur and very psychological also, and - like the other film - it also seemed to theme around paranoia and the sense of self. So yeah, I agree with NanteNa on this one
(#12 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
01-09-2011, 03:49 AM

I feel that if a film has a psychological touch to it, then it's gonna be scary. Nothing is scarier than the decline or torture of the human mind. Period! And Asian movies always do this, which makes me happy.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
wappydoppy (Offline)
New to JF

01-26-2011, 01:35 AM

Hi, yeh I love the original 'Ring' film and 'Pulse' I thought was OK too. There's quite a few I like from Japan - one is called 'Reincarnation' directed by Takashi Shimizu - I really liked that - and another, is called 'Vital', directed by Shinya Tsukamoto - which I'm not really sure is horror, but it's about a guy trying to regain his memory of his girlfriend who died, and the way he goes about it - by dissecting a corpse. I'm not really into the whole vampire thing, but I thought Park Chan-Wook's film 'Thirst' was great - it's from Korea and is a lot more grown up than the usual teenage vampire stuff from the West. And from Hong Kong (I think), for a film I can't decide whether I like or feel sick about, is Fruit Chan's 'Dumplings'.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-26-2011, 01:40 AM

I liked Audition....
(#15 (permalink))
Old
wappydoppy (Offline)
New to JF

01-27-2011, 06:48 AM

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention 'The Eye' - I think there's a Hollywood remake of that too, like 'Ring' and 'The Grudge' (have Hollywood run out of their own ideas?) - but the original 'The Eye' is by Danny and Oxide Pang. There's 2 sequels too - 'The Eye 2' and 'The Eye...Infinity'. Worth checking out.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
02-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappydoppy View Post
Hi, yeh I love the original 'Ring' film and 'Pulse' I thought was OK too. There's quite a few I like from Japan - one is called 'Reincarnation' directed by Takashi Shimizu - I really liked that - and another, is called 'Vital', directed by Shinya Tsukamoto - which I'm not really sure is horror, but it's about a guy trying to regain his memory of his girlfriend who died, and the way he goes about it - by dissecting a corpse. I'm not really into the whole vampire thing, but I thought Park Chan-Wook's film 'Thirst' was great - it's from Korea and is a lot more grown up than the usual teenage vampire stuff from the West. And from Hong Kong (I think), for a film I can't decide whether I like or feel sick about, is Fruit Chan's 'Dumplings'.
I saw 'dumplings'. Freaked me out. Couldn't look at dumplings for a while without thinking 'who the hell did they kill to make those dumplings?' LOL.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-03-2011, 07:20 PM

it's hard to find takeshi miikes movies. only one i was able to get my hands on was Visitor Q...it was just retarded but i also was laughing half of the time. well...this image sums it up:
(#18 (permalink))
Old
AlexisSalas (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to AlexisSalas
02-20-2011, 12:13 AM

I must admit too that One missed called is a masterpiece, its soo goood. Fully loaded of awesome chills.
I must recomend and american film named Paranormal activity, its just as good as one missed called.

Rosetta Stone japanese programs seems to not helped me much...Need help with my japanese, looking for help plz!!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ryuhebi13 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-23-2011, 10:50 AM

It's got to be psychological for me. I can watch hours of gore without being affected but if something gets in my head, then I'm truly spooked. I've only really seen Ringu 1 & 2 (classic) but I'm gonna check out some of the titles mentioned. I actually thought Dark Water was pretty good too, although nowhere near as scarey as Ringu. More sad, due to the Moms sacrifice at the end.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
angelmod (Offline)
New to JF

03-03-2011, 12:28 PM

wishing stairs

Life is Pain