JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: What makes a horror film really "scary"?
>3 GORE GORE GORE! 7 15.56%
o3o/ sycological is the way to go 33 73.33%
:P have yet to find a movie to be "scary" 8 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
CaptinBenny (Offline)
New to JF

Question Best Japanese horror film anyone? - 12-23-2010, 03:19 AM

What are some good Japanese horror films?

I've seen Ringu (1 & 2) and Koma. i concider all three to be worth while horror films and honestly, Ringu scared me more than the American adaptaion of The Ring, because it was more sycological than gore. What are other good ones, and if you could, give a quick description of the film? Domo arigato!

"A great many of people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." -William James
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jillian2010 (Offline)
New to JF

12-23-2010, 08:58 AM

Tales from the Dead is the most horrible for me.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2010, 02:05 PM

I actually thought "One Missed Call" was rather good. It's very tense all the way through, and there's a scene towards the end that has everyone jumping in their seats.

I think that's the thing with Japanese horror, it's so psychological that it really gets in your head, and - like with the old Hitchcock kind of movies - they rely more on actual scares that gore and bloodshed. It's more about what you don't see than what you do. Don't get me wrong, I do love gore, but it's certainly not scary, just 'awesome special effects. Pass the popcorn?' So yeah, deffinately psychological, way better in horror films. There are some good American horror films of late though that rely on scares rather than gore, or use both, and they work quite well too
(#4 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

12-23-2010, 02:18 PM

I think Japan makes some pretty cool horror, one of my favorites being Pulse. Korea and Thailand put out some pretty dope stuff as well. Not that movies are really scary IMO, but sometimes I wish Japanese and other Asian horror films had larger budgets. Not necessarily for special effects, but to save them from looking like they've been shot with handy-cams.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#5 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
12-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Noroi: The Curse. I do believe I've mentioned it here, on another thread. It's a mockumentary. But those types really spook me out more than the explicit horror types.

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-24-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I think that's the thing with Japanese horror, it's so psychological that it really gets in your head, and - like with the old Hitchcock kind of movies - they rely more on actual scares that gore and bloodshed. It's more about what you don't see than what you do. Don't get me wrong, I do love gore, but it's certainly not scary, just 'awesome special effects. Pass the popcorn?' So yeah, deffinately psychological, way better in horror films. There are some good American horror films of late though that rely on scares rather than gore, or use both, and they work quite well too
Totally. As a cinema student, I've gone through pretty much every mechanism film makers use to make the audience feel tense and expectant. Hitckcock knew how to do that like no one else.

Horror is about suspense and getting the audience to feel like they wanna watch something they actually don't. I think Haneke's Funny Games is about the best example there is. This movie is the closest I've ever felt to "horror" when watching a movie. I know it ain't Japanese but oh well, I really can't imagine the story it tells taking place anywhere other than Germany.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#7 (permalink))
Old
nicelife2010 (Offline)
New to JF

12-24-2010, 08:36 AM

Gore Gore Gore!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

12-31-2010, 01:03 AM

Psycological ones are the scary ones. Its good to include gore in there but not just gore , other wise theres no meaning. Basiclly i like them to be suspensful.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
01-02-2011, 01:14 AM

I prefer Korean horrors cause they keep the focus on psychological torture and paranoia. Yet, I must admit that I don't flee if a bad, Thai horror is put on. Terrible editing, terrible language (no offense), terrible acting, terrible effects - GREAT entertainment ^^v

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#10 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post horror - 01-02-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
I prefer Korean horrors cause they keep the focus on psychological torture and paranoia.
I saw a couple of Korean horrors (something about of terror events in a high school) and I have to say that it was a rather amateur work by comparison to japanese masterpieces.