JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Megidolaon (Offline)
New to JF

Early Japanese history? - 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Are there any movies or documentaries about early Japanese history (Yamato Period or earlier)?
Or even any kind of anime or manga?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

07-15-2011, 05:31 PM

hmmm...i wonder what should you do...
well this could help
click the link
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Megidolaon (Offline)
New to JF

07-15-2011, 08:46 PM

(#4 (permalink))
Old
RTyokohama (Offline)
JF Regular

08-05-2011, 02:09 PM

• Phoenix(by Osamu Teduka)
    that story is fiction but Dawn(黎明編) is based on mythical age, Yamato(ヤマト編) is based on Yayoi period, Sun(太陽編) is based on Asuka period.
  • ナムジ, 神武, 蚤の王(sorry, I don't know that English title )
    these are Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's manga.
    many personages are based on Japanese mythology.

I don't remember that movies or documentaries.
only manga, hahaha. If you can read some Japanese, please check this out.
歴史漫画(historical fiction manga?) Japanese Wikipedia
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2011, 08:50 PM

In Japan they have quite a few 時代劇 or era dramas on TV, but most take place about 1000 years after when you are looking for..usually in the edo period (because a lot involve samurais etc), but maybe there could be some from earlier. To be honest the yamato period is not so common as a basis for pop. culture, but is very popular as a basis for research and historical discussion (because of immigration from Korea, introduction of Buddhism, etc.) so you should find a whole lot of academic stuff on it if you search for it.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-30-2011, 01:48 PM

I am currently reading a book "Embracing Defeat" about Japan after the war. It is really interesting. I would like to read Japanese accounts of that time also. I recently saw a DVD "THE Sun"-- a russian film about Emperor Hirohito before the surrender. whether He was depicted in a true fashion I do not know-=- but it was quite compelling nevertheless. His speech was not on this film. According to the film-- true or not? --The Emperor denied his divinity. I wonder how many Japanese truly believed in his divinity prior to this?

On Britains Pathe Plus site-- I saw the Emperor when he visited this country before the war.

Also I am reading accounts of the Sarin attacks--compiled by HARUKI Murakami. It is fascinating to read-- one thing that comes through is the way that many of those who were affected by the sarin-- still tried to make their way to work.

It was a dreadful thing. It seemed strange how so many of those who were affected were not helped by passers- by or other travellers.

I wonder if something similar happened on the London Underground-- the non-reaction would be similar.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 08-30-2011 at 01:51 PM.