JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

J dorama review: 14 sai no haha - 06-09-2007, 10:05 PM

Translated title: 14 year old mother.

This controrversial drama explores the issue of teen pregnancy in japan. The Story is how Miki(shida Mirai) copes with her preganancy and how she faces the world. She doesn't want to get rid of her baby as it's her lover's child, Her lover is Satoshi kirikune(i think). In fact she's adamant that she wants to carry it and give birth to it. A highly emotional drama, so if you're a sucker for those sad j doramas.

Personally, as i just finished watching this series just a few hours ago, Here are my thoughts:

the actress who portrayed Miki is very talented, but i was surprised at the fact that she did not look 14 at all, she looked about 12 which was more disturbing. The dorama was apparently filmed when Shida Mirai was 13. Even so, she looked weirdly childish,compared to her boyfriend who was MUCH taller than her.

The "sex" scene: the drama itself is not about how it happened so it rushed through this scene really quickly, infact, it just showed them holding each other's hands. Which kinda gave the impression, you can get pregnant from holding hands.

The parents: Miki's parents were impressive. Of course they were veterans at acting so they would be much better. Miki's father especially out shone most of the cast. His facial expressions were priceless and he portrayed, the loving yet angry father who couldnt believe his little girl was pregnant. Satoshi's mother was wonderfully evil and she captured the women trapped in a cold shell that society has formed around her because of the fact she was a single parents

I liked the idea that alot of possible consequences could have turned out for Miki as the drama shows, all these extras and different characters and there lives with children. They all showed a possibility for Miki.

The surprising cameo from takeshi sorimachi, aka great teacher onizula as a doctor in the paedaetrics (baby) unit when Miki gave birth was a utter shock. O_O i sat there watching it saying to myself: ONIZUKA'S A DOCTOR!!!

And finally, the series itself was good as it was emotional, but tbh after watching ichi rittoru no namida, it really didn't hit the heart strings for me. The debut episode was wonderful and perfectly executed, and then, personally it went downhill from there. The ending especially which was a rewarding ending, but once again, personally, it could have been much better.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"