JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Music (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/)
-   -   Racism against Japanese Music (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/3169-racism-against-japanese-music.html)

ilovedaisuke7 12-28-2007 04:15 PM

My mom doesn't really know what it sounds like but she's always calling them 'chinks' and 'japs'.
And my sister, well she's totally obsessed with pop music, and she's only heard like "GRIEF" - Dir en grey, so now she assumes that all Jrock sounds like that, and that there are no talented singers in Japan, except for a few Jpop singers, like Utada Hikaru and Koda Kumi. My sister is so annoying and stupid!
JROCK ISH THE BEST!

MelfinaPan 12-28-2007 04:44 PM

I'm not sure if it's a case of racism or not as far as the music mockery goes. I don't deem my parents as racist. They just don't understand why I listen to music in a language that I don't speak fluently (hence I don't understand the lyrics). To me it's no different than when my father listens to church hymns or opera sung in Italian, etc. He doesn't understand Latin or Italian, but he listens to it anyway for the memories and the feelings he gets from it. Same for me...

Let me make it clear that I am an American citizen and I'm not anti-American by any stretch of the imagination. In my opinion, I think racism on the part of older Americans has a lot to do with the way history is taught to them as children. It was taught in a super nationalistic kind of way where America could do no wrong and other sides of the story were never really explored. Sure they talked a lot about Pearl Harbor and the bomb drops on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. However, they didn't talk much about the camps that Japanese Americans were forced to go to nor did they question the ramifications of dropping those bombs and how it affected future generations of Japanese citizens who still suffer from the aftermath physically and emotionally. There's nothing wrong with Nationalism. It's fine to have an "America's the Best" mentality. You find that kind of nationalism in every country, but students should be presented with the facts from all sides. It's only more recently that chapters in American history books show more than one point of view. Phew...ramble, ramble...

forgotenmemory 12-28-2007 04:48 PM

I agree. Besides saying bad things on Japanese people because of the Pearl Harbor thing is ignorant. You have to forgive by the mistakes of other people.

Kaicui 12-28-2007 06:06 PM

tool is a old english indies death metal band i think

lpdirufangirl09 12-28-2007 06:44 PM

My dad used to do shit like that when I first started listening to J-rock. He would come in my room or in the computer room and say "you're listening to that jap crap again?" or "is this dumb en grey?". my mom doesn't mind it. for her it's just all the screaming and stuff like that, same w/ american music. my dad has lightened up a lot on it. now it's normal of me. when he went to dallas for work, he even stopped in a music store and tried to look for a dir en grey shirt or something like that for me. it's whatever to them now. lol. :vsign:

Kaicui 12-28-2007 06:49 PM

my dad tells me to listen to traditional japanese musicans like nobuo uematsu cuz he says jrock is ruining japanese culture

Uriko 12-28-2007 07:59 PM

yeah my dad started on the whole "you know in history, the japanese.." kaka. but i kept playing it anyway & now he just doesn't care.
my mom doesn't care one bit 'cause to her whether it's in english or japanese, it's all screaming she can't understand anyway.

haha (n_n)v

i'm going to the taste of chaos this year & from what i heard, people have been booing MUCC. makes me pretty mad just thinking about it. when i get there i'm gonna be screaming my lungs out cheering for them. >_<

listening to jrock isn't any different than people listening to irish/italian tenors, spanish love songs, or latin church hymns. jeez. & even if they don't like it can't they at least have the courtesy to not be so rude about it. i mean, when people listen to music i don't like i just don't go up to them & say "WHAT IS THAT SHIT" listening to a genre you're not fond of, isn't going to kill you.

clairebear 12-28-2007 08:00 PM

My parents dont even know what music I listen to. :cool:

MaymeRachael 12-28-2007 08:05 PM

I have a few friends that are into hardcore stuff and when we talk about bands like Diru they comment saying that they don't like them b/c they look strange and don't speak English! >_<' Sometimes they just get so wrapped up in what they listen to that they never look outside the box...?!

staypuft12 12-29-2007 05:27 AM

My folks seemed fine with me listening to japanese music, my dad even wanted some Malice Mizer put on his MP3 player for work, which I have done, the only racism I can see is that the japanese music industry doesn't seem to get a wider market, which it should, its a shame I can't go down to my local HMV and pick up some japanese music that I like, but hopefully that will happen in the near future I suppose it has in some ways with Moi Dix Mois becoming big in parts of europe!!!:D