(#121 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-02-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javen View Post
LOL Global means worldwide scale...including Japan
Japan is 2nd most consumers of music revenue...so it make sense that Japan sells most to itself
lol.. that is mathematically impossible at a glance. I mean we all know why USA is number one and that's because of it's spread accross the globe.

The idea that Japan could come SECOND to the powerhouse that is the US music industry on the back of its own consumers is pretty preposterous and can only really be backed up with NUMBERS or STATISTICS which is something you lack severely at the moment.

Quote:
Yes Asia is in the world...though it does not state if any of that revenue Japan gets come from Asia at all...it states global revenue...which basically equates to Japan's consumer market and niche markets in western countries
I think you're underestimating the consumer in Asia's interest in Japanese music and overestimating the size of this "niche" market in the West.

Quote:
and yes you are a jpop fanboy...blindly stating that jpop is more popular amongst other asian countries compared to kpop yet you never provided proof.
lol.. I didn't BLINDLY state anything. I only really got behind this debate once the stats were provided.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 10-02-2011 at 02:17 AM.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

10-02-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
lol.. that is mathematically impossible at a glance. I mean we all know why USA is number one and that's because of it's spread accross the globe.

The idea that Japan could come SECOND to the powerhouse that is the US music industry on the back of its own consumers is pretty preposterous and can only really be backed up with NUMBERS or STATISTICS which is something you lack severely at the moment.

I think you're underestimating the consumer in Asia's interest in Japanese music and overestimating the size of this "niche" market in the West.

lol.. I didn't BLINDLY state anything. I only really got behind this debate once the stats were provided.

how am I underestimating...do you have proof that jpop is mainstream in other Asian markets...do jpop songs hit number 1 in other asian markets outside of Japan recently?? don't make me laugh

you really don't know what your getting yourself into...you have no idea

last time I was in that side of the world...the top 10 best music albums were Local musicians, American Music, and Kpop.....Jpop is nowhere in site

hence why American market is number 1 because they sell everywhere...they aren't niche....Kpop is similar to that in Asia
(#123 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

10-02-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
how am I underestimating...do you have proof that jpop is mainstream in other Asian markets...do jpop songs hit number 1 in other asian markets outside of Japan recently?? don't make me laugh

you really don't know what your getting yourself into...you have no idea

last time I was in that side of the world...the top 10 best music albums were Local musicians, American Music, and Kpop.....Jpop is nowhere in site

hence why American market is number 1 because they sell everywhere...they aren't niche....Kpop is similar to that in Asia
lol.. yet another post with no evidence.

I'm not going to play this game.

Unless you give stats I'm not going to reply.

Have a nice time in that insular world of yours.
(#124 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

10-02-2011, 03:19 AM

As I said earlier

Quote:
This thread is going around in circles.

"Kpop is bigger than Jpop"

"Well according to these statistics...."

"Who cares about statistics! I have YOUTUBE and CONJECTURE based on my own limited perspective/wishful thinking that proves those statistics wrong!!!! Therefore Kpop is better than Jpop!"

"Well according to these statistics...."

Rinse and repeat.

FYI- Here's the thing about statistics. They're OBJECTIVE! (Or at least they're supposed to be).

So it doesn't matter what bullsh*t you think is true. If statistics that have been scientifically collated (therefore FOX news doesnt count) say something else then you're WRONG.
(#125 (permalink))
Old
Javen (Offline)
JF Regular

10-02-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
lol.. yet another post with no evidence.

I'm not going to play this game.

Unless you give stats I'm not going to reply.

Have a nice time in that insular world of yours.
LOL oh the irony...talking as if you even proved something...posting random stats that has nothing to do with the question at hand is not posting stats

'Korean Wave' of pop culture sweeps across Asia - CNN
eh I wouldn't expect much from an die hard jpop otaku

Last edited by Javen : 10-02-2011 at 05:04 AM.
(#126 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
10-24-2011, 12:54 PM

Ronin. Javen. Knock it off. You're just dragging this thing through the dirt for no reason. Just stop. It's going nowhere fast.
(#127 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
LOL oh the irony...talking as if you even proved something...posting random stats that has nothing to do with the question at hand is not posting stats

'Korean Wave' of pop culture sweeps across Asia - CNN
eh I wouldn't expect much from an die hard jpop otaku
CNN?
what about the third party stats showing Kpop exporting more than Jpop?
Still can't find those can you? They don't exist!
We are restricting the issue to Asia now?
What happened to world sales?
What about world wide exports?

by the way, CNN cited world wide exports(not just Asia) of 65 million in total media content meaning everything, not just Kpop(TV, movies etc..). Also, the number is actually pretty small for a media company. the movie "Spirited Away made export sales of $34 million just on that movie alone. What do you think the value of all those Anime, all those Monster movies, Jpop associated with the Anime, Games, toys etc and etc...

I have to clarify a point here because I see you using it to try to derail the debate along other lines. Kpop does have an awareness edge over Jpop in some poor Asian countries mainly because they see Kpop on TV. But the people of these countries don't buy the songs. They don't like Kpop enough to pay for it. Maybe these freeloaders are who you are talking about when you say the great popularity of Kpop on Asia. Popularity by what standards? Statistically, they don't count unless they buy a Kpop CD/song. This is fair since Jpop is not free. For a Thai/Filipino TV station to sow a Jpop music video, the station has to pay a lot of money. Japan is not promoting it;s media in Asia so licensing fees are very high. while Korea is trying to promote their media in Asia by letting Asian TV stations broadcast their contents for cheap. That is why Kdrama and Kpop is on Asian TV stations. Being seen on TV a lot has as much to do with promotion and agreements as popularity. The only true measure of popularity is product sales. Period. I actually have a copy of the article compared licensing fees between Japanese and Korean TV companies on my computer but its buried under 6TB of files. I'll be willing to look for it but YOU have to provide your World Wide Kpop exports > Than Jpop Exports stats first.

Another point I must make is I was restricting the comparison to Jpop vs Kpop sales around the world. From YOUR introduction of this CNN article, do you want to expand this to ALL media content around the world Korea Vs Japan? Japan would totally dominate and conquer Korea on that comparison! Sony Entertainment alone probably makes more money than all of the Korean entertainment companies combined!

Anyway, I have provided reliable and unquestionable stats showing Jpop is 2nd biggest sales worldwide while Korea is a mere 12th( Japan's music industry is about 12 times bigger too).

You say Kpop is bigger in Asia than Jpop but fail to provide third party stats. Instead you give me a CNN article stating KBS total export value(music, TV, movies, etc..) Youtube and personal opinion.

Until you can provide the stats, you have failed in proving your case. No matter how much you like Kpop, wishing/wanting it to be bigger than Jpop won't make it come true. Prove it or retract your statement. Otherwise, it is just your opinion.

Last edited by chiuchimu : 12-10-2011 at 07:00 AM.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
RustyBlackleford (Offline)
Banned

12-10-2011, 07:18 AM

It seems like it. Newer K-pop seems to be superior quality than newer J-pop, but older J-pop from the 80s is great stuff. Japanese have the Koreans beat when it comes to diversity of music: Bossa Nova, Jazz, Hip-hop, and traditional stuff like Enka. I love Japanese songs from the 60s and 70s too; not sure what the genre is called.
(#129 (permalink))
Old
xiiaoslacker (Offline)
New to JF

12-10-2011, 01:54 PM

K-pop has already dominated Singapore. J songs are long gone, but still got survivors [me of course]. To me, K-pop is just catchy and soon i'll get bored of it. Example is the Wonder girls. They sing nobody, now they really become nobody. But i heard they making comeback.
(#130 (permalink))
Old
RustyBlackleford (Offline)
Banned

12-10-2011, 05:12 PM

I agree. K-pop is catchy, but Japanese songs tend to have more staying power. Pop as a genre is made to be catchy while it first comes out then quickly forgotten. Make your bucks and split. Older songs in all cultures are generally remembered longer.