Eiri02 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Japans population is 130 million

Koreas population is 65 million

There is your answer.
HAHA LOL well my friend what more need be said?!?!?!!!?

We are art...aren't we?
(#32 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-09-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectChu View Post
Yeah i really think so to with the Korean stars going to Japan and not the other way around, and stars like rain, wonder girls and Boa making it in the states is kinda powerful dont you think

but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens to akenashi Jin
Jpop stars sometimes do go to Korea but non are popular. Korea is anti-Japanese,
Kpop stars can come to Japan and have some success because Japan isn't anti-Korean.
(It's not meant to be a racist statement-its just fact. )

with respect to "making it in the states". Don't make me laugh.

if that is making it in the states, then Pink Lady owned America!
Pink Lady (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by chiuchimu : 09-09-2010 at 06:06 AM.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM

Well, when I attended a few Japanese concerts here in America...I would gather the population was around 1000 or so.

I attended SM Town. Plenty more than one thousand showed up, and this was in LA.

There is your answer XD

Korean music is getting more popular. I don't blame it either, I love the musicians, the hip-hop, pop, and some rock.
I am not surprised. I think that it sounds more real to me...hm...

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

09-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
Jpop stars sometimes do go to Korea but non are popular. Korea is anti-Japanese,
Kpop stars can come to Japan and have some success because Japan isn't anti-Korean.
(It's not meant to be a racist statement-its just fact. )
I don't agree. Korea is not anti-Japanese. There may be a trend of Japanese dislike under certain circumstances, but that's not exactly the same thing. In any case, Japan also has it's own share of prejudice; the hate doesn't travel one way.

There's a reason why Japan as a nation is somewhat unpopular among other East-Asian countries. Refer to WW2. It's easy to dismiss things that happened a "long" time ago as unimportant. But if you lived through it - and we're only now reaching the generations that are untouched by the war - it probably wouldn't be so easy to forgive and forget. I'm not saying it's right to hold a grudge. I'm not saying it's wrong either... Who am I to criticize people who've witnessed what I couldn't fathom on my own.

If Korea is not disuaded from seeking the support of Japanese audiences, I'm curious to know just how much influence their prejudice amounts to. Has it not occured to anyone that Japan's somewhat unique pop culture has it's limits when reaching out to, specifically, Korea. Economic value can be a factor also, but I'm not willing to disqualify taste as an issue, just yet. We are talking about entertaintment, after all; taste is always an issue.

In the end, when watching Korean and Japanese programs and movies, I can appreciate the occassional references made about one-another in positive lights. It's only television, but it still represents, to me, how much closer the remaining conflicts are to being forgotten. And I'd take that over nothing, any day.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
I don't agree. Korea is not anti-Japanese. There may be a trend of Japanese dislike under certain circumstances, but that's not exactly the same thing. In any case, Japan also has it's own share of prejudice; the hate doesn't travel one way.

There's a reason why Japan as a nation is somewhat unpopular among other East-Asian countries. Refer to WW2. It's easy to dismiss things that happened a "long" time ago as unimportant. But if you lived through it - and we're only now reaching the generations that are untouched by the war - it probably wouldn't be so easy to forgive and forget. I'm not saying it's right to hold a grudge. I'm not saying it's wrong either... Who am I to criticize people who've witnessed what I couldn't fathom on my own.

If Korea is not disuaded from seeking the support of Japanese audiences, I'm curious to know just how much influence their prejudice amounts to. Has it not occured to anyone that Japan's somewhat unique pop culture has it's limits when reaching out to, specifically, Korea. Economic value can be a factor also, but I'm not willing to disqualify taste as an issue, just yet. We are talking about entertaintment, after all; taste is always an issue.

In the end, when watching Korean and Japanese programs and movies, I can appreciate the occassional references made about one-another in positive lights. It's only television, but it still represents, to me, how much closer the remaining conflicts are to being forgotten. And I'd take that over nothing, any day.
So not a single Japanese singer, more over, not a single Japanese song EVER was to the Korean audiences taste? Yet apparently our taste are enough alike that Japan buys Korean media? Even America had 'Sukiyaki' on their top ten billboard charts. Has there ever been a Korean song on the U.S. billboard top ten?

There will NEVER be a Jpop hit in Korea. It has nothing to do with taste, It is totally about cultural rivalry and hatred. I remember seeing AKB48 perform on a Korean music awards show (think Mnet). The expression on the Korean pop stars faces during the performance was openly negative towards AKB48. Some were making fun of the performance. Look it up on Youtube.

Korea is totally anti-Japan, come on, are you Korean? if yes, then you know that there are poles taken on Korean TV asking which country do you hate the most, The answer is always like 80% Japan. I think WW2 has a lot to do with it, but reality is reality. No reason to cover it up.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
So not a single Japanese singer, more over, not a single Japanese song EVER was to the Korean audiences taste? Yet apparently our taste are enough alike that Japan buys Korean media? Even America had 'Sukiyaki' on their top ten billboard charts. Has there ever been a Korean song on the U.S. billboard top ten?

There will NEVER be a Jpop hit in Korea. It has nothing to do with taste, It is totally about cultural rivalry and hatred. I remember seeing AKB48 perform on a Korean music awards show (think Mnet). The expression on the Korean pop stars faces during the performance was openly negative towards AKB48. Some were making fun of the performance. Look it up on Youtube.

Korea is totally anti-Japan, come on, are you Korean? if yes, then you know that there are poles taken on Korean TV asking which country do you hate the most, The answer is always like 80% Japan. I think WW2 has a lot to do with it, but reality is reality. No reason to cover it up.
Yeah I have to say I agree with this.

I saw a similar survey and created a thread about the topic of Korean hate towards Japan here

Korea Japan relations

The Japanese scored...

62% liked Korea
25% hated Korea
The rest (13%) had no opinion or no feelings of like or dislike towards Korea.

The same was asked to Koreans about Japan.

28& liked Japan
71% hated Japan
Just 1% had no opinion or no particular feelings of like or dislike towards Japan.

Dont get me wrong though Jaydalert... I agree that 25% of hate toward Korea is still a big number but compared to 71%? Thats intense.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

09-09-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:

No, I'm not Korean, but I am aware of the polls that are conducted. My overall opinion of it, is that it's a sick question to ask.

I tried searching for a video, but I couldn't find one under 'AKB48 Mnet'. If you can locate one, I'd be willing to check it out.

I was not trying to imply that not a single Japanese artist or song has ever appealed to a Korean audience. I was responding directly to your use of the term 'popular' which you included in your statement... and, to me, it changed the meaning significantly.

When it comes to America's top ten rankings, it all depends on which you're talking about and when. As far as the top ten goes, I'm unaware of any Korean artists to reach that high. However, there has been a recent top 100 hit: The Wonder Girl's "Nobody". It's not exactly the most profound detail to point out, in this case, but I believe there are some significant indications there.

I'm not attempting to cover up anything, really. I'm neither Korean nor Japanese; there's little to protect. And I'm not trying to pick one side over the other. I'm just trying to present a meaningful argument. I'm not convinced Korea, as a people, is anti-Japanese. Their society, as well as Japan's, seems too developed for that kind of irrationality on any official scale. There is some form of collective hate, without a doubt, just not to the extent that is being implied by things such as gossip or polls. As a nation, politically, however, I wouldn't doubt it. You and I seem to agree that the effects of WW2 are somewhat relevant for this.

I personally believe the relationship has nowhere to go but up, as long as things stay relatively peaceful in the world (that's another discussion). It is kind of philosophically hilarious, in my mind, that the two countries' foreign pop culture fans feel obligated to pick a side. It's just going to prolong the process towards improvement.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-09-2010, 10:07 PM

OKAY! Yes I do agree that K-Pop is becoming a big hit... and also I noticed that some of the songs are very easily exchanged for an English version of the song.

Yeah I still like J-Pop and J-Rock more.

It's true though, over in Asia the music scene is getting up and running. I think since the economy is better over there now, they actually can make music and art and stuff.

Don't forget about Taiwan! They are having some bands out too! Yep... so far I can't see any bands in China, or at least I haven't seen them yet.

Yeah, Hong kong they had some music, not sure if it was thanks to the British (some may disagree).

Music is like a cycle... but I don't care what country the music is from as long as it sounds good!
(#39 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

09-10-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atredies View Post
he needs a mother
Sigh. This is why I don't expect too much from Ronin.

Quote:
Just got back from my trip to Tokyo. Back to Seoul in a decade. Since I'm a Korean by origin I can tell you this. The anti-Japanese sentiment in Korea is almost always about Japanese politics. It has nothing to do with Japanese pop culture. The vast majority of anti-Japanese sentiment in Korea is about specific right-wing Japanese politicians or diplomats. It's not about harming ordinary Japanese civilians.

That survey itself has a problem. Do you like Japan/Korea means different things.

1. Japanese would consider this based on the Korean (pop) culture.
2. Koreans would consider this based on Japanese politics.

There is a bigger threat in Korea. It's not Japanese. It's the American military in Korea.

Oh yeah. You can listen to Namuro Amie's songs in the middle of Seoul and you don't get any stare. But yeah, many Koreans consider J-pop for being too Euro, believing that it is more suitable for the European listeners. If that helps you.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.

Last edited by komitsuki : 09-10-2010 at 01:48 AM.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-10-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Just got back from my trip to Tokyo. Back to Seoul in a decade. Since I'm a Korean by origin I can tell you this. The anti-Japanese sentiment in Korea is almost always about Japanese politics. It has nothing to do with Japanese pop culture. The vast majority of anti-Japanese sentiment in Korea is about specific right-wing Japanese politicians or diplomats. It's not about harming ordinary Japanese civilians.

That survey itself has a problem. Do you like Japan/Korea means different things.

1. Japanese would consider this based on the Korean (pop) culture.
2. Koreans would consider this based on Japanese politics.

There is a bigger threat in Korea. It's not Japanese. It's the American military in Korea.

Oh yeah. You can listen to Namuro Amie's songs in the middle of Seoul and you don't get any stare. But yeah, many Koreans consider J-pop for being too Euro, believing that it is more suitable for the European listeners. If that helps you.
lol.. too European.

I dont know even know what that means.

If any country has a "more European" music industry I would say it is South Korea with their plastic surgery accommodating thousands of young Korean women and their desire to have their noses lengthened and eyes widened.

Furthermore Girls generation are more like a desexualized version of the pussycat dolls.

Which isnt a good thing as it takes away the only thing that the pussycat dolls has going for them.