LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

08-12-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
But anyway here's a similar analogy. Let's not forget about the British Invasion bands such as the Beatles. UK didn't have a lot of people but its bands influenced a heavily-populated country called the USA decades ago. But Koreans you say? They have Viktor Tsoi (Father of Russian language rock who is a Soviet-Korean)
Get your facts straight before posting them. Viktor Tsoi isn't the father of Russian music. Russian rock was already showing sings in the 70's while Tsoi started his carrier in 1982. He's considered one of the pioneers of Russian rock who was noticed and got helped to start his musical carrier by Boris Grebenshchikov - one of the founding fathers of Russian rock.
And what kind of credit does Korea deserve it this. Yes Tsoi was half Korean, but that's it, he was born in Leningrad and only knew few Korean words in his lifetime. Korean music or culture didn't influence Tsoi in any way.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KylieHJensen (Offline)
JF Regular

08-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectChu View Post
Hey people im posting this to just check something out
Okey so when i was about 13-14 i had this really big thing for Jpop but something has happened during these last few years I dont know how but these days all i listen to is Kpop!!! I have this Group called projectchu where the kids dance to both Jpop and Kpop but i find myself not being able to relate to the new Jpop songs has something happened to the Jpop scene or is it just that Kpop has become much better??
No offends to anyone!! XD

YouTube - ‪ProjectChu's Channel‬‎
Much like Korean Drama overtaking the Japanese drama. Jpop is popular, but like all things, gets dull after awhile and people need something fresh.

"Knowledge is Power" ... Francis Bacon
凱麗黃珍森
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-13-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
Isn't he always like that? Blunt enough to make troubles and get temp banned several times?

But for K-pop being bigger (more popular) than J-pop? Population doesn't matter for comparing which genre is better or not due to every genre of popular songs are... just popular. Measuring the popularity of a genre by population is to me dumb.
I don't think he was being serious -- just being a troll.

It's simple, look at China and the U.S.: China having a population of about 1.3 billion. The United States having a populations of about 309 million. Population obviously isn't the answer.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Akihiko (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Akihiko
08-13-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post

It's simple, look at China and the U.S.: China having a population of about 1.3 billion. The United States having a populations of about 309 million. Population obviously isn't the answer.
But JPop is more spread around. Wouldn't that make it more popular?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-13-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akihiko View Post
But JPop is more spread around. Wouldn't that make it more popular?
I agree. Japanese pop is more popular at the moment.

However, that isn't due solely to population, which was the point of my post.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post

Well economics is a factor too.

China was a third world country and some people say it still is.

As far as Im aware.... pop music didnt even exist in China until relatively recently. (Hong Kong doesnt count because as we all know... Britain owned it up until the 90s and despite what Chinese nationalists say... Taiwan is not part of China)

Lets look at economies between Japan and Korea... Oh well what do you know.

Japan wins again.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

08-13-2010, 11:23 AM

This is turing into a troll thread. Is there a point to compare the popularity of pop songs between two random countries? Music is music. Songs are songs. Let's keep it that way.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

08-13-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Get your facts straight before posting them. Viktor Tsoi isn't the father of Russian music. Russian rock was already showing sings in the 70's while Tsoi started his carrier in 1982. He's considered one of the pioneers of Russian rock who was noticed and got helped to start his musical carrier by Boris Grebenshchikov - one of the founding fathers of Russian rock.
And what kind of credit does Korea deserve it this. Yes Tsoi was half Korean, but that's it, he was born in Leningrad and only knew few Korean words in his lifetime. Korean music or culture didn't influence Tsoi in any way.
A Korean who shared a painful collective memory of early 20th century. I think Viktor Tsoi represents the Korean mentality of han (a Korean concept somewhat similar to mono no aware in Japan) from his band's songs.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Sure, now, that I can agree with.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Atredies (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post

China was a third world country and some people say it still is.

As far as Im aware.... pop music didnt even exist in China until relatively recently. (Hong Kong doesnt count because as we all know... Britain owned it up until the 90s and despite what Chinese nationalists say... Taiwan is not part of China)

Lets look at economies between Japan and Korea... Oh well what do you know.

Japan wins again.
by your logic the british pop invasion should never be successful in the usa. uk's economy was shattered and dwarfed after the second world war. by your logic south korean pop songs should never be successful in china. the economy of southern korea is very tiny compare to china. by your logic my father should be listening to many japanese songs with his sony walkman in the 80s to today. popular culture has nothing to do with macroeconomics.

stop making stuffs up. it is making yourself bad. i do not want to start my morning like this. bye bye.