JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ProjectChu (Offline)
New to JF

Is Kpop becoming Bigger than Jpop - 08-10-2010, 10:52 PM

Hey people im posting this to just check something out
Okey so when i was about 13-14 i had this really big thing for Jpop but something has happened during these last few years I dont know how but these days all i listen to is Kpop!!! I have this Group called projectchu where the kids dance to both Jpop and Kpop but i find myself not being able to relate to the new Jpop songs has something happened to the Jpop scene or is it just that Kpop has become much better??
No offends to anyone!! XD

YouTube - ‪ProjectChu's Channel‬‎
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ParaPara (Offline)
JF Regular

08-11-2010, 01:23 AM

You know... The exact same thing is happening to me! I still listen to both J-pop and K-pop, but K-pop is growing on me.

I would like to apologize in advance for the lack of organization in my paragraphs. I jump from one idea to another pretty randomly

I discovered J-pop first about a year and a half ago. I like many artists, but mostly I listen to the idol groups. I think that is where the problem lies for me. I like most of the music put out by J-Idol groups like Morning Musume, Buono!, C-ute, and AKB-48, but lately I have been listening to them less and less, because the groups are getting too young for me to handle. I can't even watch the new videos put out by AKB, because they feature the idols running around scantily clothed. I just can't stomach it because I feel like I am watching something I shouldn't as I am 19... lol. What I like about J-pop is that it is so upbeat, nice, and mostly clean as far as I know.

Lately, I have been listening to a lot of K-pop. I like T-ara, SNSD (Girls Generation), After School, and others. I like it because it a lot more western than J-pop. I don't like boy bands in general because I'm a guy, but there are a few songs that are good, so I'll listen to them.

So, If I am looking for nice, upbeat, happy songs I listen to J-pop, and if I am looking for darker, sexier, more western songs, I go for K-pop.

Call me crazy, but as of right now, I don't listen to any male J-pop singers. For some reason I don't like it when guys sing in Japanese. Weird Huh

Not a fan of J-Rock or K-Rock by the way, just pop music.

LOL I was totally going to make this exact same thread. What a coincidence!

So, thats my two cents worth. Thanks for reading. What artists do you listen to.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-11-2010, 06:27 AM

Japans population is 130 million

Koreas population is 65 million

There is your answer.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post

There is your answer.
I dont know why, but that seemed unusually blunt coming from you, Ronin. lol

@op: I wouldn't say K-Pop is bigger than J-Pop -- yet.
K-Pop, in my opinion, has been growing significantly well in the past few years. Though, it isn't quite as "developed" as J-Pop seems to be... mostly due to time. It really might depend on who you're asking, in the end.

Whatever the case, K-Pop is growing in momentum. It's becoming increasingly more popular in other countries, primarily East Asian.

... And, personally, I do tend to prefer it over J-Pop. Although, I can enjoy J-Pop as well.
There's no category of music I can say I hate completely.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 08-11-2010 at 07:19 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ProjectChu (Offline)
New to JF

08-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Haha funny to know that I'm not the only one =P oh and no need to apologize I really dont pay attention XD

You know what!! I feel like i haven't been able to relate to Jpop since it feels like its getting more and more adapted for a younger crowd and when they try to make it more adult like it just feels wrong I dont know... it might be because of all the image jumping (and I am not saying Koreans doesn't do it as well, i mean look at Kara) A lot of the Girl groups in japan go from really cute school girls to sad teenagers to uber mega sexy women but its kinda hard to watch when theres a bunch of kids walking around n lingerie (akb48).
I mean I am 19 as well and i really dont remember the girl group back in the day being so young, there was alway the more mature and older members for example Yuko Nakazawa, Kaori Iida or Kei Yasuda in morning musume =O

I listen to a lot of Korean groups as well (After school, SNSD, T-ara, 2ne1,f(x), 4minute, Brown eyed girl´s) and your right about Kpop being more western, The reason for why i listen to more Asian music than western music is because its a lot more diverse.

Boy band in general was a real huh factor for me 2 years ago but i suddenly started to listen to Big bang and i kinda got the feeling that it was more about the skills and the song then it was about looking good and the popularity, i dont know maybe I am wrong =P I just start to judge Japanese boy bands right in the beginning because of the hair =P
Im a girl and i really dont think that every member needs to have the exact hair style or always has to give fan service XDXD ( I'm sorry to anyone reading this and feeling offended)

Not a fan of J-rock either but i love Asian Hip-hop, you should listen to Epik High, m-flo, rip slyme or dynamic duo =D

Thank you for the reply and it kind a funny you wanted to post about the same thing =P

Bye
(#6 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-11-2010, 09:18 PM

There has been an unusual increase in Pump it Up machines lately...

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-11-2010, 10:50 PM

I have this personal belief: They both have good Pop (because, well, Pop is a fairly broad genre); however, Japan has better Rock, and Korea has better Hip-Hop. Of course, it's not without faults, it's only a general concept. This is based only on my opinion.

I say this because I haven't noticed many successful rock bands in Korea (or ones with particular appeal to me), which is probably why C.N. Blue - who began their careers in Japan - was such a hit. The Japanese rock scene seems more refined, at the moment. And I've noticed more the influence of Hip-Hop in the Korean music industry... for example, the current trend of implementing the rap solo.
M-Flo's Verbal is one of my favorite Japanese rappers by language; he's Korean.

... But, as I said, I like most music, regardless.
Over-analyzing sometimes takes the beauty out of things.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 08-11-2010 at 11:01 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

08-12-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:

There is your answer.
haha i like this. But it just depends on the songs and how many people like it. I say their both good.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Akihiko (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Akihiko
08-12-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:

There is your answer.
I actually laughed. Good job sir!

But seriously, it isn't going to happen for a while.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
I dont know why, but that seemed unusually blunt coming from you, Ronin. lol
Isn't he always like that? Blunt enough to make troubles and get temp banned several times?

But anyway here's a similar analogy. Let's not forget about the British Invasion bands such as the Beatles. UK didn't have a lot of people but its bands influenced a heavily-populated country called the USA decades ago. But Koreans you say? They have Viktor Tsoi (Father of Russian language rock who is a Soviet-Korean). Or Cui Jian (Father of Chinese language rock who is a Korean).

But for K-pop being bigger (more popular) than J-pop? Population doesn't matter for comparing which genre is better or not due to every genre of popular songs are... just popular. Measuring the popularity of a genre by population is to me dumb.

I don't personally listen to Korean rock. Maybe Novasonic. FYI Korean rock isn't that big or pretty much indie. But as for K-pop, I don't listen to those that much. Well, thanks to Korean immigrants in Canada and the USA, K-pop has a relatively bigger presence over there.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.