JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Qayin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

What you think about "non dating" policy? - 08-26-2010, 04:45 PM

When I heard that some idols got fired from their agency because they dated boys/girls, I feel sorry for them. What I think is that when they're not performing, It's their personal time. For me, to have restriction in personal issue is quite bad. I know that there're some otaku that will go mad when they know that their idol got her boyfriend, married, pregnant, whatsoever. I don't think that they should care about that kind of otaku anyway because they're so unreasonable. (you know, the kind that always imagine that the girl is their.)

And...., I heard that in the past they even forbid idols to eat ramen because it's a junk food. Is it true?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
08-26-2010, 07:09 PM

I'ts true that many both Japanese and Korean superstars are forbidden to get involved in romantic relationships - mainly because this will cause a decrease in fan base.. I've never heard that they got fired for it though - never. But hey? Look at haido and Miyavi - they're both married and have kids, and their popularity hasn't decreased from what I know.

The ramen thing? It wouldn't surprise me, but I honestly cannot tell you.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-26-2010, 07:14 PM

Whatever the case, I dislike otakus primarily for this reason: they're usually selfish and (obviously) obssessive. The same with many fanatical, "hardcore" fans here in America. It's important to note the majority of these particular kinds of fans are younger -- or young-minded/immature.

I do think it's a shame that some agencies are bending over for these kinds of audiences, but I also can't blame them for their concern. Idols, in my opinion, aren't just individual musicians grouped together - especially in Japan - because although it may seem like it, they don't represent themselves like most solo-artists do... or, at least not to the same degree; they may have less freedom; they are more often commited to representing a message.

It may sound weird, but the way I see it, the nature of the concept of idols dictates they become a kind of "guardian" for their listeners -- a form of cheerleader (possibly explaining the number of members in any given group). Which is still definitely a respectable aspect of music.
... But when you find out your "guardian" has priorities other than cheering for you and motivating you, specifically having a romantic relationship with someone... you may get (subconsciously) offended. Taken into consideration that many otakus are immature, incapable of handling a number of realities, and that idols attract a lot of fans, which include many otaku... naturally that would mean many of their fans would be upset to find out their idols are engaging in romantic affairs. It's potentially a loss of profit (or the gain of "anti-fans" -- as sad as those are).

This is just all my opinion. Idols are intriguing because, to me, they are an example of the complexity of life and society. It's a trade-off; a tragedy invoked by human ambition. Their life seems as though it comes with some amazing rewards and some monstrous punishments. And, in this case, being prohibited of an intimate relationship is one of the "punishments" to be suffered.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
08-26-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Whatever the case, I dislike otakus primarily for this reason: they're usually selfish and (obviously) obssessive. The same with many fanatical, "hardcore" fans here in America. It's important to note the majority of these particular kinds of fans are younger -- or young-minded/immature.

although it may seem like it, they don't represent themselves like most solo-artists do...
I agree with you on the otaku thing - they're generally super scary people. We have/had one here who was over 30 years old. When people live a delusional life like that.. it's just scary.

And.. haido is not just a solo artist - js. He's also part of L'arc~En~Ciel and VAMPS. Not sure if you were referring to that.. but yeah.

I do agree with you tho, that most of these rules appear because of otakus being weird-ass beings.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
08-26-2010, 08:36 PM

I am an otaku, so I'll give my side of the story. I understand the 'no date' policy. If fans know an idol is in a relationship, they'll not be as interested. We like to think we've got a chance with her, even when we don't. Its all part of the fantasy. I've bought Rame's signature bass pick & have it on a necklace. Most idols know the rules & policies before they decide to become an idol. So all seems fair. As for the Ramen question, maybe some groups don't allow their idol's to eat ramen, but I think its fairly relaxed on the whole

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spoonybard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-26-2010, 08:48 PM

I don't think otaku are the only ones who obsess over their favorite Japanese... whatever it may be, because this isn't something restricted to Jpop. Many female VRock fans also think, "Such and such member of such and such band is mine" as well, and VRock bands aren't really considered "idols". Also, Kpop groups have a following that are generally more obsessive than JPop and VRock combined.

Personally, I love anime/manga and videogames very much, but don't really much care for Jpop. The genre I listen to is mostly VRock, and outside of VRock, I listen to metal, techno, and videogame soundtracks, as well as some movie soundtracks. I also believe that VRock bands will do whatever the hell they want in the end, and these deluded people should get over themselves, but unfortunately, as previously mentioned, most female "fans" are deluded.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qayin View Post
When I heard that some idols got fired from their agency because they dated boys/girls, I feel sorry for them. What I think is that when they're not performing, It's their personal time. For me, to have restriction in personal issue is quite bad. I know that there're some otaku that will go mad when they know that their idol got her boyfriend, married, pregnant, whatsoever. I don't think that they should care about that kind of otaku anyway because they're so unreasonable. (you know, the kind that always imagine that the girl is their.)

And...., I heard that in the past they even forbid idols to eat ramen because it's a junk food. Is it true?
They get fired because they break their contracts. That is the price of fame in Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-26-2010, 09:28 PM

please explain to me because this seems a bit..well a whole lot wierd to me.

so... the basic idea is, that there, apperantly, is so huge number of these hardcore fans who in their minds "are dating" these celebreties, so the companies include in contracts these points about the idol not beeing allowed dating? just so not to hurt their fan feelings?
and..like. its normal?
P.S then there is one more thing...ive seen those human size pillows with anime girl characters on them that fans have...so. its like everyday occurence for a guy (fan) to have one also?

dont take these questions the wrong way. just trying to understand the culture that im going to study.

Last edited by evanny : 08-26-2010 at 09:41 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
please explain to me because this seems a bit..well a whole lot wierd to me.

so... the basic idea is, that there, apperantly, is so huge number of these hardcore fans who in their minds "are dating" these celebreties, so the companies include in contracts these points about the idol not beeing allowed dating? just so not to hurt their fan feelings?
and..like. its normal?
P.S then there is one more thing...ive seen those human size pillows with anime girl characters on them that fans have...so. its like everyday occurence for a guy (fan) to have one also?

dont take these questions the wrong way. just trying to understand the culture that im going to study.
Depending on the talent agency, an idol is hired to not only be simply a singer or dancer, but a complete image. Sometimes that image includes a reputation of purity and innocence. For that reason the contract they sign may require they are not seen in public on a date. This is kind of like when American pop singers become spokespeople for Pepsi, so they sign a contract saying they won't be caught drinking Coke.

This is done to protect the idol's image. I think it is a stretch to say it is done for fans with over-active imaginations.

It is not an "everyday occurrence" for people to own those strange pillows. They are reserved for hardcore otaku, and are considered incredibly weird and creepy by most people in Japan.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-27-2010, 05:56 AM

ok. thanks for clearing that up