(#21 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossSC View Post
what it actually says is:
"musicians in these bands stood relatively still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state, hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes"
which is how the term "shoegazing" was born, it wasnt meant as a compliment but the term stuck.
And more important is this one, after the sentence you posted .

"The heavy use of effects pedals also contributed to the image of performers looking down at their feet (shoegazing) during concerts."
(#22 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2010, 07:14 AM

Asobi Seksu is pretty decent. I really liked their song called "Thursday" on their citrus album. I'm not always into this kind of music, which seems like a close relative to "noise" music, but there's something about that group... although it doesn't do it for me all the way.

I'm not sure that anyone cares, but if you go onto Roger Nichols's website he has credits on Citrus (in the scrolling list on his homepage)! I thought that was a trip if you think about what else he's involved in. I always associate him with the likes of Steely Dan (and particularly Donald Fagen) who seem to be quite different from "noise" music or the grunge of "shoegaze".
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Jaliyah (Offline)
New to JF

07-28-2011, 07:35 AM

I really like Asobi Seksu, and yea, Luminous Orange is admirable. However, I see the problem in that most of Japanese shoegaze/alt-rock bands are not any original, and what they play is adopted in-and-out Western (British or American) music. For this very reason, I like post-rock/noise/screamo bands more - Mono, Envy, Melt-Banana, Boredoms...
(#24 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2011, 10:31 PM

I didn't know the shoegaze genre. I've listened to a few differend bands just now and I must say, I like the sound a lot! Thanks for those recommendations! That's another genre to keep my eyes on.