JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Music (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/)
-   -   Japanese Shoegaze (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-music/8429-japanese-shoegaze.html)

standingonrooftops 10-07-2007 01:52 AM

Japanese Shoegaze

Hi there,

I am a big fan of shoegaze music fom japan. I listen to some bands from there and would like to know more bands.
At the moment I only know of the following bands;

clams
cosmicdust
cruyff in the bedroom
dive
guitar
hartfield
honeydip
luminous orange
maikotobranco
sugar plant
supercar
walrus
coaltar of the deepers

If you know some shoegaze bands in japanese please add to the list.

Thanks

Laine 10-07-2007 05:46 PM

Asobi Seksu is categorized as shoegaze. The vocalist (a Japanese woman) sings in both Japanese and English. They're based in NYC, though, not Japan.

Otherwise I don't know of any other shoegaze bands... I'm terrible with labelling genre. Since you like Luminous Orange, though, perhaps you'll enjoy Spangle call Lilli line and advantage Lucy as well.

standingonrooftops 10-08-2007 04:07 AM

hi laine,

thanks for the post.

ive heard of those bands you have mentioned and they have great sound.:)

i stumbled on a new band from japan lastnight called "nanocycle"
really good sound.
that will be my next cd to get.

;)

animedude3 10-08-2007 04:13 AM

umm, srry in advance about my cluelesness, but what IS shoegaze

standingonrooftops 10-08-2007 09:53 AM

you can read about shoegaze here;

Shoegazing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:D

Aleesunz 10-09-2007 12:59 PM

Omgz I loove Shoegaze <3 Like the ultimaatte loove <3

Wiki's definition of Shoegaze is awful though "DEY LIEK 2 STAND MOTIONLESS LUKING AT THEIR SHOES" : /

But aye, ignorant as it seems, I never knew Japanese shoegaze existed XD

Any bands tae recommend?

standingonrooftops 10-27-2007 09:12 AM

If anyone is interested, I stumbled across more japanese shoegaze bands the other night:

Burrrn
Junior
Mash
Oeil
Cosmic Airplane

enjoy

Jgazer 11-06-2007 05:51 PM

My Dead Girlfriend are a wonderband. Check them out.

standingonrooftops 11-13-2007 01:14 AM

ahh yes My Dead Girlfriend I found out about a couple weeks ago, really nice sound.

I also found another band on my internet travels, Boyfriends' Dead.
nice sound also.

I'm really impressed by all these bands coming out of Japan.

:)

Josella 11-16-2007 08:53 AM

I joined Japan Forum just to say thanks to you guys for recommending these bands! :rheart:

I've been looking for some Japanese shoegaze, and this thread has been a good reference guide.

One question though - I've heard some Guitar, and really liked them, but I thought they were German - or is there another, Japanese Guitar that I'm missing out on?

Anyway, thanks again!

:vsign:

standingonrooftops 11-20-2007 03:10 AM

Hi Josella,

Glad you like the thread.

I too was looking for japanese shoegaze after getting "No Thankyou" by Coaltar of the Deepers while in Japan a couple of years ago. After listening to that album I was hooked on J shoegaze.

Ive done heaps of net surfing and forum hunting to track down some bands and it has paid off.

The latest find are 2 bands, they are called: "Ileach" and "Kamiyui"

Track em down and enjoy there music.

:)

PeacefulxChaos 12-02-2007 10:06 PM

I didn't know there were Japanese shoegaze bands...well actually I didn't know there were any other than Sigur Ros in the entire genre, I've never found many bands that sounded anything like them(well I guess they're in the genre, but since I have nothing to compare them with right now, i'm keeping them there)...I will definitely be looking up those other bands though...

standingonrooftops 12-11-2007 02:00 AM

new bands

hello,

more japanese shoegaze bands to add to the list;

Civic
Daydrop
Hour Musik
Hate Everything You Hate
Black Infinate Space
Syojoskip
Lucy's Drive
Nap
Plastic Girl In Closet

Im off to japan tonight, hopefully i will find more bands while im shopping in shimokitazawa.

enjoy the tunes

seven hour days

standingonrooftops 01-26-2008 10:55 PM

New tunez

Found some Japanese shoegazey bands on my recent trip to Japan.

The Lemoms Chair
This No
Marconi
Hyperbolic Fables
Lure in Okhotsk
Robotme
Sputnik
Up-Tight
Brown Sugar

Check out The Perfect Noize streaming webcast and listen to a 1 hour mix of some shoegaze, post-rock, experimental and indie tunes. The playlists are updated once a month.
This months mix is a Japanese shoegaze special.
Have a listen here: theperfectnoize - www.myspace.com/theperfectnoize

Cheers

Visualxake 01-14-2009 11:13 AM

I don't know much about shoegaze. But you should try out this band called Downy. I know they use shoegaze elements in their songs. And are definitely worth a listen.:D

daydrop1990 04-08-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by standingonrooftops (Post 323060)
hello,

more japanese shoegaze bands to add to the list;

Civic
Daydrop
Hour Musik
Hate Everything You Hate
Black Infinate Space
Syojoskip
Lucy's Drive
Nap
Plastic Girl In Closet

Im off to japan tonight, hopefully i will find more bands while im shopping in shimokitazawa.

enjoy the tunes

seven hour days

hi there! i happen to be the leader of daydrop!
thanks for mentioning my modest little shoegaze unit,
it's a big honor to be mentioned along with lucy's drive and plastic girl in closet (both of them are awesome)!

our music is slightly different from our peers because what we are doing is a crossover of shoegaze and japanese anime music (strange as it seems, i think the combination works quite well...).
recently we've released our third ep.
all of our work is available for free download if any of you are interested
(mind you, i'm a terrible singer...)!
also, if you want to know more about other japanese shoegaze bands or would like to get hooked up with recommendations and perhaps a few mp3s, feel free to ask me.

daydrop on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

NJs 06-12-2009 06:56 PM

I was desperately trying to find japanese shoegaze bands, thanks a lot standingonrooftops :)
I'd like to mention a great band, well now it's disbanded so you may not heard of them, it's 'Nice Marbles'. I have their full discography so feel free to ask me :D
I discovered them with Coaltar of the Deepers in the album 'BECK Tribute - Greatful Sound'
Enjoy it ;-)

mrnanbu 02-11-2010 12:55 AM

I've been looking for mp3s of this 90s Japanese shoe gaze band called "the cute". They had a web site with mp3s, and lyrics. It does not exist anymore except this one page. Its not much help though:
cute on line

I remember 2 songs, one called "cigarette man" and this one amazing song called, "everything is paid". If anyone has any info, or better, any mp3s, I would be one happy guy!

mrnanbu

minimin 02-13-2010 07:18 AM

All i know for Shoegaze thats Japanese is Asobi seksu and I love them great music. I shared some in the video thread a while back. I will listen to some of the groups listed here too might find something i like. =]

RossSC 08-17-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleesunz (Post 261837)
Omgz I loove Shoegaze <3 Like the ultimaatte loove <3

Wiki's definition of Shoegaze is awful though "DEY LIEK 2 STAND MOTIONLESS LUKING AT THEIR SHOES" : /

But aye, ignorant as it seems, I never knew Japanese shoegaze existed XD

Any bands tae recommend?

what it actually says is:
"musicians in these bands stood relatively still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state, hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes"
which is how the term "shoegazing" was born, it wasnt meant as a compliment but the term stuck.

V1nn1 08-18-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RossSC (Post 824801)
what it actually says is:
"musicians in these bands stood relatively still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state, hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes"
which is how the term "shoegazing" was born, it wasnt meant as a compliment but the term stuck.

And more important is this one, after the sentence you posted :mtongue:.

"The heavy use of effects pedals also contributed to the image of performers looking down at their feet (shoegazing) during concerts."

steven 08-18-2010 07:14 AM

Asobi Seksu is pretty decent. I really liked their song called "Thursday" on their citrus album. I'm not always into this kind of music, which seems like a close relative to "noise" music, but there's something about that group... although it doesn't do it for me all the way.

I'm not sure that anyone cares, but if you go onto Roger Nichols's website he has credits on Citrus (in the scrolling list on his homepage)! I thought that was a trip if you think about what else he's involved in. I always associate him with the likes of Steely Dan (and particularly Donald Fagen) who seem to be quite different from "noise" music or the grunge of "shoegaze".

Jaliyah 07-28-2011 07:35 AM

I really like Asobi Seksu, and yea, Luminous Orange is admirable. However, I see the problem in that most of Japanese shoegaze/alt-rock bands are not any original, and what they play is adopted in-and-out Western (British or American) music. For this very reason, I like post-rock/noise/screamo bands more - Mono, Envy, Melt-Banana, Boredoms...

DragonNL 07-28-2011 10:31 PM

I didn't know the shoegaze genre. I've listened to a few differend bands just now and I must say, I like the sound a lot! Thanks for those recommendations! That's another genre to keep my eyes on. :)