JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
Martial Arts - 01-16-2008, 08:33 PM

I am quite interested in doing some type of martial art but I am not sure what to do. I have an interest in Aikido and karate but I am not sure which one I should really go with also I have no idea where I would learn Aikido from.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Saiga (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Saiga
01-17-2008, 01:03 AM

I would say try looking into a health club or maybe a fitness center...maybe even a college. I only say that because my college offers stuff like Aikido and other martial arts but only some. I hope you find somewhere that will have what you need.

What!? There is no stork that brings babies?!?!?!? Lies and Slander o.O!:

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-17-2008, 01:34 AM

What are your goals?

If you want to become super tough and have the option of competing in the ring I'd suggest Boxing, Muay Thai or Kyokushin Karate (or any other type of full contact, sport karate). I heard Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is pretty tough as well as Judo if you're into grappling over striking.

If you prefer to learn something traditional or spiritual then Aikido, Tai-Chi (or any other type of Kung-fu) might be for you.

Otherwise if you want to learn something Acrobatic and dynamic then Wu-shu, Capoiera or TaeKwondo might be your thing.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kiyuge (Offline)
o(≧ω≦)o

Send a message via AIM to Kiyuge Send a message via MSN to Kiyuge Send a message via Yahoo to Kiyuge
01-17-2008, 01:35 AM

I did Aikido and it was great its basicly stretching of the joints and there is alot of throwing (At the class I did anyways) But I would suggest Aikido ^^

Family:
Husband: Aota
Wife: Kiyuga
Master: Kiyuga, IonFortuna
Sisters: Nekozawa, HinataUchiha
Borhters: Sutiiven.
Silly Side-kick: Slykaz1
Secret Lover: SonozakiSotaro

I own:
Mitsu & Hachi- Dolly
Yasu - Acid Black Cherry
Furukawa - Nookicky
KAZ - Oblivian Dust

¬_¬
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kir0 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-18-2008, 04:10 PM

I do Taekwondo, kickboxing, and ground fighting. Those are all great. If you want to learn alot of diffrent kicks, go with Taekwondo, if you prefer your hands go for boxing, ground fighting(MMA style) is great if you ever wrestled, or just want to try it.

Martial arts are good for you mentally and physically.

One suggestion though, don't just go for any school, look into it, research it. There are some schools that are better than others.

Visited Japan in 2007.

I am female.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
buklao456 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-09-2008, 01:55 AM

it really up to you look around see what look good to you rite not im TKD and Judo but ived done muay thai

(#7 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
02-22-2008, 01:34 PM

even though people say aikido is very spiritual. If you practice it enough that it becomes muscle memory then you will probably incredibly strong without moving so much...lol

the reality is aikido, alot of chinese martial arts, ninjutsu, and most koryu (old school) STRESS, and when i say stress, i mean STRESS technique. Whereas karate, taekwondo, muay thai, pankration, karate and such, might have different moves, but they don't stress technique nearly as much.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
02-22-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir0 View Post
I do Taekwondo, kickboxing, and ground fighting. Those are all great. If you want to learn alot of diffrent kicks, go with Taekwondo, if you prefer your hands go for boxing, ground fighting(MMA style) is great if you ever wrestled, or just want to try it.

Martial arts are good for you mentally and physically.

One suggestion though, don't just go for any school, look into it, research it. There are some schools that are better than others.
MMA i don't like so much...Its made for competition, not for outside battle. Me and my friends used to "spar" but really actually trying to ascert our surpiority over the other so we actually were trying to hurt the other person into submission. If you asked me which i'd choose, I'd say pankration, and/ or muaythai...that's it...brazilian jyu jutsu and japnese jyujutsu just have different airs, but i don't liek how it STICKS to the ground, like you belong on the ground, even though your supposed to stand up. I'm more like the person that if i go down, I'm breaking a hinge joint, simple. Now because people are seeing what is what and how, in and octogaon ring, makes MMA more popular, i don't see why...Yes its awesome, loved it until noone had no new styles, in which case i was like fuck this...

what i really want to do, but can't for reasons that are distrubing are ninjutsu, as my base, northern mantis, ba gua or taichi, piqua and baji....o and aikido or aikijyujutsu...but that'sjust me...lol

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
aldine (Offline)
JF Regular

03-26-2008, 12:12 AM

Aikido!

-releases tension
-increases flexibility & endurance
-establishes camaraderie among aikidokas
-non competitive (key is harmony!)
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
03-26-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldine View Post
Aikido!

-releases tension
-increases flexibility & endurance
-establishes camaraderie among aikidokas
-non competitive (key is harmony!)

+ It changes the way you think about your opponent and the fight(ing) itself... which helps you see clearly in stressful situations and not only when engaged against an opponent.
I regret sooo much the fact that i left aikido... from all the martial arts i have done, that is the one i would like to return to the most.