JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KyotoTEA (Offline)
New to JF

Tennis in Japan?? - 01-26-2009, 03:53 AM

I play competitive tennis in Canada, but do they have the same thing in Japan?
Does anyone know if there are programs for junior development, if there are national tournaments etc?
Thanks for the help ^^
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-26-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoTEA View Post
I play competitive tennis in Canada, but do they have the same thing in Japan?
Does anyone know if there are programs for junior development, if there are national tournaments etc?
Thanks for the help ^^
Yes, tennis is a very popular sport in Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
01-27-2009, 03:16 AM

If we're to learn anything from anime, Prince of Tennis teaches us to serve at a powerlevel over 9000.

Gawd, I watched one episode of that anime, and was laughing so much I was in tears.

Seriously. Service? Over 9000? It can be done.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyotoTEA (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSight View Post
If we're to learn anything from anime, Prince of Tennis teaches us to serve at a powerlevel over 9000.

Gawd, I watched one episode of that anime, and was laughing so much I was in tears.

Seriously. Service? Over 9000? It can be done.
Oh god. That's disgusting!!! And impossible!

I hate the terms they use, too. I mean, maybe they call it something different in Japan, or the translators are messing it up..
But instead of "kick" or "topspin" they'll say "snake spin!", "super bounce!"
IT'S CRAZY.

I couldn't get past chapter five in the manga.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

02-01-2009, 02:55 AM

I started to like tennis all becasue of the aweosme anime Prince of tennis
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

02-01-2009, 03:53 AM

Hey, hey now! Lets not bash those funny jr. high students and their gayness... I love PoT!!! :P I'm so sad it ended... America and it's laggy-ness on releasing the manga.

Anyway, as MMM said, tennis is very popular.

I love tennis. It's one of the largest things in my life. In fact, I'm wearing my school tennis sweats as I type and I was playing real hardcore today. Best I've played for a while...

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

02-01-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoTEA View Post
Oh god. That's disgusting!!! And impossible!

I hate the terms they use, too. I mean, maybe they call it something different in Japan, or the translators are messing it up..
But instead of "kick" or "topspin" they'll say "snake spin!", "super bounce!"
IT'S CRAZY.

I couldn't get past chapter five in the manga.
The kick and twist serve are the same thing, but the twist is not as often said.

There's no super bounce.

It's not the snake spin, it's simply called the snake (later called the Boomerang Snake, but that's another story). It is explained in the book it's actually called the buggy whip shot and they note that the name is changed because of Kaidoh with his Viper-ness.

Inui most often explains the actual tennis shot, but the story over exaggerates for entertainment means.

A lot of shots are nearly impossible... But you can't resist to smile at Fuji or Atobe or Lucky Sen Goku...♥

THE WEBSITE OF FUNNY-AWESOMNESS. LAUGH AT ALL OF YOUR PoT NEEDS:
:: Crack PoT::

(I've read up to book 29 so far... I don't feel like reading online since it's just not fun reading online.)

Though I may sound defensive about PoT, it's really fun to make fun of and to read. I've spent many hours of laughing at the shitty English dubs and sparkles of witchcraft that is diffused from their rackets.

My best friend and I each have jackets and hats. She has Seigaku and I have Hyotei. Our favorite characters play on each team and we do funny stuff when we verse each other in tennis and put on the outfits. QUITE entertaining.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Anveena (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2009, 07:09 PM

Even though the "moves" in TeniPuri were a little exaggerated i still loved that series ;D And the series hasn´t really ended...
What i have heard is that the real story hasn´t even begun...that everything until now was a prologue ... 379 chapters... O.o Well... the new series will start in March!!!

And I also rly like tennis... it´s my favorite sport... even though i haven´t played it much ... it´s so fun !!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

02-01-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anveena View Post
Even though the "moves" in TeniPuri were a little exaggerated i still loved that series ;D And the series hasn´t really ended...
What i have heard is that the real story hasn´t even begun...that everything until now was a prologue ... 379 chapters... O.o Well... the new series will start in March!!!

And I also rly like tennis... it´s my favorite sport... even though i haven´t played it much ... it´s so fun !!
The movies are okay... Now the live-action musicals are even better. Dream Live 3 is the best one, in my opinion. I get to love Hiroki Aiba AND Yuu Shirota and their cute-ness in some of the musicals...

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-08-2009, 08:01 AM

My students are very familiar with Prince of Tennis and Ace wo Nerae. Tennis is one of two sports I actively participate in, and I often play with my students during club activities.

Remember though, courts are often clay/dirt/grass. I have yet to find a concrete court like I played on when I was in JH/HS.