JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
02-15-2007, 03:39 PM

obtw, whn i was 14, i studied kickboxing in Thailand for 3 months.. the way i see it, it's mostly stinky arms and sweaty bodies going against each other :P punches/kicks pack a whole lotta power tho..
i seem to hv lost touch with my kickboxing classmates but i believe i still hv my warrior instincts to guide me whnever i decide to enter the world of martial arts again XD

P.S. im still practising on my punchingbag :P

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 02-15-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: oops.. memory mixed up.. a month's for studying thai -.-
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

02-15-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikku777 View Post
Yeah Kanji, can you explain it a little more? Did you have cotta's and stuff, what was the main focus of it?
Interested in Shotokan huh? It was great, Shotokan translates to " Pine Waves House." Shoto= pine waves, kan= house.

Shotokan training is usually divided into three sections: kihon or "basics", kumite or "sparring", and kata (forms or patterns of moves).

Shotokan techniques in kihon and kata are characterised by deep, long stances which provide stability, powerful movements and also helps strengthen the legs.

Strength and power are often demonstrated instead of slower, more flowing motions. The kumite techniques mirror these stances and movements at a basic level, but progress to being more "free" and flexible at a higher level.

Funakoshi (creator) is said to have found the traditional martial arts (such as sumo, jujutsu and kenjutsu) to be too focused on combat, and he put more emphasis on health, breathing, releasing energy and outstanding mind and body control. Shotokan can be regarded as a hard and 'external' martial art.

Last edited by Kanji_The_Wanderer : 02-15-2007 at 03:52 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

02-15-2007, 03:51 PM

naruhodo..
so what abt the techniques ruy/ken uses in the street fighter anime then? are they fictional or real?

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Rikku777 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Rikku777
02-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Wow! Thanks, L! So it sounds like it is more focused on forms and such? How long did you do taekwondo for????
And Coolnard, there are some really awesome air kicks that are difficult to learn!!! The trouble is getting your body high enough in the air to execute the kick properly.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

02-15-2007, 04:01 PM

yeah, that i know, but hv u seen ryu's spinning kick? he can spinkick 10 times rapidly in midair withiout stopping and the hadoken manipulates the air molecules to attack the opponent physically O_O

(#16 (permalink))
Old
風林火山

02-15-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
naruhodo..
so what abt the techniques ruy/ken uses in the street fighter anime then? are they fictional or real?
Sorry Nard-kun but Shoryuken or "Rising Dragon Fist" is totally fiction.

I wish it was real, I'd have kicked even more ass when I practiced it. lol
(#17 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

02-15-2007, 04:03 PM

Awwww!!!! haha.. it was gd while it lasted XD

(#18 (permalink))
Old
風林火山

02-15-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikku777 View Post
Wow! Thanks, L! So it sounds like it is more focused on forms and such? How long did you do taekwondo for????
Shotokan has a lot to do with meditation and the mind, so it does involve forms, but when it is time to fight the opponent better watch out because Shotokan is pretty much all about power, and the fastest way to knock out someone without killing them.

I'd say I was in Tae Kwon Do for a little less then a year, I don't remember much. But personal matters occured, and I had to lay it to rest...

Last edited by Kanji_The_Wanderer : 02-15-2007 at 04:07 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Rikku777 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Rikku777
02-15-2007, 04:09 PM

So I'll bet you are pretty good at it then! I don't want to run into you in a dark alley...lol
(#20 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)

02-15-2007, 04:11 PM

i nv knew so many ppl in this forum had martial arts backgrnd O_O

kanji-kun! i look forward to a spar lol!

i think i've promised that to 5ppl alrdy...