JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#431 (permalink))
Old
bleep (Offline)
New to JF

09-06-2010, 07:22 AM

hi

i pratised taekwondo since i was 9 but stopped at age 14 due to a technical injury in a competition and also due to the fact that my dad was actively practising yokushinkai karate and traditional aikido during his time. he doesn't like taekwondo and seeing me training hard for the national team is nonsense. so he searched for a budo school and found an aikido dojo near home and ever since my dad left the country, i was under my sensei's guidance for 10 years and counting my sensei is my father figure and i am blessed that i was honed by a good teacher because my dad and i see each other less

a few months back, an office-mate tagged me into studying wing chun. so far i'm enjoying it but not to the point of giving up aikido.

Last edited by bleep : 09-06-2010 at 07:25 AM.
(#432 (permalink))
Old
student95 (Offline)
JF Regular

09-06-2010, 07:37 AM

Cool! I've been doing tkd since I was 12. (Actually on and off). I've tried Aikido in the city, but there doesn't seem to be any dojos near my suburb so I chose a closer Hapkido dojang. I think HKD and AKD are rather similar anyway. That comment was subjective by the way and I know 2 martial arts are never exactly the same.

Don't let pride get in the way of learning...there's always more to learn.
(#433 (permalink))
Old
bleep (Offline)
New to JF

09-06-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student95 View Post
Cool! I've been doing tkd since I was 12. (Actually on and off). I've tried Aikido in the city, but there doesn't seem to be any dojos near my suburb so I chose a closer Hapkido dojang. I think HKD and AKD are rather similar anyway. That comment was subjective by the way and I know 2 martial arts are never exactly the same.
i just wiki'd hapkido. yeah the principles quite similar in a sense that almost all movements are circular
(#434 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I tossed my traditional style training (Shotokan and TKD) out the window when I continued to get murdered by MMA fighters during friendly sparring. ***It's not as if I was undertrained or had poor training; I won multiple championships on several WKF TKD circuits.***

After that, I busted open a new pair of Fairtex gloves and never looked back. I kind of ended up just melding into Muay Thai/Boxing, but I specifically chose to begin studying Submission Wrestling as a counter to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It allows me enough room to study/apply BJJ techniques myself, but I can bring the fight back up to my feet more easily, where I'm more comfortable.
I was in TKD myself before, but with ITF. I think with WTF, you guys are more sport oriented (point system). I love the kicks in TKD, not the fancy ones, which is usually useless, but the simple kicks, turning kick (Roundhouse), front kick and hook (and spinning as well), and occassionally, the back kick, but everything else i hardly use.

I am now doing Goju karate, but will be changing to Shito ryu in January, and I agree, what we were trained on are not too competitive once on the ground, thats why I love K-1 more than anything else....

Luckily, I also have some on and off training with a friend in BJJ, which gave me some exposures.. right now i am trying to figure a way to strike at them when i was locked on the ground..
(#435 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-13-2010, 05:39 PM

MuayThai. 8 years.

I believe thai boxing with enough BJJ to defend against grappling is the Ideal fighting method.

(#436 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

11-04-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
I believe thai boxing with enough BJJ to defend against grappling is the Ideal fighting method.
Just knee the shooters in the head and throw the spastic Judo wrestlers. Muay Thai is enough.

I opened up my gym recently in rural Thailand:

Although it's not finished, and I need to further develop the facilities, I've started taking some kids to build up long term. I only accept full time and long term students below the age of 10, and they have to be willing to commit to Boxing professionally in the future (more so, their parents have to commit, and understand sending them off to uni in a distant city when they reach 18 is going to be a waste of a dozen years of me training them - they'll leave just when they hit their professional prime and I stand no gain given I train them for free and my income is based on taking a 50% cut from the purse of fighters).

The gym is centered around Muay Thai and Western Boxing, and that's what I mostly teach. I'm also going to teach my own version of Ninjutsu to some of my students (namely, my own children and adopted children).

I started martial arts when I was 14, joined the Infantry when I was 18 but got the boot because I was in trouble with the police after completeing 9 months of full time Infantry training. So I went to Thailand to learn Muay Thai when I was nearly 20, been here since. I'm 24 next month. Married a Thai and knocked her up and made a daughter. Been training and fighting, now I've got the skills to start teaching kids myself.

Muay Thai is great, I really like it. Great conditioning for the body and excellent lifestyle. Have become a powerful fighter now, a long way since when I was a kid doing Wing Chun and Ninjutsu.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#437 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-04-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Just knee the shooters in the head and throw the spastic Judo wrestlers. Muay Thai is enough.
It's pretty hard to do and you can't rely on this strategy unless you know exactly from where and when the BJJ fighter is going to shoot and anticipate him.

The reason being is that you wont have time to execute the knee once he's gone for the shoot as a good BJJ fighter will pick his angle and close the distance fast.

Even if you do connect the change in distancing will likely make it inneffectual.

I actually just started BJJ. It's pretty eye opening as I used to think like you and am used to striking arts.

As for the Judo fighters... um.. their specialty is throwing on their feet. Good luck trying to throw one with ease.
(#438 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

11-04-2010, 09:36 PM

I didn't know you were familiar with Western Boxing, Tenchu? I've been considering getting a taste of that, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire
It's pretty hard to do and you can't rely on this strategy unless you know exactly from where and when the BJJ fighter is going to shoot and anticipate him.

The reason being is that you wont have time to execute the knee once he's gone for the shoot as a good BJJ fighter will pick his angle and close the distance fast.

Even if you do connect the change in distancing will likely make it inneffectual.

I actually just started BJJ. It's pretty eye opening as I used to think like you and am used to striking arts.

As for the Judo fighters... um.. their specialty is throwing on their feet. Good luck trying to throw one with ease.
I don't know. Although it would be arrogant to imply shooters can easily be defended with a knee, and I'd agree that it wouldn't necessarily be easy to execute, I doubt the likelihood of receiving an accurate knee, even at low force, as being ineffectual. As far as being ineffectual goes, shooting requires a considerable amount of commitment, meaning, to me, the degree of effectiveness can vary significantly -- in favor of a high potential for damage, reiterating that the knee hits its mark. Eating a knee isn't exactly a cup of tea.

Though, you do have a point about Judo's standing throws.

In any case, it's all about the artists not the art, right, Ronin?
(#439 (permalink))
Old
tisgrey (Offline)
New to JF

11-05-2010, 04:05 PM

hi, i do shotokan karate and ninjutsu

i have been doing karate for over a decade now and would really like to train in japan... mind you doing ninjutsu in japan would also be pretty awesome... anybody got any ideas of clubs i could contact around tokyo?
(#440 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

11-06-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post

As soon as the head goes down, the knee goes up. Once you train for it, it just becomes reflex. I don't think it's hard.

As for Judo - it's a joke. I guess you won't see it unless you've done Muay Thai. They'll just get kneed in the gut a thousand times the way they fight.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…