JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jurianbai (Offline)
Aselian

international CHESS "culture" in Japan - 04-01-2009, 02:18 AM

i like Chess , and I believe the chess culture is not popular in japan. compare to other asian country like China (which also have their version Xiangqi), India, and many South East asia country.

i think it is mainly because Japan had their version, Shogi and Go. for international achievement japan also had very few title chess player, (FM, IM , GM) but american's young grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura is japanese descendent, so does the French Grandmaster Joel Lautier is half japanese.

so i am asking question is international chess (not Shogi or Go) popular for japanese youngster? how high percentage that the kid overthere understand the game?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-01-2009, 02:31 AM

I have never met anyone in Japan who played chess. I did, however, know a lot of shogi, go, and especially mah-jong players.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

04-01-2009, 02:31 AM

From what I have read about chess and is popularity in Japan is not as much as Shogi or Go. I guess they love Shogi and Go more.
I have no idea why.

This article well talks about it.

GM Square >>> Chess in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jurianbai (Offline)
Aselian

04-01-2009, 03:10 AM

yeah, and i think i never see chess in japan anime,manga as well.

usually in west or other chess popular country, the game passed inside family circle (parents to kid, or brothers) or in school.

btw, i just learn shogi, i think the "drop" concept is the hardest tactic to learn and anticipate.

i also read the GM Square article a few years ago, akira is also shogi player if i am not wrong.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-01-2009, 04:25 AM

I agree that it`s not in the forefront. It seems to carry an image of being more complex and requiring more effort and thought than shogi, go, or mahjong. It doesn`t, in my opinion - Shogi, go, and chess are all pretty equal though I hear that mahjong is supposedly a bit easier due to the luck aspect.

Mahjong is probably the most popular out of those games. I think I`m the only person I know who can`t play mahjong.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
takodori (Offline)
New to JF

04-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurianbai View Post
yeah, and i think i never see chess in japan anime,manga as well.
Some episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist, Salor Moon and Code Geass have chess scenes. And I heard that J-Drama "Aibou" is rich in chess scenes.