(#91 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-27-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
Define "untrained"
Someone disconnected from the previous thousands of years of martial lineage.

Also, body building can help. But only if it's exstensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Because an untrained person with STREET experience has learnt these same lessons the hard way you idiot.
No they don't. You just say they do, but you've no proof.

I know from experience, I'd been doing things just wrong, and they wern't working. I could not figure out how to improve them, then my teacher corrected me and I was greatful.

Stop making stuff up.

Quote:
Hahaha! bullsh*t... you take me seriously enough untill I own you. It's why you've derailed our previous conversation concerning the link between dance and martial arts and resorted to lame comebacks. I was the last one to make a relevant post concerning the matter.
No. You started talking about Sparta again. I didn't bring all this up.

It's more than just me and Noodle who're getting pissed with your negative attitude.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#92 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-27-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
No they don't. You just say they do, but you've no proof.

I know from experience, I'd been doing things just wrong, and they wern't working. I could not figure out how to improve them, then my teacher corrected me and I was greatful.

Stop making stuff up.
FFS! This whole discussion concerning experience vs training is theoretical! I'm not making things up, I'm providing the base rationale behind my position. Your experiences are not only simply anecdotal... but they're invalid as you seem to have some street experience, and the fact that you do not represent the typical martial artist. This is about NO experience versus NO training.

You're such a dunce!

Quote:
No. You started talking about Sparta again. I didn't bring all this up.

It's more than just me and Noodle who're getting pissed with your negative attitude.
I didn't talk about Sparta... I accused you of seeing yourself as a "modern day Spartan".

You're so stupid you don't even know what a metaphor is.
(#93 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-27-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
FFS! This whole discussion concerning experience vs training is theoretical! I'm not making things up, I'm providing the base rationale behind my position. Your experiences are not only simply anecdotal... but they're invalid as you seem to have some street experience, and the fact that you do not represent the typical martial artist. This is about NO experience versus NO training.

You're such a dunce!
I don't even know what a "dunce" is, but I'll take it as some form of medieval Warrior. So thanx.

Well if you want to fully realign the conversation to no experience + training Vs. no training + experience, then I'll roll along with that.

I've already said, I think it's the attitude that'll determine whether you can use your skills outside the ring.

Anyway, I've a recent story for you:

My mother, one fine morning, was tending to the flowers in her front garden (she lives in those little unit places with people just accross a foot path from her). All of a sudden my brothers dog (a young pup) raced out the front door. At the same time, the man over the street opened his door, and the pup ran inside his house.

The man followed the dog back in his house, and shut the door behind him. My mother was like "WTF?" Then she was shocked as she heard the pup yelping from behind the door. But she had no time to do anything as only after a few seconds the door was reopened, and the pup was staggering out as fast it could dragging its broken back legs behind it. The man quickly came out of the house holding a heavy pine cricket wicket (old style, not the new light ones) in his hand.

My mother had almost no time to react. Being a 55 year old lady who's never seen violence in her life, it was all happening too fast for her. The man was on her in seconds, belting her with the heavy wicket.

My brother, who, because of his drug habbit (a little too much weed for him), often lives with my mother, was on the toilet doing his morning business. He heard his mother screaming, and was like "WTF?" as he pulled his pants up and raced out the front.

My brother has no formal training ever in martial arts. But he's been in plenty of fights (including a knife fight, where he successfully disarmed a much larger and threatening opponent) and been beaten up many times. He also has emotional issues because of his drug habit, and this causes quick outbursts of high intensity anger.

Anyway, he ran outside and pulled the man off my mother and wrestled with him. My brother just threw him around a bit shouting at him and trying to choke his kneck. Not long after, the other neighbours came out and they threw the crazy man back into his house and called the police.

My brother told me after (via email; they're lucky I wasn't there or I would now be a murderer if I caught someone beating up my mother) that he was angry at himself because he did not punch the man at all. He said he just didn't know what to do and it all happened so fast. He thought if he had have had training he would have known a lot more and fought better and more decisivly.

So regardless my brother was an experienced thug, kinda, and emotionally unstable, he still just didn't know how to deal with it and thought he needed training.

I'm more likely to believe a story like this than a story about an untrained kid taking out pro MA fighters...

Oh, it turns out the crazy man had forgotten his medication. Mom is trying to see whether that excuse holds up in court.

Quote:
I didn't talk about Sparta... I accused you of seeing yourself as a "modern day Spartan".

You're so stupid you don't even know what a metaphor is.
You're right. I took it too literal.

In the case of metaphors, you're a modern day Persian; so full of self indulgence you're blind to the simple truth that you've nothing against real skill.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…

Last edited by Tenchu : 08-27-2009 at 07:48 AM.
(#94 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Someone disconnected from the previous thousands of years of martial lineage.

Yeah, ok, "If it's a fist fight, an untrained person doesn't stand a chance" is overstating it.
(#95 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-27-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, ok, "If it's a fist fight, an untrained person doesn't stand a chance" is overstating it.
Can you rephrase this? I don't understand what you mean.

(#96 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Can you rephrase this? I don't understand what you mean.

It means I disagree with the statement, "If it's a fist fight, an untrained person doesn't stand a chance."
(#97 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-27-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
It means I disagree with the statement, "If it's a fist fight, an untrained person doesn't stand a chance."
Care to explain why you disagree?

(#98 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Can you give some examples. I mean, I'm moderatly skilled, but I have size and strength on my side. I've just never encountered a female who I think could.
My sister. She is skilled, bigger(not fat) and stronger than an average woman. She very tough (ex professional stuntwoman) and mean if pissed off.
If you were a true martial artist who believed that skill and training made the difference, why would size matter? One of the best fighters I knew in America was a 5 foot four inch 145 pound Sheriff's Deputy who I saw regularly take down drunken 250 pound plus Bikers. He was a little Pit Bull.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#99 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Because an untrained person with STREET experience has learnt these same lessons the hard way you idiot.
Actually, they haven't.

Someone with street experience are, in most cases, used to fighting others with the same style. Usually grappling and/or bare knuckle with a viscous twist. I doubt they see a lot of martial arts, unless they went out of their way to look for fights with strangers.

It varies from person to person, but in most cases I would put my money on those with formal training.

A small note to your story Tenchu: I don't know how it is with your art, but I believe the law for most high-level practitioners in Canada is: Whatever occurs within the first 5 seconds of the encounter can be chalked up to reaction, but after that you can be charged with assault even if you were not the aggressor because you should know methods to disable him without causing bodily harm.
(#100 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Actually, they haven't.

Someone with street experience are, in most cases, used to fighting others with the same style. Usually grappling and/or bare knuckle with a viscous twist. I doubt they see a lot of martial arts, unless they went out of their way to look for fights with strangers.
I disagree. Most street fighters have learned some martial arts moves from classes or someone else on the street and they use them to some extent in fighting. They have the experience to know what works and what is just show. If you watch a cagefight or other MMA event you might see some martial arts moves that you can point out as a certain style, but it always ends up as a grappling and punching match on the floor.
The kid I saw in Brazil used some Capoeira and Brazilian Jujitsu moves, but you could tell he wasn't a practitioner of these arts and picked these up by watching or a friend teaching him. It still ended up as a grappling and punching match on the floor in the end.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!