JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
redline (Offline)
JF Regular

Kendo? - 12-22-2009, 10:06 AM

I was thinking of starting. I know its completely different than non-armed MA sports, but how easy do you think it will be for me to jump into considering I have a muay thai background?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Kendo is nothing like Muay Thai, but it's not difficult to "jump into", especially if you are taking classes in Japan.

Where I studied Kendo, they wouldn't accept anyone with less than a brown belt in karate, so it was pretty much off-limits to new students. Most schools are not like this, and more than likely they are more than willing to accept students with no experience in the Japanese martial arts.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
12-22-2009, 03:22 PM

I originally came from Fencing backround and had no experience in Japanese martial arts. But i took to Kendo quite fast and enjoyed it a lot more than fencing but i had already had the basics of footwork down. Like anything training is the key mentally and physically. I would say try it out and see if you like it you will never know unless you give it a shot.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

12-28-2009, 01:24 PM

@Sinestra

I too have done Fencing (mwha parrp, parry, parry , Reposte!)
feeling the epee (thats target foil ,plus head and arms right? - its been a while)

i always wondered who would win between kendo and fencing.
i feel if it was in a narrow corridor fencing would p0wn

but in an open field Kendo probably has the edge.

however, Kendo has the power,
Fencing the speed.

as you have done both,
I'd be interested to hear your views on this.

Last edited by WhoIsDaffy : 12-28-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: video google "kendo vs fencing" shows JPN film, fencing win!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Kendo Vs. Fencing - now that's a fair mixed martial art fight. I'd love to see the masters going at that.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
12-28-2009, 05:48 PM

That's a tough call I wouldn't consider kendo superior to kendo both have their strenghts on different levels. I have seen several exhibition matches between the two and I can tell you a quick lunge from an experience fencer is deadly. How kendo strikes and counters in close range seem to devestate a fencers ability to attack. I think what it really comes down to is speed percision and footwork. The matches I watched didn't last very long they were over quickly and in one strike. I also noticed how patient they were played a factor. Speed vs power is always an interesting to watch. I tend to be on the fast side in kendo with a long reach iv changed styles but not my overall fighting style I'm very patient and I take advantage of any opening and use a lot feints.

I do agree with you in a narrow space fencing would have the advantage in an open space kendo would have the advantage. It's easy to see why because of the use of each respective weapon. Using a two handed weapon in a narrow space hampers any attack broad and wide strikes won't work but a style that utilizes quick forward lunges and quick foot work for advancing and retreating is perfect. A kendo user in wide open space can utilizes a wide range of moments and free flow easily with mid section and over head attacks.

I'm no expert and of course the out come would depend on a persons skill. Watching two masters go at it would be interesting.

Here are a couple of vids
YouTube - Kendo vs Fencing

YouTube - Kendo vs Fencing

heres an interesting one Kendo vs Escrima
YouTube - Kendo vs Escrima

Last edited by Sinestra : 12-28-2009 at 06:06 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
fatalbert130 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-01-2010, 05:16 PM

In Japan, I learn it as one of the classes of the schools.

kendo is the succession of the Bushido.
It is over in opening etiquette in etiquette entirely.

However, I think that kendo got rid of original dignity after Kendo was recognized as international sport.

Korean Kumudo dojo pretends to be Japanese Kendo in U.S.A., and please be careful now because I gather students.
Kumudo copied Japanese Kendo in Korea in 1980, and it was made.

Last edited by fatalbert130 : 01-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
vegna (Offline)
New to JF

01-01-2010, 08:45 PM

You could also look for iaido/iaijutsu, which is the style that the samurai used.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
redline (Offline)
JF Regular

01-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Now that I started thinking about it more, there are so many armed MA to pick from I'm not sure I know what to do anymore. Kendo has always interested me, but so has krabi krabong especially with the use of the mae sun sawk (basically tonfas). Kobudo also has caught my eye, but the pickings are scarce on dojos here.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegna View Post
You could also look for iaido/iaijutsu, which is the style that the samurai used.
Iaido/Iajutsu are merely methods of drawing the sword, which were first officially refined by Katayama Hisayasu in the early 17th century. They were called the "lightning" methods of drawing the sword, and were intended to allow a warrior to draw his sword quickly in self defence. Iaido now is a one-person display of rapidly drawing one's sword, viciously cutting the air a few times, and quickly returning the sword to it's sheath.

In actual matches, swords were already drawn before the combatants fought, so being able to draw the sword quickly was irrelevant.

Nowadays, in Kendo you'll never even get to touch a sheathed sword, let alone use one in a match, unless you have achieved a fairly high rank. The only display I've seen of live swords being used in a match was between a pair of 8th dan instructors, and even then it was a show more than anything else.

This thread reminds me that there is a shop in Akasaka which sells Japanese swords, I'll have to go there tomorrow and take a look. Tomorrow is also the Edo-period antique flea market at the International Forum, they usually have a good collection of old swords and kendo gear for sale there.