JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mauja (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Go - 07-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Is there anybody playing go?

It´s an asian game, often compared with european chess. It probably originated in China (where it´s called weichi) maybe about 3000 years ago (?) (it´s the oldest game in the world) and most popular it is in china, japan and korea (there it´s called baduk).

I think this game might look boring but when you play it few times, you find it really good. I started about 9 months ago and I still love it, in my opinion it´s much better then our chess. I´m maybe little addicted O.o

I´d like to know if you play it, if you have any experiences with it, how famous is this thing in your country (for example there are about 10 people who know what it is in my town O.o) etc...

BTW check out anime Hikaru no Go- it´s great

(#2 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2009, 04:38 AM

Yay for Go!

I started playing a few months ago, and definitely love it. It seems easier than games such as Chess and perhaps Shougi, but it's incredibly complex.

Go isn't very popular where I live, but a friend of mine incidentally introduced it to me when he commented that Go is more difficult than Chess and pros haven't been beaten by the computers yet. Curiosity took a hold of me, and now I am obsessed.

Hikaru no Go was a great anime, and if anyone isn't interested in Go just from your explanation, a viewing of this might be in order
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-12-2009, 05:07 AM

i heard of that game. Accourding to an article many public libraries offer it. I havent check mine.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Mauja (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
Yay for Go!

I started playing a few months ago, and definitely love it. It seems easier than games such as Chess and perhaps Shougi, but it's incredibly complex.

Go isn't very popular where I live, but a friend of mine incidentally introduced it to me when he commented that Go is more difficult than Chess and pros haven't been beaten by the computers yet. Curiosity took a hold of me, and now I am obsessed.

Hikaru no Go was a great anime, and if anyone isn't interested in Go just from your explanation, a viewing of this might be in order
Ah, thanks for reply ^^

I think there are people for whose go really is more difficult than chess. Me, I don´t undersand chess.. I know rules and everything but I can´t see deep into the game, I just move figures without sense. On the other side go really got me, it took some time until I understood what am I supposed to do but now I can get excited by game simply
I think not only pros haven´t been beaten by computers.. I still wouldn´t beat the strongest go pc program but truth is that comps are really weak.

And about HikaGo, you´re right. Most poeple from here whose play go started because of Hikaru no Go.. it looks like boring anime, 70 episodes about a game.. but it´s amazing
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

07-12-2009, 10:43 AM

Five years ago they had a programme on NHK BiLingual that played the game with a foreigner. Not sure of programme times or if it is still on.

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Mauja (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
Five years ago they had a programme on NHK BiLingual that played the game with a foreigner. Not sure of programme times or if it is still on.
What is NHK BiLingual?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauja View Post
What is NHK BiLingual?
NHK (Nippon Housou Kyoukai) is Japan's national TV station with several channels (including bilingual service); very famous for broadcasting go tournaments.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Mauja (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
NHK (Nippon Housou Kyoukai) is Japan's national TV station with several channels (including bilingual service); very famous for broadcasting go tournaments.
Ah so, thanks.. I think I´ll check it out.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ClearedFuture (Offline)
New to JF

07-12-2009, 09:06 PM

i love me some go, but i'm horrible at it...
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kozyra (Offline)
Son of the Desert

Send a message via MSN to Kozyra Send a message via Skype™ to Kozyra
07-12-2009, 10:19 PM

I am from Syria....I do not know this game..
but it seems very good game..
can you learn me a little a bout it?
and thanks..