JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Size - 09-04-2009, 08:41 AM

So, a few months ago during practice we were going takedowns and doing a drill where one guy stays in and every 1 minute a fresh guy comes in (everyone seems to have a different name for this, but in any case it's exhausting). I get to the 7th or 8th guy and next up is this heavyweight who has a good 100lbs on me. Long story short I launched this guy high and hard across the mat - feet to the lights. It was a beautiful thing and we all had a good laugh over it. This guy was not some scrub in off the street, but a wrestler with at least 10 years experience, but so much of grappling is about leverage, timing, 'taking' your opponent's center of gravity and the like. With lesser trained opponents it's almost ridiculous how easy it can be to put a bigger guy on his face and keep him there (though no fun to get hit by one).

I was wondering if any of the strikers out there had similar experiences in their areas of expertise.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-04-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
So, a few months ago during practice we were going takedowns and doing a drill where one guy stays in and every 1 minute a fresh guy comes in (everyone seems to have a different name for this, but in any case it's exhausting). I get to the 7th or 8th guy and next up is this heavyweight who has a good 100lbs on me. Long story short I launched this guy high and hard across the mat - feet to the lights. It was a beautiful thing and we all had a good laugh over it. This guy was not some scrub in off the street, but a wrestler with at least 10 years experience, but so much of grappling is about leverage, timing, 'taking' your opponent's center of gravity and the like. With lesser trained opponents it's almost ridiculous how easy it can be to put a bigger guy on his face and keep him there (though no fun to get hit by one).

I was wondering if any of the strikers out there had similar experiences in their areas of expertise.
As for striking? There are countless areas on the body that, regardless of strength or size of the person, cannot be trained (throat, eyes, knees, etc.), and thus make excellent targets, enabling even the smallest practitioner to take down even the most hulking of giants.

Although I'm amazed you can train at all these days, tksensei; your back must be killing you from all the patting youv'e been doing.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-04-2009, 11:54 AM

TK, you're a troll. Get a life.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
As for striking? There are countless areas on the body that, regardless of strength or size of the person, cannot be trained (throat, eyes, knees, etc.), and thus make excellent targets, enabling even the smallest practitioner to take down even the most hulking of giants.
While that's a fine theory, I'd like to hear about actual experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Although I'm amazed you can train at all these days, tksensei; your back must be killing you from all the patting youv'e been doing.
Nothing terribly unusual about it; skill and experience are relative. Certainly nothing that lots and lots of folks better and younger than myself don't also do all the time. Sorry if you got the wrong idea.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
TK, you're a troll. Get a life.

Want to share some of your experiences?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-04-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei
Nothing terribly unusual about it; skill and experience are relative. Certainly nothing that lots and lots of folks better and younger than myself don't also do all the time. Sorry if you got the wrong idea.
lol he didn't get it. Did anyone else get it? I thought I was being terribly clever.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

09-04-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
Want to share some of your experiences?
Only with someone who wants to learn.

It's pretty straight forward, anyway. Size in an advantage because of power, strength, reach and the ability to take harder hits.

A smaller person can overcome a larger person, but only if he's a better fighter than him.

You often hear things like "Buawkaw is the best pound for pound fighter in the world" - this means Buawkaw is the most talented, but larger fighters would still be able to beat him regardless because talent is not everything.

For each extra kilo your opponent is bigger than you, that's an extra bit of skill you're going to need on top of his to beat him, and that's all.

I seriously doubt anything outside of what I say here will hold any water. A lot of people like to say size is irrelevant... yeah right...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Size in an advantage ...

Obviously, but that wasn't my question.