Nihon Kempo - 09-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Anyone ever train in this? Lots of fun!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
rafif (Offline)
Moon light

09-05-2009, 10:00 AM

Hi,

I don't know it but can you give us more details about that sport that would be nice.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Nihon Kenpo@Everything2.com

Nippon Kempo
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Banzai (Offline)
日本バンザイ~!

Send a message via MSN to Banzai
09-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Looks like fun. All I ever did was Karate.

>>>SOSDefinition<<<

私は日本語より多く学ぶことが開始されます。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Allene7 (Offline)
The Nymphic Ninja

09-10-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
Anyone ever train in this? Lots of fun!
My husband is a black belt in Kenpo Karate. He started when he was around 5 or 6 (I think, I don't remember exactly what age but he was really young and he's not home at the moment so I can't ask.) and had been doing it up until a few years ago when we moved away from the town that the dojo was in where he practiced and taught. We live in the U.S. so I don't know if you were asking for people who practiced who are actually in Japan or not but I thought I'd respond any ways just in case it didn't matter

I'm very proud of him for doing Kenpo. He was really good and was told he always looked like a black blur because his gi was black and he was really fast. He really wants to start back up when we have the money for it because he really enjoyed it.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allene7 View Post
My husband is a black belt in Kenpo Karate. He started when he was around 5 or 6 (I think, I don't remember exactly what age but he was really young and he's not home at the moment so I can't ask.) and had been doing it up until a few years ago when we moved away from the town that the dojo was in where he practiced and taught. We live in the U.S. so I don't know if you were asking for people who practiced who are actually in Japan or not but I thought I'd respond any ways just in case it didn't matter

I'm very proud of him for doing Kenpo. He was really good and was told he always looked like a black blur because his gi was black and he was really fast. He really wants to start back up when we have the money for it because he really enjoyed it.

That's great, but I was talking about a different kind of kempo than the one your husband practices (I guess). I'm sure your man has some serious skills. Have you ever thought of joining him?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:

A better response than the previous one would be, that's fantastic! It takes true dedication to stick with it for as long as your husband has, and for him to still be passionate about continuing to pursue the art and improve is beyond admirable. Also, just by your comment about how proud you are of him, I can tell you've been supporting him the whole time, which speaks volumes of your dedication as well. Have you ever gotten into it yourself? I'm sure it's hard not to when you're married to a practitioner. Remember: the family that kicks together sticks together!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Allene7 (Offline)
The Nymphic Ninja

09-11-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
That's great, but I was talking about a different kind of kempo than the one your husband practices (I guess). I'm sure your man has some serious skills. Have you ever thought of joining him?
Oh, I see. I have considered learning but I kind of go back and forth. I do love watching martial arts though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
A better response than the previous one would be, that's fantastic! It takes true dedication to stick with it for as long as your husband has, and for him to still be passionate about continuing to pursue the art and improve is beyond admirable. Also, just by your comment about how proud you are of him, I can tell you've been supporting him the whole time, which speaks volumes of your dedication as well. Have you ever gotten into it yourself? I'm sure it's hard not to when you're married to a practitioner. Remember: the family that kicks together sticks together!
Thanks! Yeah, he told me that when he was first starting out he really wanted to quit because it was very difficult, but his mom made him stick with it a little longer. Then he ended up loving it and was so happy he didn't give up so early on. I can't wait for him to be able to go back to it. He has actually been talking about maybe trying out a different style of martial arts but he really enjoys kenpo so he's not sure if he will or not. He's only a 1st degree black belt so he'd like to advance higher. I believe there are 10 degrees but only the masters are that high and that's only like a small group of people.

When I was little I started taking karate but the instructor ended up moving away and I never went back to it. The only reason I didn't go back to it was because he was a family friend and giving free lessons and we were really poor so I couldn't go back to it. We have a 15 month old daughter who my husband is going to start teaching when she gets a little older so maybe when he starts teaching her I'll join them. I'm not sure yet though. He's been wanting to teach me for a long time. I do know a few defense things but not much. Lol, I'll remember your comment about how, "the family that kicks together sticks together!" That's a good one!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post

Why would that be a "better" response?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
We have a 15 month old daughter who my husband is going to start teaching when she gets a little older so maybe when he starts teaching her I'll join them. I'm not sure yet though. He's been wanting to teach me for a long time.

I bet you'd enjoy it!