LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Kaoru3 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 11-05-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitski View Post
awesome coolnard..thanks for helping me to understand kendo.so if a person masters both kenjutsu and a kendo then he/she becomes the ultimate sword master--that's cool..
video was cool..thanks again for showing us this
Sorry, but he seriously gave you wrong information. This is what hapens when untrained people attempt to talk about stuff they don't even know about or understand.

What you said is most incorrect. Nobody ever becomes a "master" of either art. Only a fool thinks they can. Kenjutsu and kendo are not alike in the least. Not only that, both take a lifetime to learn and even the highest ranked person has things they have to fix and correct. Nobody will master a swordart because of this. Learning is a never ending circle. Most people dedicate themselves to one art because becoming proficient in more than one is very difficult. It takes time and effort to learn a Japanese sword art(JSA). Most quit after the first 3-6 months because they are so hard and tedious to learn. What you see in Anime is not what a real JSA looks like in the least. Real Koryu(old school-anything created before 1868.) JSA is very repetitive and slow and boring, to be honest.
They only do kata and at the highest levels after years of training, they will do paired kata using fukuru(leather covered) shinai. It's not sparring at all, though it looks like it is. They also never wear bogu. If a kenjutsu dojo wears bogu, it's not a legit dojo.

Kendo on the other hand, does do sparring and they do wear bogu. It takes 3-6 months in a legitimate AUSKF dojo to earn the right to wear bogu. This is because you have to learn proper footwork and have good solid basics so you won't hurt anyone. We don't just beat on each other, and clubbing is not allowed. We lose 90 percent of beginners after their first few practices because they realise they won't be Kenshin or Kill Bill and find out that kendo is very hard work and is not flashy. You'd be practicing Men(strike to head) for a couple months at least before being allowed to do anything else, for example. And, you'd be working on footwork and trying to learn to properly strike Men using good tenouchi(proper manner of stopping the shinai. Hard to explain online. Hence, you can't learn a JSA online, hehehe.) for as long as you do kendo. That's just a couple things.

So, it's not what you think. Nobody is a master and nobody will ever be a swordmaster. They just do not exist. A person just has to join a legitimate dojo if they want to learn, and work very hard to even become reasonably decent at it over time.

Kaoru3
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Kaoru3 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 11-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokunin View Post
uuuuh, no...kendo is taken from kenjutsu with nothing put in it...so really its less kenjutsu than kenjutsu, making it the sport that it is...but its probably REALLY good for competition, kenjutsu i mean. Like if your in a kendo club and you do kenjutsu too, then you kendo will probably be SWEET!!!
Kendo is more art than sport. There is a lot of etiquette involved in both kendo and kenjutsu actually. Kenjutsu is NOT kendo and you can't use kenjutsu waza(techniques) in a kendo match unless you want to kill or seriously maim someone. In Kendo one can only strike where the bogu(armour) is on specific areas. In kenjutsu, you can strike where bogu is not. They do different strikes than we in kendo do.

So, no, knowing kenjutsu will not help a trained kendoka in a match or otherwise. Besides, it's hansoku(foul) if they use anything from another art.

If you haven't trained in either art legitimately, please don't try to discuss it. You'll just pass on incorrect information. If you want to know where to find detailed legitmate information, please ask. I can point you to it.

Kaoru3
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Kaoru3 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 11-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokunin View Post
originally kentjutsu, liek most koryu, had these too...all the do's stress mental awareness of certain aspects of battle, but your not supposed to be thinking when you fighting (you're just doing), so i never got the point of it...to kill and not be killed was the purpose, all mental statises were just along on the ride...if you were in a place that had very few battles and hardly any territory fights (like into the late tokugawa era) then you sharpen your fighters/samurai for war with mind things, but when the blades startt coming down and you want to live to see the other side...you hack away...
No. If you hack away without any thought to what you are doing, you are already dead. The other guy will know you are out of control and will kill you. If you want to live, you darned well better have better technique than the other guy and be able to have a calm, clear head. You'd have to be very aware of what is going on. If you did not think, you would not survive.

You have to be one step ahead if you wish to live. If you cut without thinking, you can't plan strategy or have any control over the situation.

"Cutting without thinking" is what happens when you have practiced so much that you can cut well without having to think about how to properly DO the cut. Understand? It's not how you fight. See, there has to be a thought process in order to defend or attack successfully, but there has to be a balance as to how much one thinks. If you think too much, you are dead. If you think too little, you'd already be dead too. See?

Anyway, this is stuff that I do not expect people to try in their backyards. It's too dangerous.

Kaoru3
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kitski (Offline)
Kakkoi

12-07-2007, 01:42 PM

wow Kaoru3.thanks for clearing that for me.our forum needs people like you:3
but i still thank cooly and kokunin for trying to explain it.
post more of your knowledge Kaoro3

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus