JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kitski (Offline)
Kakkoi

Smile Kenjutsu - 03-03-2007, 06:19 PM

Kenjutsu is the Japanese martial art specializing in the use of the katana.Schools such as Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, Kashima Shinto-ryu, Kashima Shin-ryu, Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu, Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu are some of the more famous still existing.would it be awesome to learn this at school..
check it out...
Kenjutsu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus
(#2 (permalink))
Old
lehmki (Offline)
Come over to the darkside

03-03-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitski View Post
Kenjutsu is the Japanese martial art specializing in the use of the katana.Schools such as Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, Kashima Shinto-ryu, Kashima Shin-ryu, Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu, Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu are some of the more famous still existing.would it be awesome to learn this at school..
check it out...
Kenjutsu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
damn i wish to learn it but here in estonia they dont teach it ..and i want an katana :'( why cant i have one :'(

Bro to CN and to Musashi
evil dentist shinigami captain who's reiatsu powers match Kenpachi and Ullriquora put together! to Aoshi
The cool old bro, who teases hes younger bro NIghtmare
Protective bro to curious_jane
Choco the family guardian
Teasing brother to wbslngr
Personal Bodyguard - Michieru
My pretty maid - Ayame90
and a very loyal butler - ImmortalFlare
Right Hand Mistress of Darkness-QuoyaNatsume
(#3 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
03-04-2007, 09:48 AM

Interesting... kenjutsu is similar to kendo.., but not quite... kenjutsu is the teaching of only waza(technique) of sword work, cutting, striking and sparring. kendo is the teaching of kenjutsu with the added aspect of teaching "Do", the way to seishin-ryoku(mental power?). The teaching of "Do" encompases all the mental aspects we associate with kendo; rei-gi, concepts of mushin, heijyoushin, kokoro-gamae, mokusou, zazen and all the others. So, rather than thinking about kendo and kenjutsu as two seperate arts, think of it as kenjutsu and kendo are the same, with kendo adding the extra mental aspect.
If there's any difference, it would be the proper cutting with a sword, and the targets. Some targets are meant to be aimed at common(fuedal) armor weaknesses. Kendo cuts to the target, merely hitting it. Kenjutsu cuts through the target - quite apart from differences due to weight, length and shape of weapon and the restrictions on what is a valid target in kendo.
For example, in one of my friend's father's dojo, they wear bogu(a special protective armor in the martial arts) sometimes for sparring, as others do in kendo. But the difference comes in the fact that in kendo, they use the bogu as targets for attack, whereas in his school, they use bogu to learn how to cut around the armor. They also custom make their shinai(a bamboo sword used for practising purposes), which are completely different from a kendo shinai so they can execute their attacks without killing anyone. You can tell a kenjutsu school by its curriculum. Kenjutsu dojos were started in the fuedal times to teach the arts of war.

Well, after all that crap, guess I should contribute my two cents, as well. ^_^

An image of a katana

And for those of you who don't know the difference between a katana and a katar, I've specially taken five seconds to locate the picture of a katar =P

A scene in a kenjutsu school, I believe..

A 3 minute video demonstration on Aikido Iaido Yawara do "Tecniche di Kenjutsu". It's kinda cool.

P.S. If there're any mistakes in my post, feel free to correct me.

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 03-04-2007 at 10:35 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kitski (Offline)
Kakkoi

03-04-2007, 04:46 PM

awesome coolnard..thanks for helping me to understand kendo.so if a person masters both kenjutsu and a kendo then he/she becomes the ultimate sword master--that's cool..
video was cool..thanks again for showing us this

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus
(#5 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
03-04-2007, 04:51 PM

You're welcome I love sports after all ^^

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Thunda (Offline)
Don't bother reading

Send a message via MSN to Thunda
09-06-2007, 06:13 PM

those pants

Man I'm busy as hell. Hit me up on MSN or pm me.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
09-06-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitski View Post
awesome coolnard..thanks for helping me to understand kendo.so if a person masters both kenjutsu and a kendo then he/she becomes the ultimate sword master--that's cool..
video was cool..thanks again for showing us this
uuuuh, no...kendo is taken from kenjutsu with nothing put in it...so really its less kenjutsu than kenjutsu, making it the sport that it is...but its probably REALLY good for competition, kenjutsu i mean. Like if your in a kendo club and you do kenjutsu too, then you kendo will probably be SWEET!!!

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kokunin (Offline)
POwer of the tongue

Send a message via MSN to kokunin Send a message via Yahoo to kokunin
09-06-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
Interesting... kenjutsu is similar to kendo.., but not quite... kenjutsu is the teaching of only waza(technique) of sword work, cutting, striking and sparring. kendo is the teaching of kenjutsu with the added aspect of teaching "Do", the way to seishin-ryoku(mental power?). The teaching of "Do" encompases all the mental aspects we associate with kendo; rei-gi, concepts of mushin, heijyoushin, kokoro-gamae, mokusou, zazen and all the others. So, rather than thinking about kendo and kenjutsu as two seperate arts, think of it as kenjutsu and kendo are the same, with kendo adding the extra mental aspect.
If there's any difference, it would be the proper cutting with a sword, and the targets. Some targets are meant to be aimed at common(fuedal) armor weaknesses. Kendo cuts to the target, merely hitting it. Kenjutsu cuts through the target - quite apart from differences due to weight, length and shape of weapon and the restrictions on what is a valid target in kendo.
For example, in one of my friend's father's dojo, they wear bogu(a special protective armor in the martial arts) sometimes for sparring, as others do in kendo. But the difference comes in the fact that in kendo, they use the bogu as targets for attack, whereas in his school, they use bogu to learn how to cut around the armor. They also custom make their shinai(a bamboo sword used for practising purposes), which are completely different from a kendo shinai so they can execute their attacks without killing anyone. You can tell a kenjutsu school by its curriculum. Kenjutsu dojos were started in the fuedal times to teach the arts of war.

An image of a katana

And for those of you who don't know the difference between a katana and a katar, I've specially taken five seconds to locate the picture of a katar =P

A 3 minute video demonstration on Aikido Iaido Yawara do "Tecniche di Kenjutsu". It's kinda cool.

originally kentjutsu, liek most koryu, had these too...all the do's stress mental awareness of certain aspects of battle, but your not supposed to be thinking when you fighting (you're just doing), so i never got the point of it...to kill and not be killed was the purpose, all mental statises were just along on the ride...if you were in a place that had very few battles and hardly any territory fights (like into the late tokugawa era) then you sharpen your fighters/samurai for war with mind things, but when the blades startt coming down and you want to live to see the other side...you hack away...

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
-God

good night...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Hyshinara (Offline)
New to JF

11-03-2007, 12:49 AM

So, actually, we do kenjutsu too at our ninjutsu club...
Our ninjutsu is allready ninjutsu and jujutsu combined and at the moment, I have a boken and tonfa to train with.
So, in theory, I do ninjutsu, jujutsu, kenjutsu and tonfajutsu at the same time
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kaoru3 (Offline)
New to JF

Smile 11-05-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post

An image of a katana

Hello there!

I just joined this board to correct all of you since none of you know what you are talking about in regard to kenjutsu and kendo. There are a load of misconceptions here. I study kendo in a legitimate kendo dojo. I am a member of the AUSKF(All US Kendo Federation) and so is my dojo.

It is very late(No idea why I'm still awake.) so I will break this post down into bits later when I have had enough sleep so you all understand what these two arts are and are not.

Just so you all know. There is NOT sparring in legitimate kenjutsu. If you try to spar, you will kill someone or seriously injure them for life. Bokuto are wooden swords. They can kill and break bones. If you use live(sharp) blades, you will kill someone or maim them for life. You may die too.

I will expound more on this later.

Kaoru3