LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Rontaz (Offline)
New to JF

Kyokushin - 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
As part of my new years resolution, I'd like to take up a martial arts. I used to practice Shotokan Karate when I was younger. I loved it, but have stop now for many years.

At my Uni, I've got the following choices.

Aikido
French Boxing (?)
Fencing
Ju Jitsu
Qi Dong (kung fu?)
TaeKwonDo
Viet Do Dao

The main purpose of me doing one of these is basically to get fit. I don't see myself ever becoming a "master"!

EDIT: Viet Do Dao has been added!
If i had to take one of them i would go for the Aikido,but only if i had to take one of them, Is there no Kyokushin school nearby ? or if not perhaps a shotokan school ?

Greets
(#22 (permalink))
Old
koraliuxxx777 (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2010, 10:54 AM

Me favourite Martial arts Aikido,this hard sport
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Zandelin (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Zandelin
05-31-2010, 04:04 PM

Personally there are a few martial art styles that I have interest in and would love to learn here is a bit of a short list hopefully my spelling is ok.

Tai Chi
Daulyn
Soft Fist
Wii Tai
(#24 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2010, 09:20 PM

If only it was possible I would study Hokuto shinken.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#25 (permalink))
Old
BLooregard (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to BLooregard
06-24-2010, 07:16 PM

My brother practice Shotokan Karate Traditional for 5 years. He is so small and thin, but he has a big power in his arms. Is so strong, and he is psyhically changed, isn't that emotional.
I think is a good thing, and maybe I will practice Aikido...maybe XD

We're breaking down all the walls that hold us in
We're taking love to a new dimension
Cherry kisses upon my tainted skin
Flying high to a new adventure
<333
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Eiri02 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-29-2010, 03:29 AM

Fencing and TaeKwonDo...The combo of speed and power would come in handy!!! and oh yeah you'll be physically fit alright LOL!!!!!

We are art...aren't we?
(#27 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-31-2010, 12:08 PM

i didnt read all the posts, but if you want to get fit simply go to the gym - lift some weights. since people who are seriouse about martial arts start them from age of 4 and since you are 23 years old then you wont get any benefits - not in fitness and not in skills. sorry but it is over rated when people start these self defense courses when they are basicly grown ups and think that will benefit them in huge way - well 1 out of a 100 who will train for some 10 years will, but the rest will still probably get beat up by simply a larger guy with more muscle.
i did attend karate courses for 3 years (5 hrs a week) and it was pretty usless - for fitness definetly. if you want to get fit and be able to defend yourself then hit the gym. it worked out form me, dont see why shouldnt for you.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-31-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
i didnt read all the posts, but if you want to get fit simply go to the gym - lift some weights. since people who are seriouse about martial arts start them from age of 4 and since you are 23 years old then you wont get any benefits - not in fitness and not in skills. sorry but it is over rated when people start these self defense courses when they are basicly grown ups and think that will benefit them in huge way - well 1 out of a 100 who will train for some 10 years will, but the rest will still probably get beat up by simply a larger guy with more muscle.
i did attend karate courses for 3 years (5 hrs a week) and it was pretty usless - for fitness definetly. if you want to get fit and be able to defend yourself then hit the gym. it worked out form me, dont see why shouldnt for you.
There are plenty of professional fighters (or amateurs fighters like myself) who have either began their training at a late teen age (16-18 or older), or were already working professionals before they decided to try on a pair of gloves.
You may not become a professional fighter, but discounting martial arts training because you're "too old" and won't see benefits is completely false. It's not about the age, but the person themself (as in how they learn and adapt), and their training/instruction.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#29 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-31-2010, 12:34 PM

sure there are and im glad for those who were dedicated enough to become ones...but lets be honest - for each of those "late" professionals there are some 100 who havent achieved anything.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-31-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
sure there are and im glad for those who were dedicated enough to become ones...but lets be honest - for each of those "late" professionals there are some 100 who havent achieved anything.
Saying that can literally apply to any hobby/activity/whatever that anyone does in life. Why do anything if you're never going to be the absolute best at it? That's not why we do what we do, otherwise we'd never do anything. Just because you're one of the people who felt unaccomplished doesn't mean everyone else does too.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography