JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BJT (Offline)
New to JF

Japan Golf Question - 03-18-2010, 07:08 AM

I have a question I hope someone can answer regarding Japan LPGA golfer Michiko Hattori. I can not read Japanese language news and sports sites so this forum seemed like a good place to make an inquiry. I am a golf fan and I follow the Japan LPGA; I know that Michiko did not finish in the top 50 on JLPGA money list last year for the first time since early 1990's so she did not qualify for the tour this year. I don't think she is retired from professional golf so I wonder if she will still play in some tournaments. Perhaps she will be invited to play, or receive exemptions for some tournaments. If anyone has information or knows of a good English language site that might have more details and news on the Japan LPGA I would appreciate their help. There is almost no coverage of JLPGA events and players on sports sites in the USA. Thank you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BJT (Offline)
New to JF

05-13-2010, 05:55 AM

Hello, no one answered my initial query so I thought I would ask again. I realize that there may not be any info on Michiko and so no one knows her status of if she will compete again. But perhaps someone has a friend or knows someone who follows women's golf in Japan and can ask them? As Hattori is only 41 she should have many good years of golf ahead but perhaps she has retired due to drop off in performance last year? I hope not but if anyone has info or can find out if Michiko Hattori will be back playing on the Japan LPGA I would appreciate it....there really isn't anywhere else to inquire about this. Thanks.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

05-13-2010, 10:00 AM

If you lived in Japan (and spoke Japanese), you would not hear about Hattori these days in the media at all. I cannot even recall when the last time was I heard about her in the sports section of national TV news programs.

After a few minutes of searching on the internet, I cannot find any news about her current activities or retirement. Yet I have found that:

1. Her official blog has not been updated since July 2008. The last entry says "We are very sorry but no comments will be made here for some time."

http://white.ap.teacup.com/michiko/

2. She got married early this year and some people say she is a great housewife type. She's quoted as saying that she would like to have children.

I hate to speculate since you're a fan. So I will leave it at that.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BJT (Offline)
New to JF

05-14-2010, 06:48 AM

Yes, I assumed since her last tourament victory was 2005 that there would not be much coverage of her these days; but I also figured if she had retired there would have been mention in Japan press since she is a former #1 and Player of the Year. Since nothing has been said about retirement perhaps she is just taking break due to marriage, or maybe she wants to have a child first and then come back. Anyway, thanks very much for searching Japan sites, and for providing the information for me....very nice of you and at least I know what is going on now.