JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
12-01-2010, 03:35 PM

I still have the tools in my garage, except the bait boat which I had to sell. Haven't used them in the last few months, because of the weather (too cold). Maybe I'll do some ice fishing, before spring arrives, when it's thick enough for that.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

12-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feurious07 View Post
hi guys ,
nice information about fishing !
me also like it ,
but there is no such place to do it !
so i miss it very badly .............................................
I'm sorry to hear that. May I ask what country you live in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny
man. i used to go fishing all the time. i loved to go into the sea for sea bass.
or all the mornings when i got up at 3 am just to be on the lake by 4 am getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.
one thing i don't like. ice fishing - too much of nothing. on the other hand my father loves it so much that he goes ice fishing when there isn't any ice also he has had 2 occasions when ice has broken in but he was among lucky ones and got out. here its so often that some 20 every year drown during ice fishing.

but for me fishing is like going after mushrooms - i like the process but can't say i dig the food.
Haha, that sounds great.
When you mention leaving early every morning, it makes me a little bit jealous. I'm hoping to get a new car sometime soon... I'll probably be doing a lot more casual fishing once I do.

I hope that your father stays safe. There's no telling when luck can run out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus
I still have the tools in my garage, except the bait boat which I had to sell. Haven't used them in the last few months, because of the weather (too cold). Maybe I'll do some ice fishing, before spring arrives, when it's thick enough for that.
Yeah... I haven't been out in months, either. Apparently, the fishing can be good in the autumn months, but the weather has been kind of unpredictable here. And, when I want to go fishing, the rest of the family does too, so things can get a little complicated.

Maybe next year.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Now I'm just fishing for replies.
Here's a pic of the catch:
wow that's pretty damn huge!

I've never gone fishing. I couldn't do it. Kill those poor happy fishes, when all they ever do is swim up and down the river, doing no harm to anyone LOL For real, I can't just watch them die. Making them think they're about to swallow a tasty snack then have a hook go through their scales. The poor thingies. Nasty way to leave the world. So yeah, fishing's not for me, but hey! it's cool, I understand it can be fun and I know you're not a bunch of criminals for enjoying an activity that involves death. And I know it sounds like I am being sarcastic but I really am not

<º((((((((-<

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

12-02-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
wow that's pretty damn huge!

I've never gone fishing. I couldn't do it. Kill those poor happy fishes, when all they ever do is swim up and down the river, doing no harm to anyone LOL For real, I can't just watch them die. Making them think they're about to swallow a tasty snack then have a hook go through their scales. The poor thingies. Nasty way to leave the world. So yeah, fishing's not for me, but hey! it's cool, I understand it can be fun and I know you're not a bunch of criminals for enjoying an activity that involves death. And I know it sounds like I am being sarcastic but I really am not

<º((((((((-<
No, I think a lot of people can relate to that, even professional fishermen. Do you know many fishermen release what they catch, these days? That might satisfy some of your concern.

Though, we ate the fish you saw in the picture, I did my best not to take it for granted. I personally feel that people who hunt without an appreciation for life are sick and uneducated.

Meat, unfortunately, comes from living creatures. We, not unlike many other animals, eat meat... so, the reality of killing to eat is... inevitable -- and natural -- but nonetheless cruel. Did we have to eat the fish? Probably not. However, my family was fed, it didn't go to waste, and it wasn't disrespected. There're many ways you can look at it, philosophically.

We just happened to be the better "hunter" this time. The fish itself hunted our bait, believing it was a smaller creature to eat. It was a mistake. There are times that even human beings are succussfully hunted by other creatures. And animals don't always kill to eat. You can't blame them just as you can't blame us... but, I suppose with enough passion, you could accuse anyone of being unjust. Life is a beautiful thing, but it's unforgiving by nature.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 12-02-2010 at 06:02 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

12-02-2010, 06:06 AM

Btw, that is my little brother holding the fish... so it looks bigger than it actually was. It was roughly 1.5-2 lbs.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

12-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
No, I think a lot of people can relate to that, even professional fishermen. Do you know many fishermen release what they catch, these days? That might satisfy some of your concern.
Well, the harm's done so you might as well take it home and make a good meal out of it. By tossing the fish back into the water you're only prolonging its pain.

Quote:
Meat, unfortunately, comes from living creatures. We, not unlike many other animals, eat meat... so, the reality of killing to eat is... inevitable -- and natural -- but nonetheless cruel. Did we have to eat the fish? Probably not. However, my family was fed, it didn't go to waste, and it wasn't disrespected. There're many ways you can look at it, philosophically.We just happened to be the better "hunter" this time. The fish itself hunted our bait, believing it was a smaller creature to eat. It was a mistake. There are times that even human beings are succussfully hunted by other creatures. And animals don't always kill to eat. You can't blame them just as you can't blame us... but, I suppose with enough passion, you could accuse anyone of being unjust. Life is a beautiful thing, but it's unforgiving by nature.
Yeah, I get that. Like I said, I'm not against fishing and I understand the need for humans to feed on animals. There's people who don't eat meat so it is evitable to kill for food. Actually fish is the only meat I eat. And chicken. But I believe humans are too closely related to mammals to go and have them become our food. To me, eating a cow is pretty much like eating another human being LOL Nah it's not, but you get what I mean.

So yeah, don't take anything I said as a personal attack on you. I have lots of friends who like going fishing, I don't have a problem with that. Plus I get fish from the market all the time, so that makes me a killer too. Even worse. I pay so that I don't have to do the nasty job of killing it >.>'

Anyway, I didn't mean to throw in a controversial point. Enjoy your fishing!

(#17 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

12-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Well, the harm's done so you might as well take it home and make a good meal out of it. By tossing the fish back into the water you're only prolonging its pain.
I'm not sure I completely agree. Generally, fish are only harmed by 2 things when they're caught: A prick in the lip from the hook, and a physchological experience from being taken out of its enviroment and subject to the mercy of the fisherman. Though, the level of intelligence a fish has can be arguably low, I like to believe they're more intelligent than we might believe.

There are also exceptions to this, depending on the method (and competence of the fisherman). But, the majority of fisherman are inclined to use a line and hook or net.

Also, I think your statement would be valid in the case when fish are accidentally caught the wrong way (e.g. hooked via the throat -- contributed by factors such as the aggressiveness of the fish and the type of hook) or somehow mortally harmed (e.g. excessive time out of the water, in the sun, being handled, etc.)... in which case, being "spared" would be a fate more cruel than a meaningful death.

Whatever the case, generally, having a small wound could be preferred over losing one's life altogether. To reiterate, the only time being "spared" would be worse would be if you'd already received a mortal wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki
So yeah, don't take anything I said as a personal attack on you. I have lots of friends who like going fishing, I don't have a problem with that. Plus I get fish from the market all the time, so that makes me a killer too. Even worse. I pay so that I don't have to do the nasty job of killing it >.>'

Anyway, I didn't mean to throw in a controversial point. Enjoy your fishing!
I will! And, no, I don't consider it a personal attack. I think the point you brought up about eating mammals is interesting. I've never heard that interpretation before.

I don't blame people for being against it. Lol, sorry if I'm sounding too philosphical, but, human beings are stubborn creatures; they'll argue against anything, even if it seemed futile. People butcher animals all the time just as animals butcher animals. It's a tragic reality of life; tragic because it's sometimes necessary.

Necessary nonetheless tragic.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 12-02-2010 at 07:33 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

12-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Whatever the case, generally, having a small wound could be preferred over losing one's life altogether. To reiterate, the only time being "spared" would be worse would be if you'd already received a mortal wound.
Maybe.

Or the fish once back in the water would be leaving a trace of blood behind, so that its predators (bigger fish) would have it easy to trace it and put its life to an end So, it gets eaten either way, therefore, putting it back into the water is no use.

Quote:
I don't blame people for being against it. Lol, sorry if I'm sounding too philosphical, but, human beings are stubborn creatures; they'll argue against anything, even if it seemed futile. People butcher animals all the time just as animals butcher animals. It's a tragic reality of life; tragic because it's sometimes necessary.

Necessary nonetheless tragic.
I agree fully. The reason why I choose not to eat meat is not for the sake of goodness and decency towards other species, but because I just can't bring myself to. I don't see how it's any different from eating human meat. When you're eating beef you're actually eating from the body of an animal. Gross. Also, it's been so long since I last ate a piece of red meat my stomach can no longer take it. Anyway, I'm deviating from the topic and I do not wish to do so