LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

11-04-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
A push kick is a push kick, you use it to push your oponent away, i don't think it was meant to break anything
It breaks confidence and deadlocks.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

11-04-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
A damaging front kick would be a great addition to a Muay Thai arsenal.
The differences in basic stance make it impossible to throw in Muay Thai. Though it can be done from the teeping stance, there are still style issues where it is not compatible.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-04-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Back kicks of all kinds are almost impossible to counter. The chance of landing a good one is low, perhaps, but there's little risk involve.
Eh?

Missing a back kick puts you in a seriously disadvantaged position.

The back kick is only good as a counter particularly when your opponent is rushing forward.

And headbutts can break noses when delivered properly. It's a nuisance when boxers or Muay Thai fighters try to get in sneaky shots with the head but as an attack it's pretty brutal if it connects.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
tisgrey (Offline)
New to JF

11-05-2010, 04:32 PM

i ifnd that alot of martial arts require you to interpret them for them to be effective. im a 2nd dan in shotokan karate and although id maintain that it is an effective martial art there is a gap in the training where we should practice throws and grappling (this may be differant for other karate styles). this is why i also do ninjutsu and as a martial art it is one of the best i have encountered although an amazing set of teachers might have something to do with it (they used to go to russia to teach soldiers).

ninjutsu is kind of like a traditional MMA (with weapons) which is good because you get all the best things from other martial arts but with a system which promotes respect within the club since ive known cage fighters to be pretty arrogant about other students and other martial arts.

as a fighting style im not into spinning back kicks and axe kicks... i just prefer using alot of simple but effective strikes and grabs and pushes if i get the oppurtunity (to try to get to my opponents back to put on strangle holds and things like that).... it looks messy and but it gets the job done quickly and works for me.....
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

11-06-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Eh?

Missing a back kick puts you in a seriously disadvantaged position.

The back kick is only good as a counter particularly when your opponent is rushing forward.

And headbutts can break noses when delivered properly. It's a nuisance when boxers or Muay Thai fighters try to get in sneaky shots with the head but as an attack it's pretty brutal if it connects.
Perhaps you should find a video on You Tube or somewhere where a back kick backfired.

Missing a back kick puts you back in the position you started in. I see no problem. Missing a round kick is worse.

What good is breaking someone's nose going to do, Ronin?

(#36 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post karate - 01-13-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
I only did two years of Shotokan Karate so I'm kind of curious about what Karateka and others feel about Karate.

Some questions I wanted to cover:
1) Has karate lost effectiveness over time or is it better today?
One should not mix various sport styles of karate-do with rude applied karate from, say, units of some army special forces. In sport competiton you must to win by score while a soldier must to kill an opponent by naked hands. Different tasks mean different tactics.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Perhaps you should find a video on You Tube or somewhere where a back kick backfired.

Missing a back kick puts you back in the position you started in. I see no problem. Missing a round kick is worse.

What good is breaking someone's nose going to do, Ronin?
I gave a specific scenario for when the back kick was appropriate. Any technique can backfire.

Missing a round kick is only worse if your opponent anticipates you.

As for what good a broken nose does.. In a fight it hurts and you'll blur their vision.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-13-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
One should not mix various sport styles of karate-do with rude applied karate from, say, units of some army special forces. In sport competiton you must to win by score while a soldier must to kill an opponent by naked hands. Different tasks mean different tactics.
I'm not aware of an "army type" karate.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post awareness - 01-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I'm not aware of an "army type" karate.
For instance, there are special units in armed forces of Vietnam. Among other disciplines, they learn certain methods of killing opponents by strikes of naked hands in throat, nasal bone, eyes etc. It can be translated in English as "combat or applied karate" .
(#40 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post combat karate - 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM

Instructor from special forces demonstrates techniques of applied karate :

YouTube - Ударные комбинации для улицы