JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)
I wuvs Rikku the most! <3

Send a message via MSN to AoshiShinomori
Katana - The Samurai "Slicer" - 04-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Well I looked around for a sword thread and didn't find one. Since its not possible to have a japan forum and not talk about Katana's I though I'd make a thread about it.

I will mention here however, that talking only about Katana's will not keep this thread alive for very long. However, on the other hand I want this thread to be related to japan so as to keep with the whole idea of a Japan Forum. That being the case, this thread will contain:

1. Information on Katana (other swords/types may be quoted for comparison purposes only)

2. Pictures of katana. (Other swords may also be shown for comparison purposes)

3. Pictures/descriptions of non-real swords - These are also called fantasy swords. However, it is important that these swords be related to japanese culture in some way for them to find a place in this thread.

4. Pictures/descriptions of swords appearing in Anime - This is an effort to allow posting in this thread regularly since regular anime almost always contains some kind of sword. It is to be noted that not all anime deal with Katanas and in those cases that don't it is still alright to describe or post pictures of those swords here.

and lets face it - everybody loves to drool over a cool sword

Before we move on to the actual descriptions/posts, some dedications are in order (as nard-kun has shown us all ):

I dedicate this thread to...

1. Eki (Gotta start with the boss )
2. Gwen, Kudou, Kanji and Vesperd (yep he's now around ) for modding and maintaining such a wonderful atmosphere here at JF.
3. JF old members (Avary-sama [coz he's the official JF ninja], NinjaKasumi, Samokan-chan and a whole list of others)
4. Some special people (and my oldest friends here) on JF *yay* [I.Doll, Nard-kun, Rikku-dona, Superwoman!]
5. My bestest pals here [All the above plus Fuu, Kitski, DT, Carry, Trainy, Hisu, Kakashi, K-cube, Kat, ObscureLove aaaand DR! <and this list goes on and is growing each day> ]
5. Everybody else! <list too exhaustive to name >

So without further ado...

Edited:

I would also like to mention a couple of helpful hints when posting on this thread:

1. Please don't paste pics that are bigger than the page length. Instead paste the link to the pics so we can follow the links to see the pics in their original beauty!

2. Don't quote pictures when you post. Just quote their links. This means that you need to manually and explicitly remove the img and /img tags when quoting people.

Omae mo kanjite no ka... kaze no koe?

Last edited by AoshiShinomori : 04-11-2007 at 06:19 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

Lets start from the very beginning - 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM

What is a Katana?

Katana is a kind of japanese longsword. Almost every culture has come up with their own kind of sword. These swords all have different attributes. Some are short and some are long while others are extremely long!

A long sword as the name suggests is a sword that is about 2 ft in length. These are not exact measurements, but are simply a relative measure compared to other knifing tools such as daggers.

Long swords have been seen in many races throughout history. What comes to mind immediately are the scots. They had long swords that were straight, and rigid. This is not to be mistaken with a broadsword which is much heavier than a longsword and is (as the name suggests) broader as well.

The signature of a Katana on the other hand is that it is curved. This is due to the process through which it is made... which I shall elaborate on in one of the following posts as and when I get to complete the write up.

A katana is traditionally the weapon of the warrior class of people. It is sometimes worn along with another shorter sword called the wakizashi. Together these two swords are called daisho. There is also the option of carrying a much smaller knifing tool, imitating a dagger. This "sword" is called the Tanto. Together, these three implements form the complete sword set that a warrior carries around.

As can be guessed, the long sword is the one used for open combat, while the shorter swords are used for a variety of other close combat manouvers, stabbing moves and the highly honoured but much resented Seppuku (ritual suicide).

Here are some pics of longswords:

Notice that the sword is straight and elongated in the picture above

Notice the thin and long blade with the long hilt for balance.

On the other hand, the Katana is slightly curved and not straight. Here are a few pictures:

Here is another one

(#3 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

Send a message via AIM to dragonrazor Send a message via MSN to dragonrazor Send a message via Yahoo to dragonrazor
04-09-2007, 10:03 PM

that first one's technically not a longsword...not long enough.,..i'd say it's more of a handandahalf...or maybe a short sword

"If we have to dance to the strings of an unseen force, that makes us no better than Zio" Chaz Ashley (not sure japanese name) Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium
(#4 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

The beginnings of the Katana - 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Legend has it that the katana was invented in the 700BC period in Japan along with the folded steel process. History however, feels differently and facts show us that it is possible the folded steel process was brought in from China during trade.

Swords forged between 987 and 1597 are called koto (lit., "old swords"); these are considered the pinnacle of Japanese swordcraft. Initial swords that were made tended to have the curve at the hilt (handle) while swords made later had the curve move up the blade and closer towards the center of the blade.

Swords were usually worn with the cutting edge facing down and mostly on the left side. Why would someone wear the cutting edge up you might wonder. That is true, one would need to be either masochistic or stupid to attempt to pull out a sword edge first! The previous statement however refers to other methods of wearing swords like those hung on the back (both vertically and horizontally). That it was worn on the left is probably attributable to the fact that a large number of the warrior class people were primarily right handed so that their Iaijutsu (sword drawing technique also called Iaido) was more powerful when drawn with the right hand than with the left. Sword fighting however, required the use of both hands to hold the sword. A sword worn in such a manner (left and edge down) is called "Tachi". Wikipedia also cited that the signature on the sword (Called Nakago) would be inscribed in such a manner that it would always show on the outside when worn.

Inital japanese swords were not curved like the modern day Katana. They were in fact straight like the original longswords.

However, during the Heian period curved swordmaking techniques were developed to serve the use of the military. Military at that time consisted mostly of Cavalry and using a straight sword from horseback was far less effcient when compared to fighting with a curved sword. A curved sword added to a better downward thrust.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

Send a message via AIM to dragonrazor Send a message via MSN to dragonrazor Send a message via Yahoo to dragonrazor
04-09-2007, 10:10 PM

what about other japanese weapons? because i'm sure i could find a pic of a Naginata or japanese daggers

"If we have to dance to the strings of an unseen force, that makes us no better than Zio" Chaz Ashley (not sure japanese name) Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium
(#6 (permalink))
Old
obscureLOVE (Offline)
fiuuu <3

04-09-2007, 10:11 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
i ADORE katana's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa
(#7 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

04-09-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrazor View Post
that first one's technically not a longsword...not long enough.,..i'd say it's more of a handandahalf...or maybe a short sword
You're right. It's kinda hard to say from the image but it was a good example of a small hilt and long sword blade (comparitively). However, it is quite possible that it is a long sword as well since we don't actually have a relative piece to measure against...

(#8 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

04-09-2007, 10:13 PM

OL-Chan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you weren't around here anymore. It is sooo good to see you back! I'm going to dedicate this to you too! *Rushes back to edit first post*

@DR - Naginata's coming up in the future posts . Like you said they are the special sword types. If you have info right away (or pics) I'd be honoured if you'd post them I'll fill in the background as I get the write up complete. This thread has been a while in the making so I'm not complete yet with all the other stuff on my plate

(#9 (permalink))
Old
dragonrazor (Offline)
that guy in your dreams

04-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshiShinomori View Post
You're right. It's kinda hard to say from the image but it was a good example of a small hilt and long sword blade (comparitively). However, it is quite possible that it is a long sword as well since we don't actually have a relative piece to measure against...
true enough....i'm good at judging swords though

as for the naginatas, do you prefer authentic, or modern replicas?

(#10 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)

04-09-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrazor View Post
true enough....i'm good at judging swords though

as for the naginatas, do you prefer authentic, or modern replicas?
Both!!!!! Authentic first, Replicas next so it would be a really good comparison! *Eager for DR's post and pics*