JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Sports (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-sports/)
-   -   Katana sharper at the end? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-sports/4817-katana-sharper-end.html)

Jedi 05-25-2007 06:54 PM

Katana sharper at the end?

Sorry didnt know where to post it, so I post here.

I heard that a Katana is just sharp at the end. I have one, its sharp everywhere but I think its just a bit sharper on the end.

Hotaru100 05-25-2007 08:50 PM

Katana

I didn't hear about that before
but I would like to show you this:

Kaicui 05-25-2007 08:53 PM

It depends on the type of katana ur talking about...my grandpas is the same sharpnes through out the whole sword

Hotaru100 05-25-2007 09:14 PM

Katana

Yes!
there are many "katana" of the world. However, most of these do not meet the traditional requirements of the genuine Japanese katana. There is a great number of imitation katana worldwide. These blades are of inferior quality and incorporate materials such as automotive leaf spring steel, train tracks and modern steel combinations. "Katana" of this nature are far from the standards required for the title of "genuine Japanese katana (shinken)" Highly ranked

Hotaru100 05-25-2007 09:39 PM

dragonrazor 05-28-2007 02:03 AM

typically, only one being used to pierce has a sharp tip. usually the edge itself is the sharpest part of the blade

Samael 05-28-2007 02:14 AM

The upper half of the blade is considered the cutting edge. Forgive me, I've forgetten the Japanese terminology, but the top half of the blade is what will make contact with your opponent, so yes if sharpened in traditional fashion this area will have a finer edge.

Also, in before katana arguments start. XD

dragonrazor 05-28-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samael (Post 140543)
The upper half of the blade is considered the cutting edge. Forgive me, I've forgetten the Japanese terminology, but the top half of the blade is what will make contact with your opponent, so yes if sharpened in traditional fashion this area will have a finer edge.

Also, in before katana arguments start. XD

well, he's specifically asking about the tip, the END of the blade, not the top half. only on piercing katana are there sharpened tips. other than that, they're angled specifically to allow the blade itself to be able to pass through the target easily. the design of a Daito trainer is a good indication of this

ThuMpeR 06-04-2007 06:06 PM

i seen someone demostrating the cutting power of these swords on a torso-shaped ballistic gel. that thing was sliced and diced with little effort.

Quote:

well, he's specifically asking about the tip, the END of the blade, not the top half. only on piercing katana are there sharpened tips. other than that, they're angled specifically to allow the blade itself to be able to pass through the target easily. the design of a Daito trainer is a good indication of this
true. it is a "one cut, one kill" weapon.

dragonrazor 06-05-2007 11:29 AM

yeah. it's less pronounced on straight katana, except for those designed like my Galaxy piece, which has a piercing tip (even though the blade could never go through body armor, as it's stainless, not carbon steel). i recently acquired a korean blade, which looks like a straight katana, but is authentic, heavy, and has green trim v.v bright....vivid...lime....