LinkBack Thread Tools
(#271 (permalink))
Old
UrikosRandomStalker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

I had 3 other people with me. One who had a higher lvl who guided us, and two new people.

What I'm talking about, is that you can't tell what exact level the mobs are. You don't know WHO gives you quests, because you have to randomly run round a city and talk to all the people, lest the little kid hiding in the corner might give you a quest. You don't know if a mob is linked with another mob, you have to learn them ALL off by heart. You don't know if a mob is passive or if it's hostile, you have to learn all by heart.

And to use moves, you have to either go onto your menu bar and use them like that, or make macros. I mean, why was it so hard to make the macro already and assign it to a button in the first place?

Like I said, I heard that the party and the class system was amazing. and I REALLY wanted to try it to the best. But I got bored of everything else.

It's nothing special. MY friend's excuse to this was "You're just used to easy to play games like WoW. You're not used to hard games like FFXI"

It's not hard, just ridiculously necessary to lay out a game where the player not only has to grind like in all other MMO's, but where he has to learn EVERY tiny detail.

Not to mention, I got to lvl 21, and still left it. So I did not leave it before fully trying to experience it.
ouch >_< there's a few things you've missed i guess.

we now have a ffxi wiki page. people update quests, monsters, everything there is to know about ffxi in that wiki. if we don't know what the monster aggroes to, we look it up on wiki. if we wanna know where to go for the quest, we look it up on wiki. if i wanna know what the recipie for a haubergeon is, wiki. i wanna know what cures amnesia, wiki. if i wanna know what level mobs are, wiki. if i wanna know if the mobs link, wiki. every single detail about the game is there. even story / plot developments.

EDIT: this is gonna make me sound like a jack ass >_< but there is the occasional player who i meet on ffxi who i think shouldn't be playing the game cause of all the noob mistakes he / she makes. yeah, you kinda are required to know a lot of detail in ffxi. but there is the occasional time where end game players rely on wiki and other ffxi websites for help. they're essentially how people accross servers can comunicate with eachother when new quests or mobs or anything comes out.

Last edited by UrikosRandomStalker : 10-24-2008 at 10:06 AM.
(#272 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-24-2008, 10:12 AM

You see, that's the thing. To fully play and understand a game, I don't find the logic in having to rely on a website.

You might like it, but I don't want to constantly check up on a website everytime I want to know some sort of detail about game mechanics in a game, which should have been sorted and explained in the game itself.

I've played countless other MMO's, and FFXI has to be one of the worst. Imagine having to check on some sort of site whenever you want to find out how to attack in Final fantasy, for example.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#273 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

10-24-2008, 10:15 AM

lol. i completly agree. i probobly gave you the wrong impresion. i don't rely on the website ALL the time. by now, i know almost everything in the game. what sucks, though, is that i've been to that site enough times for me to memorize everything on there. so in a way, i did at one point rely on a site for a long time.

EDIT: what does piss me off atm about ffxi is that i'm 0/18 drops on a god damn hat. it took me 3 months to get to a point where i can atempt for the hat, then i atempt for the hat once or twice a week >_>
(#274 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-24-2008, 10:18 AM

It is a shame, don't get me wrong though. The system might be bad, but I hope they bring out a new FF MMO with the same class system, but with all the kinks removed.

Note: Did I ever mention how much Beatrix pisses me off? She reminds me of myself. Arrogant.

(#275 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

10-24-2008, 10:19 AM

SE is working on a new MMO for the ps3 and vista. it's called "rapture"
(#276 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-24-2008, 10:20 AM

Now THAT I'm interested in. Got a link on any info?

(#277 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

10-24-2008, 10:23 AM

SE likes to keep things secret when it comes to MMOs. the most that anyone has seen about this game is that it's for the ps3 / vista, and it will utilize some kind of new engine that's used in ff13.

i know there's a small SMALL wiki page somewhere on the internet. but i forgot where it was

EDIT: i'm fast

Rapture (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#278 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Look pretty interesting. I can't wait. Hopefully it'll take like... 2 years or so to come out. Then I'll have my studies out of the way.

(#279 (permalink))
Old
JF Old Timer

10-24-2008, 10:31 AM

i'm thinking longer. ffxi JUST came out with a new expansion back earlier this year. knowing SE, it's gonna take a good 2 years for them to release all the missions relating to the story line. on top of that, i highly doubt SE will release a MMO near the completion of an expansion back, before or after it's complete. SE will make money either if you play ffxi or rapture. but SE wants both games to be seperate. and that means that ffxi won't see another expansion til after rapture has made a good foot holding in the MMO industry.
(#280 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-24-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrikosRandomStalker View Post
i'm thinking longer. ffxi JUST came out with a new expansion back earlier this year. knowing SE, it's gonna take a good 2 years for them to release all the missions relating to the story line. on top of that, i highly doubt SE will release a MMO near the completion of an expansion back, before or after it's complete. SE will make money either if you play ffxi or rapture. but SE wants both games to be seperate. and that means that ffxi won't see another expansion til after rapture has made a good foot holding in the MMO industry.
That's even better. The more time for me to get my studies out of the way.