JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
VitrierIX (Offline)
New to JF

Cheapest place to buy a Wii in Japan? - 03-09-2008, 05:48 AM

Hi. I'm going on my first trip to Japan next month from Australia, and am planning to buy a Wii there. I originally planned to get a PS3 there, but the different region codes of the Blu-Ray prevent me from watching Blu-Ray DVDs purchased in Australia on a Japanese PS3. D;
But yeah. My sister recommended that I look around Akihabara [probably spelt wrong, sorry] for cheap deals, is this right or are there better places to buy a Wii? I read somewhere the price of a Wii in Japan was around US$250 [26000 yen], which is much cheaper to that in Australia [AU$400, 39000 yen].
The Australian bundle included the console, a controller and WiiSports.
Is the aforementioned Japanese price for just the console, or a bundle? Is it even correct? Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-09-2008, 05:55 AM

Keep in mind that the Wii isn't region-free... so you will only be able to play games from Japan...

And last I saw, the Japan Wii didn't come with any games (though I have heard of a Wii-Play bundle)

Wii not even remotely region-free - Joystiq
(#3 (permalink))
Old
VitrierIX (Offline)
New to JF

03-09-2008, 06:06 AM

Darn. Well, I've decided not to get either console until the prices get cheaper, lol. I saw the PS2 playback on Japanese PS3s as a good reason to get one, until I found out that Blu-Rays had different region codes. >_>
Thanks for your help.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-09-2008, 06:09 AM

Best of luck!

Both the DS and PS3 are region-free...FYI
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

03-09-2008, 06:21 AM

Well.

It's true you won't be able to get to play Blu-rays that are region coded from Australian retail on a japanese PS3. However PS3 games aren't region coded so you can get games no problem.

If it's Blu-Rays you want though you could always import them from the US. Amazon.com would be a good place to get good prices. Would probably be cheaper than AU retail even with the shipping. North America and Japan are both in Blu-Ray region A, so no worries about playback computability.

Japan would be the cheapest place you can get a PS3 currently. Especially if you can skip shipping. However if you can find a 20/60GB it could only play PS2 games that are NTSC-J. AU is PAL I believe.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.

Last edited by Tyrien : 03-09-2008 at 06:24 AM.