JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Joedirt (Offline)
New to JF

Why do yall love RPG's - 03-17-2008, 02:19 PM

Here in America we love first person shooting games. Why do the japaneese love RPG's so much and dis-like shooting games?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

03-17-2008, 02:40 PM

This thread isn't going to be full of stereotyping at all...

I like a game with a good story. Usually it's an RPG, rarely it's an FPS.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Joedirt (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2008, 02:47 PM

Not trying to be offensive I am just curious.

It seems there is a very different taste between American video games and Japaneese video games.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MarkDuff (Offline)
*yawns*

03-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedirt View Post
Not trying to be offensive I am just curious.

It seems there is a very different taste between American video games and Japaneese video games.
Tyrien is right but oh well I guess.......but me personaly I like both of them and I'm in Missouri......I've got many first person shooters like Black.....and then I also have some RPGs like Final Fantsy X and XII

My JF family and D.N.A. And Perv Club. Oh and please sign my Guest book. And please no bad comments
FINAL FANTASY CLAN: CODE NAME: AURON
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Joedirt (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Outsided of RPG's what is the next type of most popular video games in Japan?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
miyavikuun (Offline)
Disgraceful murder

Send a message via MSN to miyavikuun
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM

in my opinion i hate "FPS" that kind of games kill my soul i like wehen you can see the persons body while they do what ever and i like rpg's they are fun like FFVIII my favorite game of all time

MUFFIN CLUB!!!
Co-Founder and proud Member of the Miyavi Stalking Society
I own Cat from deathstars!!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kai13 (Offline)
あゆ

Send a message via Skype™ to Kai13
03-17-2008, 03:54 PM

I love RPG's myself, even though I haven't played much of it. I never liked to play FPS, I always lose -_-

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy Revenat Wings for the DS, and it rockz

I dunno why japanese don't play FPS that much, maybe because most of those games are non-japanese, or because they lose, as myself, XD

自分のブログ!
見てみてください。
(#8 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
03-17-2008, 04:06 PM

I have a personality that enables me to quickly get over things, be they songs, habits, or games, regardless of how renowned or world-popular they are. I admit FPS games are quite entertaining on a short-term basis, but in the long run, the iterative gameplay and visuals can get, well, irksome.

Like Tyrien said, the story is the essence of RPGs, with the thrill of adventure in the air. Most of these games apply entirely different tactics toward different enemies, minigames, mazes in the realistic-like vastness of the virtual worlds. In comparison, FPS games are also based on constant, liberated strategic-thinking toward individual opponents, however, they are more than often military-styled.

Even so, when you've played an RPGs, you've played them all, until a couple of years later when technology advances and prior futuristic simulations are invented.

Whereas FPS games make you sustain much required mental attention throughout, on a common theme/interest whilst honing one's hand-eye coordination abilties, RPGs are usually known to be more relaxing and enjoyable in nature, with every new, unrelated twist around the corner (that is, until you've finished the game ).

So if you're wondering why the Japanese and Americans have such a generically understating gap (if any) in gaming tastes, then those would probably be the reasons.
Ultimately, I think a combination of both game genres would be for the best. Take Hellgate London, for example, though it doesn't really suffice...

Edited: I'm so irritated now. -.- I was typing up a much, much substantial comparison when I accidentally went back to the previous page and lost it. ~_~

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 03-17-2008 at 04:41 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
03-18-2008, 09:00 AM

Top selling games in Japan are fighting games

Current top selling game is Super Smash Bro Brawl.

Jump ultimate star is one of their top Ds games

Tekken/KOF/Streetfighter/Meltyblood series/soul caliber etc etc are top grossing arcade games that sell on the console.

Rpgs sell so well b/c it just goes with the culture.

Rpgs are like movies basically and with nice story lines.

and they'll do well in the land of anime and mangas.

Also Rpgs tend to have more dept and can be really be unique in terms of game play weather it be RTS or turn based.

Leveling, collecting items and uncovering maps.

While as most FPS are pretty much the same thing, aside from a few that really stand out. Such as half life.

basically same idea of find bad guy, point at said bad guy, shoot bad guy in face. and the optional *tea bag dead enemy*

not to say that some fps's dont have a story line, but usualy its pretty weak compared to rpg.

lots of rpgs will also have a backstory or something people can follow or continue to follow.

like some games are animes that turn into RPGS and stuff or RPGS that turn into mangas/animes.

so you have a strong fanbase and its nice to continue knowing more about the characters your play after you beat the game.

and as for fighting games, its bascially all about the crazy combos and skill levels and proving you better then the person sitting across from you.

majority of gaming is done in arcades in japan, so fighting games are favored bc of the competition and the availability of lots of players to test your skill.

Its kinda hard to bring a fps into a arcade.

Unless its just a basic shoot em up game where its co-op.

while here in America, arcades is a dying fad of the 80s and early 90's.

most gaming is done at home or on the computer.

just the cultures which makes us favor fps as a whole and japan to favor fighters and rpgs

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

03-18-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
Top selling games in Japan are fighting games

Current top selling game is Super Smash Bro Brawl.

Jump ultimate star is one of their top Ds games

Tekken/KOF/Streetfighter/Meltyblood series/soul caliber etc etc are top grossing arcade games that sell on the console.

Rpgs sell so well b/c it just goes with the culture.

Rpgs are like movies basically and with nice story lines.

and they'll do well in the land of anime and mangas.

Also Rpgs tend to have more dept and can be really be unique in terms of game play weather it be RTS or turn based.

Leveling, collecting items and uncovering maps.

While as most FPS are pretty much the same thing, aside from a few that really stand out. Such as half life.

basically same idea of find bad guy, point at said bad guy, shoot bad guy in face. and the optional *tea bag dead enemy*

not to say that some fps's dont have a story line, but usualy its pretty weak compared to rpg.

lots of rpgs will also have a backstory or something people can follow or continue to follow.

like some games are animes that turn into RPGS and stuff or RPGS that turn into mangas/animes.

so you have a strong fanbase and its nice to continue knowing more about the characters your play after you beat the game.

and as for fighting games, its bascially all about the crazy combos and skill levels and proving you better then the person sitting across from you.

majority of gaming is done in arcades in japan, so fighting games are favored bc of the competition and the availability of lots of players to test your skill.

Its kinda hard to bring a fps into a arcade.

Unless its just a basic shoot em up game where its co-op.

while here in America, arcades is a dying fad of the 80s and early 90's.

most gaming is done at home or on the computer.

just the cultures which makes us favor fps as a whole and japan to favor fighters and rpgs
That's the top selling game everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyavikuun View Post
in my opinion i hate "FPS" that kind of games kill my soul i like wehen you can see the persons body while they do what ever and i like rpg's they are fun like FFVIII my favorite game of all time
But crushing a monster with a Tsunami or barrage of sword slashes then seeing it fall down and vaporize into nothingness is okay.

Huh..

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.