JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2008, 10:53 PM

Ok Lego Indy Jones isn't a sequel, but is it selling because it's innovative or because it's associated with Lego, Indiana Jones, and the Lego Star Wars series? Games which are based on films are usually really bad (unlike the lego series ones) but end up selling loads anyway.

But as I said before I love sequels, but I think MissMisa is right in that most innovative games that aren't sequels are generally overlooked (such as the ones mentioned in my previous post). GTA did well originally because of it's shock value, not because of its originality, in the same way that Manhunt got its publicity.

Last edited by Haggis : 06-21-2008 at 11:00 PM.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-22-2008, 12:20 AM

People don't buy games because they are innovative. They buy games because they are fun. That's why you see the most original games on Xbox Marketplace or Wii Store for much cheaper, as people aren't going to pay 60 dollars unless they know it'll be fun. But I'll pay 5 or 10 bucks on a gamble new game for DL, but probably not 50 or 60.

And movie games used to suck, but they have gotten a lot better in the last few years. Of course there are still crappy ones coming out, but not at nearly the rate they used to.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2008, 12:31 AM

I have to disagree when you say people buy games because they are fun (they buy them because they hope they will be fun). Why did people buy Devil May Cry 4? Because they liked Devil May Cry 1 to 3, (ie it was a sequel), because the magazines have gone on about it month after month. The game could have been absolutely rubbish, no fun at all and would have sold loads, whereas fun games, can easily be overlooked, because they are original and lack the hype.

I think that magazines may hype a game because it's a PS3 exclusive (for a short while anyway) and a sequel, and not because they think it will be fun for people... but perhaps I'm being too cynical?

Last edited by Haggis : 06-22-2008 at 12:46 AM.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2008, 07:28 AM

MMM has a point, one that I mentioned earlier: innovation does not always equal fun. Take FPS games for instance. Most FPS gamers probably play new FPS in order to play more missions, try out their skills in a different scenario, etc. There isn't all that much innovation between the FPS games, but the scenarios are what sets them apart, and that contributes to a gamer wanting to buy it. A gameplay trailer usually shows the potential buyers if they want it or not, I've noticed.

Regardless, I still think that the market could use more games that aren't holding on tight to some common formula for general success. While the Final fantasy series, for instance, are being maliciously milked by Square-Enix, I still like the fact that they're making them different from the first ten or so games.

Finally, I need to explain how sequels affect the market. This is a fact, that sequels will sell better because their title is already established on the market. This allowed for games like Alundra 2, Devil May Cry 2, Final Fantasy X-2 to sell. They're not particularly good when compared to their original instalment (although FFX-2 has its charm - love how you can do lots of sidequests).

You may also want to look at Ninja Gaiden. The first NG on the XBOX was followed by a remake, NG: Black. Then after that, a second remake: NG: Sigma. That, to me, feels like poor game design, if it had to be remade twice. Yet, it's not a flop. Not from what I've heard, anyway.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Where To Buy Japanese Videogames Online? - 12-12-2008, 11:44 AM

Got bored of searching for a thread with no luck so I may have to post one of my own if no-one replies here. I'm looking for Tatsunoko VS Capcom for the Wii (amongst others. Namco x Capcom would be nice). I've tried amazon and ebay and its £55 with £14 PnP! Theres NO WAY I'm ever going to pay over £30 for a game (including PnP). I've got a freeloader so theres no compatability issues... That was a tenner off play.com

Remember to make sure that they will ship to UK!

Any ideas guys?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me