LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
Call of Duty: World at War - 06-24-2008, 02:45 AM

Heard about it?
It's the next installment in the famed Call of Duty franchise.

At first I thought it was going to suck, cause let's face it, CoD 4 out-shined all it's predecessors that took place in past times.
But after watching the trailer I had to think again, it looks like this time around we may be able to climb trees to get a better place to snipe, and a whole slew of creative things of the sort.

One thing's for sure, "Nobody expected anything like this!"

Who's interested in it?
Who's buying?

discuss

TRAILER
IGN Video: Call of Duty: World at War PlayStation 3 Trailer - Reveal

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
06-24-2008, 02:49 AM

Wow, looks cool!

There aren't enough Pacific Theatre games out there :P . It was something of a nerdgasm when the guy started speaking Japanese XD .

If I had a PS3, I'd totally buy it!

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-24-2008, 02:54 AM

My husband is pretty concerned with how Japanese will be depicted in this. Obviously, in a negative light as they are the enemy - but *how* negative is a concern. It will make the difference in whether it`s ever released in Japan or not.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
06-24-2008, 03:02 AM

I wouldn't be too worried. In the last CoD installment, the enemy consisted of middle-eastern people and russian people. To my eye, there wasn't anything particularly demeaning towards either of them.

During WW2, there was a lot of anti-Japanese propaganda to be sure. However, that is behind us. For the sake of realism, some propagandic things may be included, but I really believe that the Japanese in this game will be depicted as nothing more than who you happen to be fighting against in this game, not as some evil empire bent on dominating the Pacific--which wasn't true back then, anyway :P .

And who knows, maybe there will be a playable Japanese character ^_^

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

06-24-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
If I had a PS3, I'd totally buy it!
The game is multi-platform.

At amnell, I would expect to play as a japanese character only in multiplayer, how in part 4 online there were two teams. USMC and the Spetsnaz (sp?)

I don't think many Japanese people will take offense to it, after all, it is JUST a game.

*laughs at non-PS3 mockery in MGS4

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 03:18 AM

I have to kick my COD4 habit before I buy this one. I like the 4 player co-op, probably the only thing missing form COD4.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever

Last edited by reptilesandsamurai : 06-24-2008 at 03:21 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-24-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER View Post
I don't think many Japanese people will take offense to it, after all, it is JUST a game.
I doubt many people would be offended. It`s the possibility that someone may be that matters. It would be more depressing than anything, as a lot of people in Japan live with their grandparents who actually did fight in these battles. I`m sure it wouldn`t sit well with some of them - which seriously hurts it`s chances of being released in Japan.

I`m not saying the game itself is at fault, but more that no matter how you present it, it would be hard to make a game about killing your countrymen an appealing one - even if it is very accurate and realistic without pulling out stereotypes and propaganda. For my husband, whose family lost a total of eight sons in the war - out of 5 brothers, his grandfather was the only who survived - there is a bit of pain involved in presenting the US side as heroes when they kill Japanese in game. That`s acceptable and expected. However, if they do pull out the stereotypes then it just becomes a feeling of disgust.

COD2 and 4 were produced by the same studio. 5 is produced by the studio that produced 3, which *did* pull the stereotype card - so he is worried.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-24-2008, 03:55 AM

Ugh... I HATE single player First person shooters. They are so scripted. Also I hate games that are based on WW2. I've read a history book... I know what happens in the end for christ sake!

Multiplayer might be cool though.. but I'm not sure that the Pacific theatre of WW2 is a wise choice as a setting for an FPS as I can't see it standing out. Unless they added planes and vehicles ala Battlefield 1942. But Vietnam would be a better setting for a jungle multiplayer FPS because of the helicopter. (Battlefield Vietnam was awesome!)

Anyway... I think the Pacific theatre of WW2 is best left for flight sim games and strategy, fleet command type games.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 06-24-2008 at 04:02 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

06-24-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
COD2 and 4 were produced by the same studio. 5 is produced by the studio that produced 3, which *did* pull the stereotype card - so he is worried.
true, I can understand that.
CoD 3 sucked!!!

anyways, we're talking about the game, not how it will sit with the Japanese people.

I jsut hope it lives up to standard presented by CoD 4

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-24-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER View Post

anyways, we're talking about the game, not how it will sit with the Japanese people.
To be honest. I'm interested in how it will sit with the Japanese more than the game.

I mean.... how did some Japanese respond to the (crappy) movie "Pearl Harbor"?

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 06-24-2008 at 05:04 AM.