JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
terra104 (Offline)
SIT BOY!

violence in games and real life - 09-28-2007, 07:12 PM

ive read an interesting debate the other day which had an input from the boss of the BBFC (the dudes that classify films in the UK) . He suggested there is no correlation with kids playing violent games, and actual violence caused by them (if any) He suggested that kids are actually quite aware of the fact that a game was fantasy, and had no connection with real life violence, and that they would not necessarily be more driven to commit a violent act, just because they were used to playing games that portrayed it ? He surely doesn't have any justified interest in saying that? After all .. research suggests otherwise .. or does it?

From a censor, I thought it was an interesting point....

Your thoughts

" i don't SUFFER from insanity, i ENJOY it"

SEE MY SIGGY AND DIE OF ENVY!!

proud chief psychologist of Aoshi Shinomori
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
09-28-2007, 07:17 PM

Generally? No, videogames do not make youngsters in-to time bombs, ready to explode and kill their parents...
Yet, there's more in-to it, the addiction from computer games can cause violent reactions, as any other addiction can.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

09-28-2007, 07:21 PM

Agree, most peope think kids are stupid!! of course they know its just a game, and its so funny because u know that u cant do it in real life!
Some studies even show that playing a violent game alows u to let go of stress and all! People should be more worried on the kids education instead of blaming games for the childrens actions. I played games i watched horror movies and i never went on a killing spree on my school.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DarknessDescends (Offline)
JF Regular

09-28-2007, 07:23 PM

Kids have always been capable of doing violent things, just like adults. I don't think that video games have anything to do with it. If you are that kind of person who would do something to hurt someone else, it doesn't matter if you play a violent video game or not, and I don't think someone who doesn't have it in them would suddenly start being that way just because of a game.

Eiri is my mom ^___^
(#5 (permalink))
Old
terra104 (Offline)
SIT BOY!

09-28-2007, 07:24 PM

actually research on brain activity using CAT scans and MMRI, have found that the activity in the brain while playing or watching violent scenes, is exactly the same as when watching a real violent scene..
ie, the same part that gets activated in reality is activated when playing a video game. this finding indicates that people get immersed in the game /movie that their brains do not distinguish fantasy violence from reality..

more over, from a behavioural perspective, it makes sense that playing violent games, will make the violent act more salient, and so it would be the first response ( it comes out easily)!!

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
09-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra104 View Post
actually research on brain activity using CAT scans and MMRI, have found that the activity in the brain while playing or watching violent scenes, is exactly the same as when watching a real violent scene..
ie, the same part that gets activated in reality is activated when playing a video game. this finding indicates that people get immersed in the game /movie that their brains do not distinguish fantasy violence from reality..

more over, from a behavioural perspective, it makes sense that playing violent games, will make the violent act more salient, and so it would be the first response ( it comes out easily)!!
What comes out of it is that a gamer could undergo an act of violence with less traumatic consequences/reactions... and yes it is true, violent games do make kids less receptive to negative real-life experience... is it a bad thing? Questionable. But it still does not make them more violent/aggressive in general.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

not enough violence in video games - 09-28-2007, 07:30 PM

the problem is not the violence it is the lack of pain that goes with the violence ? Sort of like having sweet and sour chicken, without the sour ? Yin without the Yang ? The violence in video games at whatever level still leaves who ever is playing just a passive spectator with a control pad. Until more feedback ( technology ) not 'smell a vision' stuff or vibrating thumb pads nonsense is incorporated into video games we will suffer.
P.S. Halo 3 came out Tues. i will spank u with my plasma rifle online in multi-player 8pm 3am PST . get some!
peace out.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-28-2007, 07:31 PM

No there is no influence of games at any kind of violence.Killers are already killers and they only need any excuse or inspiration to kill,It can be a book a song a movie or even a game.But they would kill anyway so there is no influence of the games or of anything else.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

09-28-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidreptile View Post
No there is no influence of games at any kind of violence.Killers are already killers and they only need any excuse or inspiration to kill,It can be a book a song a movie or even a game.But they would kill anyway so there is no influence of the games or of anything else.
Well said, dont forget parental education!!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
terra104 (Offline)
SIT BOY!

09-28-2007, 07:37 PM

alright then... what about those who already have unconscious tendencies to act aggressively?
they might be the typical next door neighbour, or classmate... dont u think these games might trigger simethin that leads to acting out these tendencies?